+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: official cy young awaiting thread (now featuring MVP TALK)

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy View Post
    all those scoreless innings bautista and granderson threw.
    Scoreless innings has a prize. Its the Cy.
    Players meeting my ASS!

and sometimes the mvp.

He generated ZERO offense.

If they/you/anyone wants to include pitchers, then the criteria should be changed, imo.
    Players meeting my ASS!

the criteria already includes pitchers. pitchers have won in the past.

If they/you/anyone wants to exclude pitchers, then the criteria should be changed, imo

the criteria for most valuable player is the player who is most valuable. says nothing about needing to produce offense.

yeah, Verlander is the most valuable player to his team across the league. There's no doubt, really.

the criteria for most valuable player is the player who is most valuable. says nothing about needing to produce offense.
    You don't even know what you are talking about.
    Players meeting my ASS!

the criteria already includes pitchers. pitchers have won in the past.

If they/you/anyone wants to exclude pitchers, then the criteria should be changed, imo
    Dude, seriously, go read up a lil bit.

I'm not saying pitchers should be excluded, the criteria basically excludes them.

Change the criteria if you want them considered more often.
    Players meeting my ASS!

you're out of your element here, tahoe.

The scribes, LaVelle Neal of the Minneapolis's Star-Tribune and George King of the New York Post, said they could not justify giving the award to a player who participates every fifth day. Also, they argued, pitchers are eligible for the Cy Young Award, which Martinez won unanimously in 1999. That, even though MVP voters were asked to recluse themselves if they felt they could not vote for a pitcher.

The outrage went beyond that felt by Boston's passionate fans. "It really made (writers) all look very dumb," said Buster Olney, who covers the Yankees for the New York Times. "people were operating under different rules. The question of eligibility is a very basic thing. People were determining eligibility for themselves."

The modern MVP Award was established in 1931, when the Baseball Writers Association of America began polling three writers in each city. The modern practice of two writers per city began in 1961. Each voter ranks 10 players from each league, their only guidelines being that all players are eligible and that the MVP is the player that is most valuable to his team.

"It's not the best player," said Gordon Edes, who covers the Red Sox for the Boston Globe. "It is the most valuable player. There is some ambiguity there."
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_67045342/

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
    Dude, seriously, go read up a lil bit.

I'm not saying pitchers should be excluded, the criteria basically excludes them.

Change the criteria if you want them considered more often.
    i dont want them considered more often. i want them considered exactly as often as they are right now, which is whenever they are deserving.

verlander is deserving. this is a no brainer unless he derails himself in his last few starts.

+ Reply to Thread