+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Curry

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Why do I have to be "idealistic" to soothe your own interpretation of what's exciting. I feel it's selfish to your hate for lebron, rather than you giving a shit about the Pistons in that scenario(they'd probably gain more as a team getting the best they can out of those playoff games rather than rolling lottery dice, but you wouldn't be as excited apparently). To each his own, but that line of thinking is just counterproductive imo. I'll move though because i'm speaking against a populasr stance in here.
    I'm with you. I get more entertainment value out of a playoff series than a longshot lottery ticket. There's something to be said too for getting the youngsters a little playoff experience even if it's a kick in the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    Counterproductive?

Counterproductive is wanting the team to be a sacrificial lamb for the #1 seed instead of getting better players.
    But it's not necessarily the case that you get better players. WTFChris posted an article (I think it what Chris) that should have put an end to that nonesense. Lottery teams stay in the lottery for long periods.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Teams that are mismanaged stay in the lottery. Is that us?
    Find a new slant.

It's not even "a better player" you're getting. It's a slightly higher possibility of getting a better player.

You are getting like 2% points of potential.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Did we have more than a 2% chance of beating Cleveland?
    Find a new slant.

Winning isn't the only thing you get out of playing.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    It's not even "a better player" you're getting. It's a slightly higher possibility of getting a better player.

You are getting like 2% points of potential.
    2% points of potential isn't all you get out of the higher pick.

The higher the pick the more valuable it is in a trade, too.

So we don't absolutely have to rely on Joe's ability to draft studs.

We can rely on the fact many other teams are rebuilding and would love to get their hands on a Top 5 pick.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    Counterproductive?

Counterproductive is wanting the team to be a sacrificial lamb for the #1 seed instead of getting better players.
    If that's what was happening. It's not though. How you see it like that is beyond me.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    I'm with you. I get more entertainment value out of a playoff series than a longshot lottery ticket. There's something to be said too for getting the youngsters a little playoff experience even if it's a kick in the teeth.
    I hated every one of those first round exits the grant hill era suffered, but i wouldn't trade any of them for more lottery tries.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I understand the idea behind trying to win every single game you can as it breeds good habits among the young players but...

We have precious few young players on this squad that are gonna learn anything from making the playoffs.

Stuckey and Jerebko are the only young dudes that play significant minutes and while them making the 'offs would be a "reward" for hard work it's not like the "rest" (lol - Daye and Summers are the only other youth unless you wanna stretch it to include Bynum) are gonna learn much.

So people need to quit acting like we're the Memphis Grizzlies thinking our assortment of young guys is gonna get "valuable" experience that will hold them in "good stead (as opposed to bad stead?)" next season.

The "playoff experience" for our youth would be minimal because:

1) we don't have a lot of youth on this squad to start with

2) Only Stuckey and Jerebko play significant minutes of the few young guys we do have (include Bynum if you consider him "youth")

3) Big Ben, Nova, Maxiell, Prince, Rip, BG, Atkins, Wilcox and Kwame will not benefit from the playoff experience at all. That's the majority of our roster and our rotation.

Forget this season. Act like it's a bad dream.

Take your chances with a Top 5 Lotto pick. That one pick will do more good for the organisation than a first round series lose will do for the players.

P.S - not gonna get into the economical benefits of a playoff series vs a Lotto pick.

Obviously more home games = more money for the organisation.

But one could also argue that a great pick (or blockbuster trade) would be good for the organisation because it could spark an upswing in season ticket sales.

So forget the economical shit.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

+ Reply to Thread