+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: b-diddy's literary interpretation corner

b-diddy's literary interpretation corner

people who enjoy works of literature usually also enjoy discussing what it means to them. and while much literarature fits uncomfortably with a spelled out analysis, its usually fun. i dont know how this board avoided creating this thread for so long. feel free to analyze existing stuff or present new material.

first subject:

elliot smith's "the biggest lie"

I'm waiting for the train
    The subway that only goes one way
    The stupid thing that will come to pull us apart
    And make everybody late
    You spent everything you had
    Wanted everything to stop that bad
    And now I'm a crushed credit card registered to Smith
    Not the name that you call me with
    You turned white like a saint
    I'm tired of dancing on a pot of gold flake paint
    Oh, we're so very precious, you and I
    And everything that you do makes me want to die
    Oh, I just told the biggest lie
    I just told the biggest lie
    The biggest lie

this is the epitome of work thats better left uninterpreted. it connects so well at an emotional level that theres really no need to go beyond that. yet here goes.

the song is obviously about two people heading in opposite directions. smith hints that the two have an intimate connection, as the subject calls him something more familiar "not the name that you called me with". i think its safe to assume the subject is a close friend, or girlfriend.

the subject and smith are headed in different directions, as stated. smith is waiting for a train "that will come to pull us apart". he claims it only goes one way. yet it "pulls us apart". hmm. smith seems to be neglecting the possibility of choice of getting on the train. it also seems that the train might be something more... the ferry that takes people to the afterlife (makes everybody LATE). rigardless, smith and his subject are splitso.

next thing we know subject has "spent everything you had, wanted everything to stop that bad". well, sounds like dead to me. spent/ hand literally means money, usually. but lives can be spent too, and when you spend everything because you want everything to stop, that evokes suicide.

smith's reaction is "hes a crushed credit card registered to smith". off hand, that sounds like a nihilistic way of describing oneself. im this walking money dispenser, and im devasted. "not the name that you called me with", he was something else with the subject. pretty self evident, especially in context.

"you turned white, like a saint". one thing we do is engrandize the dead. also, one thing all saints have in common is that they are dead.

"I'm tired of dancing on a pot of gold flake paint". by far the hardest interpretation, but i guess some people see it as a heroin reference. works for me. it does seem to evoke pretending, though, and the weariness that ensues.

"Oh, we're so very precious, you and I
    The biggest lie "

this goes back to choice, and is the emotional hook of the song. smith says he wants to die, and yet the train is only taking the subject away. apparently, romeo and juliet this is not.

i think this is a self loathing song. smith is upset that he's not feeling the emotions that the situation (an intimate friend's suicide) should require.

wow, what an analysis. I am still trying to break down the first two sentences. I have never been much of a reader and for that matter I also have a hard time understanding books. I have poor english skills which I feel stem from my lack of reading.

If this thread isn't the most searched for page on the entire internet in three days, I will be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    people who enjoy works of literature usually also enjoy discussing what it means to them. and while much literarature fits uncomfortably with a spelled out analysis, its usually fun. i dont know how this board avoided creating this thread for so long. feel free to analyze existing stuff or present new material.

first subject:

elliot smith's "the biggest lie"

I'm waiting for the train
    The subway that only goes one way
    The stupid thing that will come to pull us apart
    And make everybody late
    You spent everything you had
    Wanted everything to stop that bad
    And now I'm a crushed credit card registered to Smith
    Not the name that you call me with
    You turned white like a saint
    I'm tired of dancing on a pot of gold flake paint
    Oh, we're so very precious, you and I
    The biggest lie

this is the epitome of work thats better left uninterpreted. it connects so well at an emotional level that theres really no need to go beyond that. yet here goes.

the song is obviously about two people heading in opposite directions. smith hints that the two have an intimate connection, as the subject calls him something more familiar "not the name that you called me with". i think its safe to assume the subject is a close friend, or girlfriend.

the subject and smith are headed in different directions, as stated. smith is waiting for a train "that will come to pull us apart". he claims it only goes one way. yet it "pulls us apart". hmm. smith seems to be neglecting the possibility of choice of getting on the train. it also seems that the train might be something more... the ferry that takes people to the afterlife (makes everybody LATE). rigardless, smith and his subject are splitso.

next thing we know subject has "spent everything you had, wanted everything to stop that bad". well, sounds like dead to me. spent/ hand literally means money, usually. but lives can be spent too, and when you spend everything because you want everything to stop, that evokes suicide.

smith's reaction is "hes a crushed credit card registered to smith". off hand, that sounds like a nihilistic way of describing oneself. im this walking money dispenser, and im devasted. "not the name that you called me with", he was something else with the subject. pretty self evident, especially in context.

"you turned white, like a saint". one thing we do is engrandize the dead. also, one thing all saints have in common is that they are dead.

"I'm tired of dancing on a pot of gold flake paint". by far the hardest interpretation, but i guess some people see it as a heroin reference. works for me. it does seem to evoke pretending, though, and the weariness that ensues.

"Oh, we're so very precious, you and I
    The biggest lie "

this goes back to choice, and is the emotional hook of the song. smith says he wants to die, and yet the train is only taking the subject away. apparently, romeo and juliet this is not.

i think this is a self loathing song. smith is upset that he's not feeling the emotions that the situation (an intimate friend's suicide) should require.
    I got this very same e-mail in my spam folder, too.

I like Elliot Smith.

Wake up baby, stay up all night
    with the things that you'll do
    You won't but you might.

The people you've been before
    that you don't want around anymore
    They push and they shove and won't bend to your will.
    I'll keep them still.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    ^
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Stabbing yourself in the chest is an interesting way to go out.
    Last edited by Timone; 11-03-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Very metal.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Was he Norwegian?
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread