+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Him

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    and what about the year after next? this is the exact line of reasoning that uber fucked michigan in the first place. "were michigan, its our birthright to win 10 games, play on 1/1, and any boob can do it". not so fast my friend.

im not saying RR is the guy, or even the best realistic option for next year. but i would hate to rush into a decision that we'll regret getting into in a couple years. especially when its still reasonable to think RR could eventually turn it around.

The line of thinking that fucked Michigan was "we're tired of 10 win seasons, let's kill the golden goose and eat the meat hoping for a NC".

I'm not on the "Fire Rich Rod Train" yet, but I am getting close. Like Jick said earlier, my expectations for this year were extremely low. I predicted 6-6 and if we got lucky, 7-5. The problem now is we got all excited when we beat ND and started out 4-0. Expectations went through the roof and people were predicting 8 and 9 wins, but that just wasn't realistic. On the other hand though, Illinois and Purdue turned out to be much worse than expected, and we still couldn't manage to beat those lower level teams who were struggling all across the board. No excuse for that, no excuse for losing 5 consecutive games and being last place in the Big Ten. Michigan will finish the year at 1-7 in the Big Ten and dead last. I realize that the "new program" is going to take time, but we should be better than losing 7 straight Big Ten games, and finishing last in the conference.

I know the offense has looked spotty at times, but you can't really blame them. Michigan leads the conference in scoring and scored 36 points yesterday and STILL lost the game.

I realize RR is an "offensive guy", but this defense is the worst in Michigan history and he has to be held responsible. I don't understand why Jordan Kovacs and Mike Williams continue to play at safety when 4 stars Vlad Emilien and Brandon Smith are on the roster. Can they be worse? No, it's not possible. Vlad may be redshirting, but put in Smith. Kovacs is pathetic and probably runs a 4.8.

In closing, I'm not saying "fire this guy" yet, but I am extremely frustrated. Michigan should never be this bad. I say he gets one more year and if Michigan doesn't finish with 7 or 8 wins, he's got to go. The character and scandal issues aren't helping either.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodini31

In closing, I'm not saying "fire this guy" yet, but I am extremely frustrated. Michigan should never be this bad. I say he gets one more year and if Michigan doesn't finish with 7 or 8 wins, he's got to go. The character and scandal issues aren't helping either.
    7 or 8??? You're happy with that. It HAS to be more than that. Rodriguez is EIGHT and SIXTEEN in two years!!!! Nick Saban had Alabama undefeated and #1 most of the year in year 2 of his regime. A minimum of nine wins next year to keep his job (against a tougher schedule).

Whatever happens, hiring Rodriguez turned out to be an unmitigated disaster for Michigan football.

Brandon Smith plays LB. Not sure why everyone keeps thinking he is a safety. Our big problem is that we don't actually have any safeties to choose from on the roster.

Brandon Smith - 4* safety, turned into an ILB.
    Stevie Brown - 4* safety, turned into an OLB.
    Thomas Gordon - redshirting, only played QB in H.S.
    Vlad Emelien - redshirting, missed his entire senior year with a knee injury.
    Mike Jones - redshirting, moving to OLB.
    Michael Williams - 4* safety, has moved back and forth between FS & SS several times and now has to learn the new system.

The thing that really bugs me is why people that play Safety in H.S. are moved to LB'er all of a sudden. They are two different skill sets and if a kid were playing Safety for 4 years of H.S. he has only learned to back pedal and read a QB's eyes and then you are asking him to add 10-20 pounds and learn to step up and take on pulling guards and fullbacks........AHHHHHHHHH.

But yet we get a guy like Cam Gordon who is already the size of a LB'er and has been passed on the depth chart by Je'Ron Stokes (fellow freshman) and has 40 WR's already above him plus 6 more WR's coming in next year. I don't necessarily believe its the coaching 100% that is wrong, I think its the schematic approach to defense. I don't care how bad it is the coaching staff should get their 3 years in the system and then a decision can be made on the future.

Sorry, just venting out of frustration!!!

I think you have to give him another year. That being said, I have my doubts he was the right hire now. You can chalk some losses up to not having his guys yet (lack of correct talent). But, he's made a lot of boneheaded mistakes regardless of the talent. He's basically been out coached in almost every game. Even the game they won in the big ten he was out coached.

Label me very skeptic at this point.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

^As usual, Wiz brings it hard.

I've had a chance to let my anger subside from the Illinois game (and I didn't even really get that angry after the Purdue game because I knew Michigan was going to lose). Rich Rod needs to be gone after this season ends. I know the general thought that you need to give a coach at least three years, but this is different: If you were a betting man, would you say that he's going to turn it around next season? What does he have to do to change the opinion of him?

I think the only way he can instill some confidence in him is if he is within one or two games of winning the Big 10 next season. They should win all four of their non-conference games (3 patsies, Notre Dame) but then they'll need to get at least 5 or 6 wins in the Big 10 season. That's 9 or 10 wins. Anything less than that is unacceptable - 3 years of not even competing for a Big 10 championship would be failure beyond recognition.

So the question is, can you see that happening? The answer, if you don't have severe mental retardation, is no. There is no chance Rich Rod can do that next year. So he needs to be gone. And he needs to be fired after this year for the simple fact that he continues to get little guys that fit only his terrible system, and the Michigan team will be flooded with them before it's too late. We'll either be forced to find a coach like him, or have 3 more years of rebuilding. And if you want Michigan to become the dominant team it once was, they need to get a knock you out defense with a tough pound it out offense. Rich Rod hasn't recruited one of those players yet, and he obviously won't start now. Michigan cannot rebuild another 3 years after this debocle.

Firing Rich Rod is the only option Michigan has now.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    ^As usual, Wiz brings it hard.

I've had a chance to let my anger subside from the Illinois game (and I didn't even really get that angry after the Purdue game because I knew Michigan was going to lose). Rich Rod needs to be gone after this season ends. I know the general thought that you need to give a coach at least three years, but this is different: If you were a betting man, would you say that he's going to turn it around next season? What does he have to do to change the opinion of him?

I think the only way he can instill some confidence in him is if he is within one or two games of winning the Big 10 next season. They should win all four of their non-conference games (3 patsies, Notre Dame) but then they'll need to get at least 5 or 6 wins in the Big 10 season. That's 9 or 10 wins. Anything less than that is unacceptable - 3 years of not even competing for a Big 10 championship would be failure beyond recognition.

So the question is, can you see that happening? The answer, if you don't have severe mental retardation, is no. There is no chance Rich Rod can do that next year. So he needs to be gone. And he needs to be fired after this year for the simple fact that he continues to get little guys that fit only his terrible system, and the Michigan team will be flooded with them before it's too late. We'll either be forced to find a coach like him, or have 3 more years of rebuilding. And if you want Michigan to become the dominant team it once was, they need to get a knock you out defense with a tough pound it out offense. Rich Rod hasn't recruited one of those players yet, and he obviously won't start now. Michigan cannot rebuild another 3 years after this debocle.

Firing Rich Rod is the only option Michigan has now.
    Only option? And then start over, and then can the next guy for not winning a NC after a year and a half? You talk about little guys and a terrible system. Well, those little guysand terrible system (who are all freshmen and sophomores) are leading the Big Ten in scoring at about 33 a game. The offense is solid and is only going to get better. RR needs to go hard after some defensive talent, and I question whether or not the "Barwis program" is going to be successful in the Big Ten. Sure, these dudes are agile and strong, but the D especially is very undersized and is being pushed around up front, getting no pressure on the QB, which is causing some serious issues.

Give Rich another year, then we'll talk. Although, I'm scared the defense is not going to improve next year, or even get worse if possible. We'll be losing our 3 best players in Graham, Stevie Brown, and probably Warren. If RR is hovering around 6 wins next year, he's in serious trouble.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Do you really think the anger directed at Rich Rod is because he hasn't won or been in contention for a National Championship in his first two years? The hatred on him is the fact that a) he's made a mockery of the Michigan program, b) he is setting new lows every game (accomplishing lows that haven't been accomplished in 50 years) and c) the program is still headed in the wrong direction. They are on pace to have LESS Big 10 wins than last season. LESS BIG TEN WINS THAN LAST SEASON.

If I had any faith that he would be the guy to turn it around I would say give him another year. But it's only going to get worse. Michigan needs to start the healing process now before the program flatlines.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

but again, the offense for as frustrating as its been, has been good. maybe great, with a true frosh qb and no bail out 5 star reciever to carry him like some of our qb's in the past.

the defense has been an absolute joke. why? barwis? maybe. lack of talent? definitly. but who's fault is that? how many teams are carried by frosh and sophs on defense? the scheme with spinners and quicks? maybe that too. cissoko sucking and ultimately losing scholarship probably wasnt what RR was hoping for, and god has that killed us.

whatever the d's problem, its huge, and clearly RR has been more focused on offense. maybe he was so focused (like everyone else) on his offensive system the d has gone been a second concern. how much input does he even put into the d? i know last year he decided to implement his system, and purdue lit us up, so maybe defense isnt exactly his thing.

but he atleast brought in a highly regarded coordinator this year. he doesnt have much choice but to recruit the D and offensive lines like crazy for 2011. so maybe the d gets better with time.

theres very little to like about RR's tenure so far. but dont kid yourself and think it cant get worse. nebraska and notre dame fans will tell you otherwise.

i dont love the offense, but the #s are good. i hate the defense, but i honestly cant blame RR entirely, since i dont really understand why its so bad, and dont think it got to this state overnight. plus, the defense cant stay this bad forever, just because no one stays this bad.

+ Reply to Thread