+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pistons Vs the thunder 8pm, 10/30/09

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

The Pistons Vs the thunder 8pm, 10/30/09

I’m not going to look back at every game, but I was reminded of something as I watched the season opener: The Pistons are the Pistons. The Grizzlies are the Grizzlies. And I overthought that one waaaay too much. Moving on …

Ben Gordon might be in line for his first start with the Pistons just two games into the season, and it has nothing to do with his star outing at Memphis (7-12 FGs, 4-7 3FGs, 22 pts).

Rip Hamilton appears very iffy - officially he’s listed as questionable - for the home opener after spraining his right ankle late in Wednesday’s win. Head trainer Arnie Kander was going to evaluate the injury further after Thursday’s practice, which Rip spent on the sideline getting treatment. Rip’s own initial diagnosis: “hurtin’”.

“Hurts a little worse than yesterday when it actually happened,” he said, “but I’ve got Arnie so hopefully it will get better soon.”

Hamilton is taking the injury seriously because he’s unaccustomed to having such problems.

“I don’t have ankle sprains,” he said. “I think I’ve only had three my whole life so when I do it, when I know I twist my ankle, I know it’s pretty bad because I don’t do it. For me to have to leave the game, that’s always a concern of mine because I always try to finish the game.”

Having not yet heard Kander’s assessment, head coach John Kuester wouldn’t speculate about decisions he’d make if Hamilton were unable to go. The obvious choice would be Gordon, who started 76 games with the Bulls last year. Whether he starts or not, Gordon wants to make his Pistons regular-season debut in front of the home fans something special.

“The main goal is to just get a W but at the same time I know the fans want to see something spectacular,” Gordon said. “I’m just going to try to come out and play my game and hopefully that will be satisfying for the fans.”

A Gordon-Stuckey pairing would be an interesting combo against the Thunder’s starting backcourt of 6-foot-3 point guard Russell Westbrook and Thabo Sefolosha, a 6-foot-7, no-frills defender who complements the scorers around him. Hamilton, also 6-7, would have been a natural assignment for Sefolosha. Thunder coach Scott Brooks will have to make a decision on how to use him if Hamilton’s out.

If Wednesday is any indication, the Pistons should fair well against the Thunder, who like the Grizzlies have exciting scorers on the perimeter but little depth behind them.

The Thunder had just 11 bench points in their otherwise extremely impressive season debut on Wednesday, defeating Sacramento, 102-89.The Thunder scored 39 points in the first quarter - matching their quarter high from last season - and had 68 by halftime before easing off the gas.

“We have our hands full,” Kuester said. “They are well-coached, they’re an outstanding group of talented young athletes that get up and down.”

The frontcourt of Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic combined for 69 points, which could should a pose a formidable challenge for Detroit. The Grizzlies starting frontcourt of Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol accounted for 51 of Memphis’ 74 points on a combined 56% shooting from the field.

Of course, the Pistons weren’t exactly doomed by that performance, and Tayshaun’s constant pestering of Gay should give the Pistons as good a chance anyone to contain Durant, who posted 25 points 11 rebounds and four assists in the Thunder’s opener.

“I thought Tayshaun did a wonderful job on [Gay] defensively,” Kuester said. Gay attempted just 12 shots, scoring 16 points. “I was very impressed. Even the shots he did make were contested shots.”

With a lot of momentum coming off a near-flawless opener and the extra juice of playing at home for the first time, the Pistons should score when they need to Friday, whether Hamilton plays or not.
    http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/prereport_091030.html

Expect a positive post appearance by:

+

Otherwise enjoy another season of Pistons basketball.....Fuckers
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Is Rip going to get hurt at the start of every season now? Is that like his new thing since he can't put tire tracks in his hair anymore?
    STEW BEEF!

He's not hurt, he's faking it so he doesn't have to come off the bench.

Blog Entries
    Great thread, Mr. Dynomite.

I don't have any idea what it means, but thanks!
    Find a new slant.

He is saying you are going to do your positivity shtick in here and that you are inconsistent with you opinions, I believe.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    I'm being positive in all threads, not just this one, and I try really hard to be consistent, but I suppose we can all get better if we try hard enough!

Thanks for the translation!
    Find a new slant.

Why does Simmons refer to the Thunder as the Zombies? I know Simmons sucks donkey balls, but I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    Why does Simmons refer to the Thunder as the Zombies? I know Simmons sucks donkey balls, but I was just curious.

Zombie Sonics. They were killed and rose from the dead elsewhere. He refuses to call them their team name because fuck them for taking a team from a city that treated them just fine.

Blog Entries
    Pistons by 27.

Stuckey with the triple double!
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread