View Poll Results: Should Joe keep his job?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

2 15.38%
  • Yes, but he should be on a very short leash.

3 23.08%
  • No, it's time to go.

8 61.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumars: Should he stay or go?

Blog Entries

Dumars: Should he stay or go?

Jaime Samuelson attempts to make the case for keeping him.

New at Freep.com Probably in the minority, but I think Joe Dumars deserves a shot to rebuild this #Pistons mess http://tinyurl.com/4t3q899
    What say you?
    Find a new slant.

I love it.

"No one should care about the past, only the future. You can't fire Dumars because of his success in the past."
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    I miss the "I agree with MoTown" option.

I voted no, but he has until the end of the season to change my mind. My issues with his drafting are well documented, I won't bother re-hashing that. The CV and BG signings were overspending where way may not have been competing with anyone, and if we did lose out on either there was a great FA crop the next year.

To change my vote to yes he has to fix a few things:
    1) RIP must be moved for ANY expiring deal(s). I don't care if no assets come back long term.
    2) Tay must be moved for a young long term piece and/or pick along with expiring filler
    3) Coaching mess must be fixed
    4) Stuckey situation must be resolved (moved or kept at decent rate). If kept need to find legit PG.

My theoretical solutions:
    1) RIP/Wilcox to ORL for Jrich
    2) Tay to DAL for Butler/Pick
    3) don't know
    4) Other positions effected by him.

Joe needs to go hard after Kaman and West with Stuckey as bait. Also go after Rubio. If none of these pan out go after Zach/West.

It's possible to make this a playoff team pretty quick. I'm not sure a Stuckey/BG/Zach/Monroe/draft pick core can compete for a title or anything, but at least be a middle of the road playoff team.

If Joe makes no bold moves I just don't see a path to winning unless you hit the lotto big time and don't screw up that pick.
    Last edited by WTFchris; 02-16-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    I think that, based on his performance over the past 5+ years, that he deserves to be fired. Of course, it's hard to tell how much of his lack of creativity/activity was a function of having his hands tied by the ownership situation, but most of his major mistakes can't be attributed to lack of resources.

That said, I can't see him being fired. I think we're about to enter a new era of "throwback" marketing for the franchise. Can anyone really see Gores stepping in and chasing away the icon that Joe's become as his first, signature move? Not exactly a good way to embrace the fanbase.

Along the same vein, I wouldn't be surprised if Fool actually got his wish and Laimbeer gets a look as the coach. It would be purely a marketing move, just like bringing Isiah back into the fold would be.

All bets are off once Gores takes over, he's got to re-energize the fanbase and start building goodwill right off the bat.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-15-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Find a new slant.

so.. when does he take over?

I just haven't seen any progress towards winning another title in 7 years. He has made some good moves (Monroe, JJ) in that time, just not enough to make us contenders. Unless he does some significant moves I don't see a reason to continue with his path.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    To follow up, just so I don't get accused of skirting the poll question, yes, he should be fired. But he won't be, IMO.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glanny Ice View Post
    Along the same vein, I wouldn't be surprised if Fool actually got his wish and Laimbeer gets a look as the coach. It would be purely a marketing move, just like bringing Isiah back into the fold would be.
    I tweeted a link to this thread, and two minutes later, Terry Foster tweets this:

This might be the time to bring in Bill Laimbeer to the Pistons after the season. The team will be young and he has his seasoning.
    Find a new slant.

The Al Sharpton of message boards?
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread