+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Mock Draft v1: There is a god and its name is Mayhew

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ogers_rep.html

its from feb, but i've read more recent stuff discussing him leaving cleveland. but it may have been cleared up, the last i heard i think it was the preseason still.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRay11
    How does Shaun Rogers magically become a free agent, b?

And Wil, if you think we're going to have any pull with FA's to fill spots like MLB or CB, get real. We will be lucky to get any top names on the market.

We will have to overpay, obviously. But we're kidding ourselves if we think we can only build our team via the draft.

You have to strike gold on some FA signings to be competitive and looking back, we may have done worse on FA's than drafting, even in the Millen era.

Blog Entries
    Just off the top of my head, some bust Millen/Mayhew FA' signings...

Bill Schroeder
    Az-Zahir Hakim
    Corey Harris
    Todd Lyght
    Tai Streets
    Jeff Garcia
    Josh McCown
    Brock Marion
    Edwin Mulitalo
    Ross Verba
    Rex Tucker
    Rick DeMulling
    T.J. Duckett
    Jamar Fletcher
    R.W. McQuarters
    Shawn Bryson
    Olandis Gary
    Michael Gaines
    Fernando Bryant
    Idrees Bashir
    Wali Rainer
    Earl Holmes
    Bryant Johnson
    Larry Foote
    Corey Bradford
    Grady Jackson
    Phillip Buchanon
    Kalvin Pearson
    Eric King
    Daniel Loper
    Jon Jansen
    Dan Wilkinson
    Marcus Pollard
    Tatum Bell (acq. via trade)
    George Foster (acq. via trade)
    Leigh Bodden (acq. via trade)
    Dwight Smith

and only a few Decent FA signings by Mayhew/Millen...

Dre' Bly
    Stephen Peterman
    Dewayne White
    Moran Norris (albeit he was only here for like 8 weeks)
    Jon Kitna (best QB of the Millen era)
    Mo Morris
    Mike Furrey (one yr wonder)
    Shaun McDonald (one yr wonder)
    Mikhael Ricks
    Jason Hunter (i like him)
    Last edited by Wilfredo Ledezma; 01-05-2010 at 11:19 AM.

I'm not sure I agree with all of those. Earl Holmes was a good signing (but he never should have been counted on as much as he was). Duckett was a fine signing (was a 3rd RB for cheap). I haven't seen any Lions games this year besides Turkey Day, has Foote been bad? McCown was a 3rd string QB, what do you expect there?

The biggest problem is guys that were signed for depth had to be counted on because so many draft picks were busts.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Yeah, and Bodden was a bust because he was used wrong.
    Destiny

Jon Jansen was just a vet backup for a season, that's not bad.
    Fernando Bryant was injury-plagued but I suppose that still qualifies as a bust. He wasn't terrible when he actually was on the field.
    Wasn't Az Hakim supposed to be a #3 receiver and got forced into the #1-#2 role, or did Millen actually think he could be a top receiver?
    I thought Dan Wilkinson was a great pairing with Rogers in the middle of the d-line. I wouldn't call him a bust.
    I'd put Northcut on that list. Guy's a quality #4 receiver but he shouldn't be the #3. If we got a quality #2 and bumped Johnson and Northcut down a spot in the depth chart, we'd be much better off.

I'd have to agree with WTFchris on the issue of depth guys, though. Quite a few of those players were brought in for depth then were pushed to the starting role. That doesn't quite qualify them as a bust. That would be like calling Vick a bust in Philly if McNabb went down. They didn't sign him to be the starter, so it shouldn't be the full criteria.
    _

Also, why don't you think Buchanon will be back, Wil? I don't think he's a stud CB by any means but he's probably better than anything else we'd get. I say hold onto him for another year.

I don't think moving Peterson to DE would be a great move. Having him play some DE would be fine, but making him the starting DE is a bit of a stretch. He had 4.5 sacks but they weren't all from that position. Most were from LB where he wasn't fighting through OTs to get to the QB.

How would Sammie Hill fit as a 3-4 DT or DE? I haven't really thought about it much, but I was pretty intrigued by the idea of a 3-4 last offseason and Peterson would be solid as an OLB in a 3-4.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    Wasn't Az Hakim supposed to be a #3 receiver and got forced into the #1-#2 role, or did Millen actually think he could be a top receiver?
    Az and Bill were signed to be the top 2 guys here. Something they never were until Millen thought they were. We had Germaine Crowell but he had two injury plagued seasons before that. No way we counted on him as a top 2 WR. We drafted Scotty Anderson as a depth guy. Otherwise Millen was counting on breakout years from Az and Bill and got less than 600 yards a piece. I also remember a huge amount of drops.

Aside from CJ, he was truly terrible at finding WRs, despite a lot of resources spent there.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Az and Bill were signed to be the top 2 guys here. Something they never were until Millen thought they were. We had Germaine Crowell but he had two injury plagued seasons before that. No way we counted on him as a top 2 WR. We drafted Scotty Anderson as a depth guy. Otherwise Millen was counting on breakout years from Az and Bill and got less than 600 yards a piece. I also remember a huge amount of drops.

Aside from CJ, he was truly terrible at finding WRs, despite a lot of resources spent there.
    Oh god, Scotty Anderson. I guess I was just HOPING that we hadn't counted on either of those guys to be a #1 receiver. That's just terrible.

Wait, you mean to tell me that Mike Williams didn't work out?

I'm one of the few that don't hold the Charles Rogers thing entirely against Millen. He was looking like a stud before he broke his collarbone twice and apparently lost all motivation to have an NFL career...
    _

I agree, but did Charles Rogers show any warning signs before? Any red flags like drinking problems, possible suspensions, failed drug tests? This stuff should have came out in his interview.
    Destiny

+ Reply to Thread