+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: How much better is Prince?

Quote Originally Posted by yargs
    4. Regular season games are semi-meaningless in terms of wins or losses for non-championship-level teams, especially games early in the season and in a conference where a losing record still gets you in the playoffs. The spurs tank the regular season every year knowing it's best to peak in the second half and during the playoffs.
    Point taken about how the spurs like to pace themselves and peak for the playoffs--but they still bang out wins in the process. Tanking is a little strong of a term for a team that won between 54 and 63 regular season games every season like clockwork for the last eight seasons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    A 3-game sample size for a guy who has 500+ games played doesn't even rate "fun to look at."
    Quote Originally Posted by Those 3 games
    12.3 pts
    5.0 rebs
    Quote Originally Posted by His career
    12.7 pts
    4.7 rebs
    I apologize.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    Point taken about how the spurs like to pace themselves and peak for the playoffs--but they still bang out wins in the process. Tanking is a little strong of a term for a team that won between 54 and 63 regular season games every season like clockwork for the last eight seasons.
    I tend to hyperbolize at times, tanking is strong word, but you can't argue that they don't give 2 shits about the #1 seed, home court advantage, etc. therefore they don't feel the need to bring it every day during the regular season especially against crappy team. They just don't. Tim Duncan doesn't bring it every night because he doesn't have to nor should he, they are usually talented enough to win most games anyway and are going to make the playoffs, it's best to keep TD in one piece.

Watch how tim duncan usually has his best regular season games against the good teams or against division foes/message games. He's the man.

They usually do bring it every night, actually. That was the difference between them and us, especially after 2005. That's part of why Pop is a great coach. He was able to shit who was the focus in different games to give guys a rest even in games they were playing in.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    I apologize, should i just call you crazy for seeing merit in a comparison and leave you to bask in that? Be sarcastic if you will, but comparing Jonas to Tay is an insult to Tay and unfair to Jonas. Jonas does well for who he is, but he's not even close to Tay at this moment. If you saw something in the games you watched to bring more merit to this, then by all means explain.
    You have an inflated sense of what Tayshaun brings to the table. His defense has diminished, his jumper is inconsistent (to say the least) and he doesn't run as well as he used to. He still has a post up game (when he's motivated enough to use it) and he has a high IQ and a lot of experience which allows him to still produce decent numbers...but at this point in his career, he's a 13 point and 6 rebound type player MAX. That's not exactly anything to genuflect over.
    Last edited by JackTalkThai; 12-11-2009 at 01:47 PM.

To add no real original thought here: I'm in the Matt, Yargs, Dynamite camp. I think there's no doubt Prince is better. The idea of just trading him for a center that could work seems too much to me. I do think it would have to be a center with equal talent value, but centers are worth much more than small forwards when talent in the position is equal.

Blog Entries
    Honest question, hopefully it can be discussed without people getting defensive...

How many players can you think of with worse than or comparable career averages to Tay's that have gotten multiyear $10m+ contracts?
    Find a new slant.

You can't ask it like that. Contracts scaled up every year before the recession.
    STEW BEEF!

Just got off thinking on a tangent ... we all know one of the reasons the 2010 free agency class will be the best, was because Bron and Wade signed 4 year extensions (so they can opt out in '10) back then instead of 5. It's been talked about before, (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ebron?time=yes) for example. It quotes Detroit News so chances are it's been talked about here too. So what are the odds that James, Wade and Bosh never make it to the market?

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    It's very difficult in today's NBA to pay a player what they're worth when they're worth it. Tayshaun's contract was comparable to Mike Dunleavy Jr.'s, IIRC.

+ Reply to Thread