+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Big Ten going to 12 teams? (Looks like it's Pitt)

Can we get some odds on these choices..............

1. Notre Dame
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. Missouri
    4. Syracuse
    5. Rutgers
    6. West Virginia
    7. Cincinnati
    8. Texas
    9. Iowa State
    10. Kentucky
    11. Vanderbilt
    12. Virginia
    13. Central Michigan
    14. The entire country of Canada forming one super college

P.S. If we do go to 12 teams my vote is for Missouri

Blog Entries
    How about adding 5 teams and creating a 16 team superconfernce with two 8 team divisions?

Just kidding.
    Find a new slant.

Texas is a %0 chance.

Let's take a look at current east/west division possibilities:

East
    UM
    MSU
    OSU
    Purdue
    Indiana
    Penn State

West
    Iowa
    Minny
    Illinois
    NWU
    Wisconsin

I think a western team makes the most sense (like Iowa State or Missouri). If you get an eastern team like Pitt you have to send Purdue or Indi West and lose that regional rivalry (plus make the east even harder). Adding a west team divides the conference at Lake Michigan, which is a much easier and cleaner division.

This would be like the Big 12 is (one division much better). It wouldn't matter that much since you'd play all but 2 teams anyway.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

My preference:

1 - Iowa State (natural rivalry with Iowa)
    2 - Missouri (good programs in both sports, no in state rivalry to tie it to Big 12)
    3 - Memphis?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Hawaii. The travel wouldn't matter since it's only one game per week.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    Hawaii. The travel wouldn't matter since it's only one game per week.

This is why Motown is considered the single greatest influence in David Hasselhoff's life.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Quote Originally Posted by bukdow
    I believe it will be Pitt. Pitt is the best fit. Its academics are strong and it has decent football and basketball programs. Also, it would fit nicely into an east/west geographical split.

You're a fucking idiot.

Yay Pitt! Woohooooooooo

That would do WONDERS for the Big Ten on a national scale.

bukdow: Taking the Big Ten towards the MAC one post at a time.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

I have no fucking idea if that is correct or not (looks correct to me), but that is great fucking post.
    Players meeting my ASS!

The big things to consider:
    1. They have to fit the academic criteria
    2. They have to bring in enough revenue to offset their share.
    2a. They should expand the reach of the Big 10 Network.
    2b. The area should be a large media market

Quote Originally Posted by FillyCheezeSteak

1. Notre Dame - I think there may still be too much bad blood, plus ND loves its Independent status.

2. Pittsburgh - Seems like a great fit but it doesn't really expand anything.

3. Missouri - Also seems like a great fit. How big of a market does Mizzou bring to the table?

4. Syracuse - They're a basketball school. They're probably not leaving to go to a football conference.

5. Rutgers - They somewhat have the New York market, but how much are they really followed? They're New Jersey, not NYC, and don't have as much of a pull there as people think. They've had a few good years in football but they weren't the greatest before that. Is that going to continue?

6. West Virginia - Academics. Not happening.

7. Cincinnati - See WVU. Plus, they don't bring in a new market in any way. The B10 has OSU, and most Cinci fans are hardcore OSU fans as well.

8. Texas - If it weren't for the geography, I think this one would be guaranteed. It's a perfect match. Texas has an elite football program, an elite basketball program, and even brings their ridiculous baseball program to the table. Plus, they're fantastic academically. Texas would have a huge monetary incentive and academic incentive to join the B10, as well. They actively petitioned to join the B10 in '93ish but the B10 was on a self-imposed ban from expanding, IIRC. Now's the time to make it happen.

9. Iowa State - We already have Iowa covering that market. Iowa State isn't really all that great athletically. They aren't going to bring in enough additional revenue for the B10 to seriously consider them.

10. Kentucky - I don't see why this wouldn't work from the B10's perspective. I think it's a good school academically. They have solid athletic programs. The geography works. I'm not sure how much they'd bring in B10Network expansion with OSU being fairly close, but I think it would be enough. The big question is, why would Kentucky jump to the B10?

11. Vanderbilt - I really hadn't even thought of this possibility, but it's intriguing. It expands the B10 Network into Tennessee. They have the academics. I don't see them jumping to the B10, though. Like Syracuse, they're more of a basketball school and they're in one of the top basketball conferences.

12. Virginia - Great for expansion, great for athletics, do they qualify academically? Why do they make the jump?

13. Central Michigan - B10 already has the state of Michigan locked up with MSU and UM. Central is good but not great athletically. They wouldn't bring in anywhere close to enough revenue to make them a serious candidate.

14. The entire country of Canada forming one super college - Count it!
    What about Nebraska? They're a football school and they have the academics. They aren't much of a media market, though.

I think the absolute best fit for the Big 10 and the potential school would be Texas. It's just a matter of whether they're willing to deal with the travel involved. Otherwise, perfect.
    _

App State

+ Reply to Thread