+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2009 + 2016 College Football coaching carousel: Leach/Weis/Bowden/Kelly/Mangino,et al

Blog Entries
    @CoachBrianKelly: Just informed our team that Notre Dame has contacted me and I will listen to what they have to say.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Forde
    NYT has reported that ND has spoken with Harbaugh
    Find a new slant.

My sources say Izzo to ND.
    Players meeting my ASS!

^in the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Anyone curious about how you hire a coach?

Let's look at Nebraska:

A few years ago, they fired Frank Solich, who had gone 7-7, then canned half his staff, brought in a guy named Bo Pellini to coach the defense--and BOOM they go 10-3 with a bowl win.

This Solich guy had a record of something like 58-19 and finished in the Top Ten three of his six years. He did it with "Hizz Guyzz"--he was the top recruiter under Osborne, and Osborne's 1997 national championship team was chock full o' seniors.

So they fire his arse and at the 11th hour get Bill Callihan, who promptly shits all over Nebraska tradition and goes 5-7 his first year--but actually trashed about three other winnable games for HIS West Coast offense (sound familiar?).

Well, we all know how that ended, but a funny thing about Callihan: He got them to bowl games in Years 2 and 3--and even played Oklahoma for the big 12 champeenship in Year 3, doing pretty well as Nebraska lost 21-7.

Of course it fell apart in Year 4. The AD was shitcanned, Dr Tom resurrected from the purgatory of politics, and Nebraska hired Bo Pellini.

So, Pellini comes in and has NOTHING to work with. The quarterback he inherited was an off-the-scrapheap last second recruit who got an offer from Callihan because they went to the same high school or some shit.

And the defense? Uh, Pellini inherited a defense that gave up 65 points in the last game under Callihan--and that was the second most points they gave up in a game that season.

Well, yeah, Callihan left Pellini sme guy named Ndamukong Suh--but did not Rodriguez inherit Brandon Graham? But I digress.

So allz Pellini can do is get Nebraska to 9-4 with a Gator Bowl win in his first year.

So then all Pellini can do for an encore is get them to 9-4 in year two with a--gasp! quarterback who had NEVER taken a snap in college before. And they are within a controversial, did-you-not-think-they-would-find-it last second call of beating Texas and going to the BCS Bowls as the Big 12 champ.

Pellini is--are you sitting down? Winning with someone else's guyzz!!! And, oh yeah--he brought back several of the guys on Solich's staff (a couple who coached under Osborne) and the offensive coordinator under Callihan. You know, a bit of continuity there.

OUR Man DickRod inherited talent. Ryan Mallet, Justin Boren--driven off with about 25 other guys who either weren't Michigan Men or yeah, in some cases, just quit.

But I still bristle over Mallet and Boren. What could they have meant to DickRod other than maybe not putting together a team that kind of made DickRod look like Gerry Faust? But of course, those guys aren't Michigan Men and all Mallet did was lead Arkysaw to a bowl game after being elected as a Captain. And Boren? Only Ohio State's best offensive lineman (if you believe message boards, and boy do I ever, when they agree with me).

So DickRod also hires some guy as a DC who, well, what the fuck was he thinking? Except that guy put a pretty good product on the field that was hampered by the worst offense and special teams Michigan had ever seen. And the defense fell to shit AFTER Shafer was told to go watch old "Laverne and Shirley" reruns while the GENIUS DickRod and Tony Dews took over the defense for the Purdue, Minnesota and Ohio State games.

I guess if you are Brian on MgoBlog, you are happy with the results--expecially holding that juggernaut Golden Goopher team to six points a week after Iowa beat them 55-0.

So Our Man DickRod does the smart thing: He fires his Defensive Coordinator as a result of the disastah that was 2008.

You know, because it was Shafer's fault the offense generated an NCAA record 83 three-and-oots, plus 38 turnovers. It was Shafer's fault UM couldn't catch punts. It was Shafer's fault the team couldn't kick field goals. It was Shafer's fault the team blew halftime leads against Penn State and Illinois because the defense played the enitre game due to a completely inept offense. You get the point.

Anyone notice that Paul Johnson is winning at Georgia Tech with someone else's players and a completely new system? That the guy at Navy is winning with someone else's players? That Saban has resurrected Alabama? That Dantonio is going to his third bowl game in a row? That Bobby Petrino is going bowling with Arkysaw in Year 2? That Brian Kelly kicked some ass at Cincinnati? You get the point.

In hindsight, I do agree the hire looked good on Day One. many of us thought so, and I still believe, rightfully so. But, the last two years have been such utter wastes of time it seems almost counter productive to move forward with this slug.

Give him time? For what? To look even more confused? To continue to get outcoached by the likes of Danny Hope and Ron Zook? To continue to lose players? To continue to get UM highlights onto Youtube for mostly the wrong reasons? To be scheduled for other teams' homecoming games?

And boys, there are more question marks on this team than the day Rodriguez took over.

We lose our three best defensive players (if Warren goes pro). We lose our second or third-best player this season--the fucking PUNTER for chrissakes. We have nothing but untested players to replace them. We have no running backs in the fold who have made significant contributions, and the one who gave some hope will be recovering from ACL surgery this off season. Our best returning offensive lineman will be--recovering from ACL surgery this off season.

And yes, all of Michigan's tradition and winning culture have been unceremoniously crapped on. We were a last-second, shoulder falling off pass by Focier to Martavious Odoms from being WINLESS in the Big Ten--in a down year for an already bad conference.

Thank You, DickRod.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Blog Entries
    All I keep hearing are sometimes veiled, sometimes not, references to Harbaugh being "strange", "unusual" and "different" (nationally). Are those references to his religious convictions or is there something else there?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Kelly to ND being reported
    Find a new slant.

Kelly to ND done deal. Even you Michigan and Spartan slappies out there can admit this was a great hire.
    Destiny

^I feel like I've heard this before.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

I just don't get Notre Dame.......wish somebody would 'splain them to me

+ Reply to Thread