+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Michigan close to banning texting while driving

Michigan close to banning texting while driving

http://detnews.com/article/20100325/POLITICS02/3250476

Michigan Senate OKs ban on texting while driving
    Karen Bouffard / The Detroit News

Lansing -- Michigan is closer to outlawing texting at the wheel with the Senate's passage Thursday of a no-texting law-- but the House and Senate remain divided over how to enforce a ban.

The House passed a ban on texting while driving as a secondary offense, meaning police could only enforce it if drivers are pulled over for something else -- like speeding or an illegal turn.

The Senate amended the House bill to make it a primary offense, meaning police could pull a driver over for texting at the wheel without another offense. It's up to the House to agree to the change, or the two chambers will have to work out a compromise.

Advertisement

"This is the second time we've voted in favor of a texting ban," said Matt Marsden, spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mike Bishop, R-Rochester. "There are some over here (in the Senate) that wanted it primary and some who wanted it secondary. At the end of the day, the primary won out."

AAA Michigan, Allstate and other auto insurers have called for a texting ban. Officials with the Michigan State Police have said they would prefer that texting be a primary offense.

Lawmakers are considering the ban amid growing national concern over texting while driving. The U.S. Department of Transportation has prohibited truck and bus drivers from sending text messages on hand-held devices while operating commercial vehicles.

Twenty states and the District of Columbia prohibit drivers from texting behind the wheel, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. Another nine states ban texting by novice drivers.

Under the Senate bill, a texting violation would be a civil infraction with a $100 fine for the first offense and up to $200 for a subsequent offense, but no points would be placed on the driver's license.

A driver would still be allowed to use a GPS device mounted to the dashboard for getting driving directions, but not a hand-held GPS.

kbouffard@detnews.com (517) 371-3660

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100325/...#ixzz0jF0IBQib

Blog Entries
    As long as this doesn't ban messageboard posting whilst driving, I'm down.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glan View Post
    As long as this doesn't ban messageboard posting whilst driving, I'm down.
    hah, i wonder if the law is written in such a strict way that you could argue that you weren't texting but rather emailing/surfing the web on your phone.

I k ow I shouldn't but I post here while I'm driving. I email while I'm driving and text too.

I really need to stop that.
    Players meeting my ASS!

I think something like that happened in CA. They banned talking on cell phones. Than had to go back and ban texting.
    Players meeting my ASS!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Is there a reason that a new specific law is needed?
    Isn't there a law against, say, reading a book while driving? Wouldn't that be applicable to texting?

Blog Entries
    ^double posted while driving
    Find a new slant.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Good. Every state needs to follow suit.

I don't think a week goes by that I don't almost get into an accident with someone because they're using their phone.

What about map programs? I use google maps on my phone all the time to get places.
    STEW BEEF!

I do slow down a lot when I'm posting/emailing/texting.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread