+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DLP v LCD v LED

I don't like the way Plasmas reflect light behind me.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by DrRay11
    LED = best, but by far most expensive... If you want great value, LCD or Plasma...
    I haven't read where they are actually a better picture than plasma...

10 things to know about LED TVs

Here are the 10 things they talk about:

1. An LED TV is not a new kind of TV.
    2.There are two types of LED backlighting.
    3. Of the two, local dimming can produce deeper black levels, but also creates "blooming."
    4. Edge-lit TVs are really thin, but uniformity suffers.
    5. LED backlighting of either variety doesn't improve LCD's poor off-angle viewing.
    6. LED backlighting is even more efficient than standard fluorescent backlighting.
    7. LED backlighting will get better--but how much better is debatable.
    8. LED=higher price tag.
    9. Top-of-the-line LED TVs deliver as good a picture as plasma TVs--with one caveat.
    10. If you don't have your picture settings correct, LED or non-LED won't make a difference.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Well, my old man got a 55 inch Samsung LED... best picture I've seen on a TV... That's just from personal experience, I don't really have the tech knowledge to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    I don't like the way Plasmas reflect light behind me.
    Depends on the model. Samsung Plasmas are horrible at that. Very glossy pictures on those. My best advice is to go to best buy because they have those gymnasium type lights. Move around and compare the glare. I get very little glare on mine. Far less than I got on my tube TV, that is for sure. I would not buy one without that filter on it.

You can also test viewing angle there. I can see my plasma basically from any angle. unlike a PC monitor or LCD which looks horrible if you sit to the side or stand near it. That's a big downer for me. I want everyone in the room to enjoy their viewing, not just the 3 or 4 people that are looking close to straight on.

I think mine is the TH-42PZ77U if I remember correctly. I would look at other Panasonic's with that same filter (at the store) next to ones without it. You'll see the difference.
    Last edited by WTFchris; 02-01-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRay11
    Well, my old man got a 55 inch Samsung LED... best picture I've seen on a TV... That's just from personal experience, I don't really have the tech knowledge to back it up.
    Again, probably depends entirely on the model. My in-laws have a 47 inch LCD and the picture is horrible compared to my plasma. But I've seen plenty of LCD's with excellent pictures. You can't go by one model. I'm sure there are equally good pictures on that LED and my plasma. But your dad probably paid far more for his. And he'll also get motion blur or made up frames (unavoidable on LCDs).

When I had my TV installed they set it up with a coax cable. 3 weeks ago I went digital, it's freaking stupid how much better it is. Looks like the showroom. Little shit like that makes such a huge difference.

Yeah, the feed makes a huge difference. I've had to watch some shows on standard def (because a game wasn't shot in HD) and boy does that look terrible, even on a really nice TV.

Thanks for all the replies. I know they weren't all for me, but thanks anyway. Theres megashit to learn if you step out of the technoshit for a lil bit.

I have 2 52" Tosh DLP and I've been really happy with them. The lamp just went out yesterday morning which is why I bought a new TV yesterday afternoon.

I really like the new LCD in the room with a bunch of windows. ZERO glare. The plasmas did have glare at BB yesterday.

The other thing is I want a big TV for the BIG room. That pushes me towards DLP afaict. I dont' think LCD goes big.

So anyway, I just saw an add this morning form yesterdays Bee with Mits 60" DLP for 999.00. 65" for 1299.00. I don't think thats bad pricing if one can live with replacing the lamps every 4 years or so, correct?
    Players meeting my ASS!

I read somewhere that LCD manufacturing costs are closely tied to the size where plasma are not. They are probably pretty close to equal now on 40 inch, but as you get bigger the LCD costs a lot more to make. On the other hand the cost of making a plasma doesn't vary as much by size, which is probably why you don't see smaller ones (it would still cost almost as much to make as a 40 inch model and thus nobody would buy it).

Like I said, I know nothing about DLPs.

I bet you could get a top of the line projector for about 1000 bucks too. You said big room, but not whether this was a basement (otherwise a projector is probably out).

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    The bulbs kill you on a projector if you use them alot, they're like 300, once-twice a year.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread