+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Options

2012 Options

Dombrowski has reached the crossroads of either gambling for some high priced impact players or relying on the Minors & cheap FA's... Is this team good enough to gamble on dealing quality prospects or spending uncomfortable amounts?

2nd base- I'm ok with a Santiago/Rayburn platoon... Worth for defensive purposes?

3rd base- Would like to see a good hard look at Kelly before selling the farm on a 3B man... Betemit has some pop, if his price is right... Inge is worth a few starts and late inning replacement.

Pitching- Don't see a need to sellout for another starter... Let's see what Turner/Oliver or Smyly (sp) can do as a 5th starter before giving up the spot to an average vet.... bye bye Penny, Pauley, Scherzer.

Where I have a problem is the lack of production in the OF... it's likely a bottom 5 offensive team in the league... with only one defensive player in the bunch (Kelly is ok too I guess).... not sure if Mags fits this team anymore (already have the DH locked up)... Leyland should be put out to pasture if he thinks Mags can field one game (complete liability).

Some opinions on potential FAs & and our Minor league prospects:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...keep-an-eye-on

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...tml#incart_hbx

Hot Stove
    Last edited by mercury; 11-01-2011 at 09:09 PM.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Gotta think Dombrowski learned his lesson with the Maggs experiment last year. He's gone for anything over the minimum.

Betemit's gone, he just sucks.

We need at least one plus defender at 2nd or 3rd which may help Inge keep his job. Not endorsing that just stating it.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

I don't like Santiao and Rayburn platooning...sick of it. If DD can't find a decent 2nd baseman either FA or trade, then he isn't doing his job, imo. I'd much rather have Inge at 3rd than Santiago/Rayburn at 2nd. jmho.

Santiago should be resigned for sure. His value is spot starts, not an every day starter.

Boesch in left is good. I really soured on AJ in center both offensively and defensively at the end of the year. Hopefully DD can bring in an outfielder.

Pitching is fine...with a minor addition here or there.

So for me just bring in a starting 2nd baseman and an outfield and I'd be happy. If a 3rd baseman falls in our lap over a trade, go for it.

I'd like a good backup catcher too.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    What do you think, Vin?

Third base: Wilson Betemit did some decent things down the stretch for the Tigers this fall, but disappeared in the playoffs and should be allowed to sign elsewhere. Without Betemit, the Tigers will be left with Brandon Inge and Don Kelly as their only options at third base. Though they have their moments, neither Inge nor Kelly alone will contribute what is needed offensively every day to win a World Series, and their roles on the team seem to cancel each other out. In a perfect world, the Tigers swallow Inge’s deal, find a new third baseman and use Kelly for the super-sub role. The problem? Much like second base, the free agent market for third basemen is sparse at best. Aramis Ramirez will be the biggest prize available, but his bat comes with the caveat of age and expense.

Game plan: Explore a trade. If the Tigers choose to upgrade third base instead of second base with a big ticket addition, the trade market would be the most appealing place to find a long term solution. Dombrowski should call the Mets regarding David Wright and the Padres about Chase Headley. Otherwise, they could choose to get involved with Ramirez, but they should probably steer clear of him and anyone else on a sparse free agent list.

Second base: After two years of confusion following the departure of Placido Polanco, the Tigers should make finding a new everyday second baseman a goal this offseason. The bad news? Like third base, free agency provides few game changing options at second. Kelly Johnson and Aaron Hill are two names that come to mind which would add some speed and pop to the order. Both are good contact hitters that could set the table for the middle of the order. Jamey Carroll is a steady option in free agency, but is likely more of a platoon player. Beyond that, there isn’t much on the open market. If the Tigers decide to solidify second base long term this offseason, they may have to explore a trade.

Game plan: The Tigers should sign Aaron Hill or Kelly Johnson, but not before they kick the tires on Brandon Phillips of the Cincinnati Reds. Phillips had his option picked up recently, but there have been a few rumblings that he may be available. Dave Dombrowski should at least give the Reds a call and inquire on his availability. If the Tigers don’t move fast in free agency to pick up a Hill, Johnson or even someone like Carroll, you can bet there is something in the works somewhere with regards to a trade.

Starting pitcher: Last offseason, the Tigers were reluctant to add to their pitching staff with a bigger name and instead chose to go the route of promoting Phil Coke to the rotation while signing journeyman veteran Brad Penny. That plan didn’t work out so well during the season. This offseason, the Tigers should be in better shape having already obtained Doug Fister during the summer. They could choose to make one bold move that would make the rotation tough to beat. If the Tigers were to make a move here, a left handed pitcher would be the best option. Fortunately, a few good names exist. C.J. Wilson and Mark Burhle are both left handers who could be the missing piece to a Tigers rotation in dire need of a capable southpaw.

Game plan: Sign Mark Burhle. The Tigers should negotiate with Wilson, but if teams like the New York Yankees and Washington Nationals get involved, expect his price to increase tenfold. He’ll likely price himself out of the Tigers salary range, unless they deem him the number one target on their free agency list. Burhle seems like the better option. He’s a crafty veteran who knows the Central Division well and could give the Tigers what Kenny Rogers gave them in the 2005 offseason. Burhle may need convincing to stay in the A.L. and join a bitter division rival, but that’s what money and incentives are for.

Middle reliever: In 2011, the Tigers threw a ton of money at Joaquin Benoit to occupy the eighth inning. The year before, they did the same thing with Jose Valverde, who will be back in 2012 to pitch the ninth. During the playoffs, those two were as good as it gets. The Tigers bullpen is most in need of quality depth to occupy innings six and seven, bridging the gap between Benoit and Valverde. The playoffs demonstrated how important this can be, as both the Rangers and Cardinals used an extensive bullpen help to secure games and late leads. Expect the Tigers to find a few mildly priced free agents to help out here.

Game plan: Sign any two of these free agent relievers, but think mid to lower tier. Don’t expect the Tigers to get involved with any of the big names this time around, ala Heath Bell. Instead, look for them to wisely add some quality and affordable depth.

Catcher: The wear and tear on Alex Avila was crushing in 2011, and if the Tigers want him to live to see age 30, they should find another catcher to help spell him behind the plate. Instead of counting on Victor Martinez for this, the TIgers should scour the free agent market. A few good options exist, such as Ryan Doumit (formally of Pittsburgh) and Kelly Shoppach (formally of Tampa Bay). Gerald Laird is also free agent, but the potential blowback from the fans upon his return would outweigh any benefits he would provide.

Game plan: Sign Ryan Doumit. Doumit is versatile enough to play other positions (outfield and first base) when not in use as a catcher. His bat is good enough to give the lineup some pop in the absence of Avila (Doumit hit .303 in 2011 with eight home runs) and he would be a capable player to plug into the lineup without a strict decline in offense.

One potential big (but unlikely) move that could be made: Sign Jose Reyes, move Jhonny Peralta to third base, eat Inge’s contract, sign a lower tier free agent to play second base. This scenario might seem far fetched, but if Mike Ilitch likes Reyes enough to make him the team’s number one priority, it’s wise to never say never. This is despite Reyes’ high price tag (perhaps 100 million?) and Peralta’s previous aversion to the hot corner. Reyes also isn’t getting any younger at age 30, and he has been injury prone in the past, meaning any long term deal will be extremely risky. Despite that, Reyes’ speed and leadoff ability would make him a natural fit for the Tigers and Comerica Park. Tuesday, Dombrowski indicated he didn’t plan to get involved with anyone like Reyes, but free agency is a high stakes game of poker. Until Reyes signs with someone else, take that with a grain of salt.

With these simple additions, the Tigers should be set up well to contend for a second straight division title and a return trip to the ALCS in 2012.
    Last edited by Timone; 11-05-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    I spent a lot of time writing that up. Would appreciate some feedback, guys.

Blog Entries
    Would appreciate another 20 hours making it make sense. Fuck you zbeau, go hang out with Glan.

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries
    This.

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries
    I DIDN'T REALLY WRITE IT LOL

Swerved!

Blog Entries
    OH MANNNN!! I FEEL LIKE GLAN!!!

<<<<OWNED

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread