+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roster / Age breakdown

Roster / Age breakdown

33 looks like a good breaking point for this roster. My thoughts on who we've got.

Guys over 32:
    Todd Bertuzzi - 34
    He's on a 1 year deal, 50/50 that they bring him back next year

Kris Draper - 38
    He's got one year left on his deal and could see him playing a couple more years after that. He'll retire a Red Wing.

Tomas Holmstrom - 37
    I didn't realize he was this old. With the injuries he's been battling over the last few seasons, I don't think he plays past 40. He's on the last year of his deal here, but I'd be surprised if they didn't bring him back.

Kirk Maltby - 37
    On the last year of his contract. He's still a good penalty killer and a solid 4th liner, but there are too many young forwards fighting for a spot and they've proven that they're more than capable of filling his role. He'll definitely be playing somewhere next year, but it's probably not here.

Brad May - 37
    Just brought in as an enforcer. He's gone next year unless they still think they need someone in that role and he's happy with limited playing time.

Nick Lidstrom - 39
    He's on the last year of his contract, but we all know the Red Wings will resign him to a multiyear deal. He'll play into his mid-40s and he'll play well.

Andreas Lilja - 34
    He's on the last year of his deal, as well. He has yet to play a game this season, I believe. He's likely gone since his contract is up. Meech has already taken the role of 7th defenseman.

Brian Rafalski - 36
    He's got 2 more years on his contract after this season. Player development and free agency, as well as how well he ages, will dictate whether he's back for another year or two after that. He'll be the same age that Lidstrom is this season.

Chris Osgood - 37
    He has one year left on his deal and I'd be surprised if he wasn't the backup next season. I'd be equally surprised if he was back the season after that.

Guys under 32:
    Dan Cleary - 31
    3 years left after this season.

Pavel Datsyuk - 31
    4 years left after this season. We all know what we're getting here.

Patrick Eaves - 25
    He's here on a 1 year deal, and I'd like to see them resign him. He'll be a restricted FA this offseason. I think he'll be back next season. He's been solid, he's young, and he's got a lot of potential. His first season in the league, he put up 20 goals in 58 games. His second season (first full season), he had 32 points.

Valtteri Filppula - 25
    He's a potential cornerstone for this team. He has 3 years left on his current deal and he'll be looking at a long-term contract at that point. That depends on him continuing his development, though. He looked ready for a breakout after 2008, but last season wasn't a huge improvement.

Johan Franzen - 30
    He's only played 3 games this season, but if he can get back to the level he was at the last two seasons, it would be HUGE for Detroit. He's signed through 2020, meaning he's a Wing for life.

Darren Helm - 23
    He's only 23 and he's already a fan favorite. He's got ridiculous speed, he's a tenacious forechecker, and he has no problems sacrificing his body to make a play. He'll be a restricted FA after this season and you've got to assume the Wings are going to lock him up for 4-5 more years. He's got a two-way contract but there's no way they're sending him to the minors.

Ville Leino - 26
    He's got one year left on his contract after this season, and his future here hinges on his development. He's been a healthy scratch recently and it's been a very disappointing season for him.

Drew Miller - 25
    Ex-Spartan who was claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay earlier this season. He's on the last year of his deal and he'll be a restricted FA. If he continues playing at his current level, he'll be brought back.

Jason Williams - 29
    He's here on a one year deal and hasn't gotten much play due to a broken fibula. He could be back on the 3rd line and manning the point during the power play next season, depending on how he plays now that he's back from injury.

Henrik Zetterberg - 29
    Locked up through 2021. He's the future captain when Lidstrom retires and arguably one of the best players in the league. His numbers don't do him justice because of how hard he plays on defense. He's often paired against the best player on the opposing team and given the responsibility of shutting him down while still producing on offense.

Jonathan Ericssonn - 25
    He showed flashes of his potential in the playoffs last season but he's had his struggles in his first full year in the majors. He's got one more year before he's a free agent and should blossom into a cornerstone of the defense for years to come.

Niklas Kronwall - 29
    He just can't stay healthy, partly due to freak accidents like his skate catching a rut during warmups, partly because he plays twice as big as he is. Two years ago, he looked like he was developing into a star. Last year he was solid but not spectacular. He had a slow start this season but he's still been solid. At this point, I'd say there's not a whole lot more growth coming. He's inked for two more seasons after this and will likely be around after that.

Brett Lebda - 28
    Lebda will be a FA after this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he took a look at other offers. He's going to have a hard time breaking into the top two pairings with the Wings. He's already behind Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and Stuart, and he'd have to beat out Ericssonn to move up. He does a solid job of stepping up into the offensive play, but sometimes he jumps up when he shouldn't and gives up a bad odd-man rush The Red Wings will want to keep him, but they may not be able to.

Derek Meech - 25
    With the injuries this season, Meech is getting a significant increase in playing time. He'll be a restricted FA after this season, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't brought back as the 7th defenseman. He's got potential, but he might be the rare instance of Holland not giving a player enough seasoning in the minors.

Brad Stuart - 30
    Stuart has been a solid pickup for the Wings, although I didn't realize we traded and 2nd and 4th round pick for him. He can lay a hit and out-muscle his man, which is a change of pace from the finesse style of Rafalski and Lidstrom. He's signed for two more seasons.

Jimmy Howard - 25
    Howard finally gets his shot, takes the opportunity and runs with it. He was supposed to be Osgood's backup this season, but he's got a strangle-hold on the starting job. He's 3rd in save percentage and 7th in goals against average. His record would be much more impressive if the team wasn't playing so poorly in front of him, which just makes his GAA that much more impressive. He's carried the team on several occasions, often dragging them into overtime and shootout losses. He's got one more season before the Red Wings have to lock him up long-term. He's looking like a potential franchise goaltender for years to come.
    _

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    What's up with Abdelkader?

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny
    What's up with Abdelkader?
    That was the first name that came to my mind too! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    33 looks like a good breaking point for this roster. My thoughts on who we've got.

Guys over 32:
    Todd Bertuzzi - 34
    He's on a 1 year deal, 50/50 that they bring him back next year

Kris Draper - 38
    He's got one year left on his deal and could see him playing a couple more years after that. He'll retire a Red Wing.

Tomas Holmstrom - 37
    I didn't realize he was this old. With the injuries he's been battling over the last few seasons, I don't think he plays past 40. He's on the last year of his deal here, but I'd be surprised if they didn't bring him back.

Kirk Maltby - 37
    On the last year of his contract. He's still a good penalty killer and a solid 4th liner, but there are too many young forwards fighting for a spot and they've proven that they're more than capable of filling his role. He'll definitely be playing somewhere next year, but it's probably not here.

Brad May - 37
    Just brought in as an enforcer. He's gone next year unless they still think they need someone in that role and he's happy with limited playing time.

Nick Lidstrom - 39
    He's on the last year of his contract, but we all know the Red Wings will resign him to a multiyear deal. He'll play into his mid-40s and he'll play well.

Andreas Lilja - 34
    He's on the last year of his deal, as well. He has yet to play a game this season, I believe. He's likely gone since his contract is up. Meech has already taken the role of 7th defenseman.

Brian Rafalski - 36
    He's got 2 more years on his contract after this season. Player development and free agency, as well as how well he ages, will dictate whether he's back for another year or two after that. He'll be the same age that Lidstrom is this season.

Chris Osgood - 37
    He has one year left on his deal and I'd be surprised if he wasn't the backup next season. I'd be equally surprised if he was back the season after that.

Guys under 32:
    Justin Abdelkader - 22
    He's stuck as the go-between for the AHL and NHL right now because of his contract. The extra seasoning won't hurt him though. On any other team he'd be playing in the NHL on a nightly basis. He'll be a RFA after this season and will likely be signed to a one-way contract, meaning he's taking someone's spot on the everyday roster. He could be the one pushing Maltby out the door.

Dan Cleary - 31
    3 years left after this season.

Pavel Datsyuk - 31
    4 years left after this season. We all know what we're getting here.

Patrick Eaves - 25
    He's here on a 1 year deal, and I'd like to see them resign him. He'll be a restricted FA this offseason. I think he'll be back next season. He's been solid, he's young, and he's got a lot of potential. His first season in the league, he put up 20 goals in 58 games. His second season (first full season), he had 32 points.

Valtteri Filppula - 25
    He's a potential cornerstone for this team. He has 3 years left on his current deal and he'll be looking at a long-term contract at that point. That depends on him continuing his development, though. He looked ready for a breakout after 2008, but last season wasn't a huge improvement.

Johan Franzen - 30
    He's only played 3 games this season, but if he can get back to the level he was at the last two seasons, it would be HUGE for Detroit. He's signed through 2020, meaning he's a Wing for life.

Darren Helm - 23
    He's only 23 and he's already a fan favorite. He's got ridiculous speed, he's a tenacious forechecker, and he has no problems sacrificing his body to make a play. He'll be a restricted FA after this season and you've got to assume the Wings are going to lock him up for 4-5 more years. He's got a two-way contract but there's no way they're sending him to the minors.

Ville Leino - 26
    He's got one year left on his contract after this season, and his future here hinges on his development. He's been a healthy scratch recently and it's been a very disappointing season for him.

Drew Miller - 25
    Ex-Spartan who was claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay earlier this season. He's on the last year of his deal and he'll be a restricted FA. If he continues playing at his current level, he'll be brought back.

Jason Williams - 29
    He's here on a one year deal and hasn't gotten much play due to a broken fibula. He could be back on the 3rd line and manning the point during the power play next season, depending on how he plays now that he's back from injury.

Henrik Zetterberg - 29
    Locked up through 2021. He's the future captain when Lidstrom retires and arguably one of the best players in the league. His numbers don't do him justice because of how hard he plays on defense. He's often paired against the best player on the opposing team and given the responsibility of shutting him down while still producing on offense.

Jonathan Ericssonn - 25
    He showed flashes of his potential in the playoffs last season but he's had his struggles in his first full year in the majors. He's got one more year before he's a free agent and should blossom into a cornerstone of the defense for years to come.

Niklas Kronwall - 29
    He just can't stay healthy, partly due to freak accidents like his skate catching a rut during warmups, partly because he plays twice as big as he is. Two years ago, he looked like he was developing into a star. Last year he was solid but not spectacular. He had a slow start this season but he's still been solid. At this point, I'd say there's not a whole lot more growth coming. He's inked for two more seasons after this and will likely be around after that.

Brett Lebda - 28
    Lebda will be a FA after this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he took a look at other offers. He's going to have a hard time breaking into the top two pairings with the Wings. He's already behind Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and Stuart, and he'd have to beat out Ericssonn to move up. He does a solid job of stepping up into the offensive play, but sometimes he jumps up when he shouldn't and gives up a bad odd-man rush The Red Wings will want to keep him, but they may not be able to.

Derek Meech - 25
    With the injuries this season, Meech is getting a significant increase in playing time. He'll be a restricted FA after this season, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't brought back as the 7th defenseman. He's got potential, but he might be the rare instance of Holland not giving a player enough seasoning in the minors.

Brad Stuart - 30
    Stuart has been a solid pickup for the Wings, although I didn't realize we traded and 2nd and 4th round pick for him. He can lay a hit and out-muscle his man, which is a change of pace from the finesse style of Rafalski and Lidstrom. He's signed for two more seasons.

Jimmy Howard - 25
    Howard finally gets his shot, takes the opportunity and runs with it. He was supposed to be Osgood's backup this season, but he's got a strangle-hold on the starting job. He's 3rd in save percentage and 7th in goals against average. His record would be much more impressive if the team wasn't playing so poorly in front of him, which just makes his GAA that much more impressive. He's carried the team on several occasions, often dragging them into overtime and shootout losses. He's got one more season before the Red Wings have to lock him up long-term. He's looking like a potential franchise goaltender for years to come.
    Added him in. They don't have him listed on the Red Wings website. I was using it to grab ages.
    _

+ Reply to Thread