View Poll Results: 10 years of drafting, what grade do you give him?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 5.88%
  • B

1 5.88%
  • C

5 29.41%
  • D

8 47.06%
  • E

2 11.76%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's drafting history grade poll

Blog Entries
    But they've made mistakes just like everyone else. It's just (personally) annoying that they have this "perfect" reputation.
    Find a new slant.

of course they've made mistakes. I still haven't seen anyone that has made more mistakes than us in the draft. There may very well be one, I haven't looked at every team though.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The Knicks suddenly popped in my mind. First rounders:

Hill (too soon to tell), Gallinari (too soon to tell), Chandler, Balkman & Collins, Frye & Lee, Ariza, Sweetney, Nene, Weis.

There are a few good players in there for sure. They've had 3 lotto picks also (not counting Hill and Gallinari), so it's a good comparison. I'd take their drafting over ours.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Once again people (Glenn) are caught up on the fact that other teams missed on players too.

Yes, yes, yes - every team misses on quality talent. It happens every Draft blah, blah, blah

Get the fuck over it and learn to read.

The problem isn't that Joe missed. Cause again - everyone misses.

The problem is that Joe misses a fucking lot. A LOT.

We're talking Tayshaun (maybe Stuckey, maybe Daye) as the only real stud in 10 years of first round picks.

FUCK THAT!

And who gives a fuck what other teams do? If other GM's are signing bums to big ass contracts (New York - Zeke) that doesn't mean Joe should too.

If other GM's are firing coaches almost every off-season that doesn't mean Joe should too.

I don't give a flying fuck how New Jersey run their franchise. Fuck them.

I do however care how Joe runs the Pistons.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Memo is as much a stud as Tay.

And if everyone is signing stiff bigmen for MLE, you pay stiff bigmen a big chunk of the MLE (olden, Davis, Kwame)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Memo is as much a stud as Tay.

And if everyone is signing stiff bigmen for MLE, you pay stiff bigmen a big chunk of the MLE (olden, Davis, Kwame)
    Memo only counts if we're gonna go through every single team's second round and find out what stars they drafted there too.

Face it - Joe got Tay in the first round (1 stud), Memo in the 2nd (1 stud)

Let's say he used 20 picks in the last 10 years (I know at least 10 were first rounders).

He's picking a better than average guy 1 out of 10 picks! That's 1 every 5 years.

And we're rebuilding!

We are fucked!

And WTF does Olden, Davis and Kwame have to do with this? Are you defending Joe for signing them? I never mentioned them. I mentioned New York having a bunch of dudes on big ass contracts and thought everyone would remember how great that worked for them...

But IIRC I have never taken Joe to task for the signing of bigs except Wilcox. And the Wilcox move is so fucking moronic I'm entitled
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Yeah, you can applaud him for finding Memo, but how many other 2nd rounders are there that have contributed as part of a rotation:

Manu, Ellis, Redd, Boozer, Arenas, Mo Williams, Kapono, Korver, Varajao, Ariza, Duhon, Bass, Turiaf, Wafer, Gortat, Millsaip, Landry, Glen Davis, Gasol, Sessions, Barnes, Scola, Watson, Simmons, Jaric, House, Hart, Giricek

I expect every GM to find a player in the 2nd round in 10 years. Everyone wants to give him credit for finding Memo, but he deserves blame for picking Sheed over him. He decided to go for upside with Darko (over Melo or Bosh), but not with Memo. I think we were all fine with keeping Sheed for the most part (kstat was the only one saying Memo was a 20-10 type player), but you can't give him credit for guys that pan out somewhere else when there were ways to keep that player if he got creative.

Might as well give the Lions credit for drafting Jeff Hartings too (pro bowler after leaving).

lol this team doesn't make it back to the finals in 05 w/o Sheed.

But Dumars should be blamed for the choice.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    lol this team doesn't make it back to the finals in 05 w/o Sheed.

But Dumars should be blamed for the choice.
    I said everyone but kstat basically was good with keeping Sheed (including myself). I wasn't arguing that he made the wrong choice then. I'm just saying why are we giving him all this credit for finding Memo when clearly he didn't think he'd end up this good back in 2004? If he really felt that high on Memo he could have moved other contracts in order to keep him. He didn't because he also thought Darko would pan out up front, and he also thought they wouldn't choke the next few years in their finals quests.

Even now you still keep Sheed.

No question about it.

I'm going to stop reading P + Chris jizzum fests.

So terrible.
    Last edited by Fool; 02-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread