+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fix our cap....

I still can't understand how they can legally alter the size of existing contracts. Even Gilbert Arenas and Rashard Lewis deserve every penny of the contracts they signed and should be furious if they try to rollback any of their pay.

I'm not sure how exactly they would do it but since the contracts were signed, they had to abide by the CBA. If the contract has clauses that would allow it to be altered by a new CBA, then it would be entirely legal.

In no way would I feel bad for an NBA player having their high dollar contract voided. Gilbert is a perfect example. His whole firearm issue and lack of proper behavior not to mention his piss poor play are an issue. In the private sector, poor behavior and poor job performance are reasons for dismissal, even if you have a contract.

These guys make more in one year than many make in a lifetime not to mention all of the perks and endorsements. Is there contract getting voided any worse than an assembly worker getting laid off?

My understqnding is the teams are still on the hook for the full amount, but with no cap hit. They will negotiate a buyout with some players if that player would sign for a decent deal elsewhere or is in a bad situation.

What if there isn't an amnesty clause?
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

One thing to consider when bashing player salaries is the amount of money that they bring to their team as well as the ones they play. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris View Post
    Still baffles me that he overpaid both of them like that before any other rumors of other potential suitors for them. He basically outbid himself, which goes %100 against the way he built the championship team. He's basically turned into Mark Cuban without having a star to surround (like Dirk).

Anyway, I'm a fan of any deal that sends RIP, CV or BG out for nothing but expiring deals (don't care if they even have two legs). You can include unlimited 2nd round picks too if that helps (or Daye or Bynum if need be).
    Yep on both counts...
    The underlying question is what could that cap have been better used for... we've seen enough financial sacrifices to know that Joe would have been much better off pursuing trades vs signing anyone in a bad year for FAs... however everyone would have bitched about Joe sitting on his hands... IMO it's clear that Joe should have looked to trade his expirings that year instead of settling for signing overpriced scrubs.
    The new hard cap should dramatically increase trade value for the teams that haven't overspent (pennies on the dollar type deals).
    At this stage we may have the least desirable trade assets in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by RegicideGreg View Post
    One thing to consider when bashing player salaries is the amount of money that they bring to their team as well as the ones they play. Just something to think about.
    I don't consider that nor should I. At my job, the money that I have saved easily exceeds my salary by several zeros. Yet in my occupation, the public considers me overpaid and I don't make NBA money.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BEN'S FRO View Post
    My understanding is the teams are still on the hook for the full amount, but with no cap hit. They will negotiate a buyout with some players if that player would sign for a decent deal elsewhere or is in a bad situation.
    This would be true.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lospistones View Post
    I still can't understand how they can legally alter the size of existing contracts. Even Gilbert Arenas and Rashard Lewis deserve every penny of the contracts they signed and should be furious if they try to rollback any of their pay.
    Tell that to the teachers in Wisconsin.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

a contract is only a piece of paper or a worthless agreement between two parties.

Worthless depending on what the courts decide, which is ultimately the case in this or anything

+ Reply to Thread