+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009/2010 Detroit Tigers Offseason

Mags will be in a contract year.

Avilla is a keeper.
    Players meeting my ASS!

cabrera's behavior is 100% unacceptable. reports were last year's clubhouse was a joke. if he was part of the problem, then i would accept DD dealing him. crazy, i know. but you make moves before you have to, and he'll never have higher value. i have no interest in watching an immature wunderkind squander his talent. IF its strike 2 and IF theres an A++++ deal for him, i'd be fine moving him.

bringing back mags sux. they better not let him get the ABs again next year.

I think polanco could be moved to 3rd. i think both infielders get called up, and inge's future is nebulous.

outside of the bp, i suspect therell be few additions. maybe LF but isnt W Ramirez ready?

Blog Entries
    Isn't this the 2009 offseason, Wil?
    Find a new slant.

It's really 2009-2010, faggots.

Blog Entries
    Ok here we go...

2008 salaries are in ( )

FREE AGENTS

Jarrod Washburn ($4M)
    Aubrey Huff ($2M)
    Gary Sheffield ($15M)
    Brandon Lyon ($4.25M)
    Adam Everett ($1M)
    Fernando Rodney ($2.7M)

Off The Books = $28.95M

Now, the unoffical Elias rankings are out, and only Polanco projects as a Type A free agent. Fernando Rodney just missed the cutoff line and is a Type B along with Brandon Lyon. Jarrod Washburn was so bad in his 2 months here, he went from having an outside shot at Type A status to completely unranked. The rankings are based on production in 2 year intervals, btw.

We will absolutely offer Polanco, Lyon & Rodney arbitration. Polanco would be the only one who might consider accepting it, although I don't think he will. In all, we are going to be net some solid compensation extra picks next June.

Both Aubrey Huff and Jarrod Washburn will almost certainly be gone. Neither put up the type of production to warrant a new contract here in Detroit.

NON-TENDER CANDIDATES (arbitration eligible; likely to be non-tenders and become free agents)

Marcus Thames ($2.275M)- poor display of power is probably what did him in, even with all the opportunites with Maggs getting benched and Guillen missing 3 months, he couldn't carve out a niche'. Time for him to move on.

Matt Treanor ($750K)

Off The Books = $3.025M + $28.95M = $31.975M

ARBITRATION ELIGIBLES

Justin Verlander ($3.675M)
    Edwin Jackson ($2.2M)
    Gerald Laird ($2.8M)
    Ramon Santiago ($825K)
    Bobby Seay ($1.3M)
    Joel Zumaya ($735K)

Dombrowski may explore signing Verlander & Jackson to long-term deals, but I'm not sure what route he will go. I'd say there's more incentive to get a deal done with Justin right now and let Jackson pitch out '10 to see if his '09 wasn't a fluke. Laird could fetch a nice raise, and so will Santiago & Seay. Zumaya may get around $800K or so. Dombrowski will probably settle all these guy's contracts without using the arbitration process, which is customary.

UNDER CONTRACT: 2010 salaries in "()"

Magglio Ordonez ($18M)
    Miguel Cabrera ($20M)- $5M pay raise from '09
    Jeremy Bonderman ($12.5M)
    Carlos Guillen ($13M)- $3M pay raise from '09
    Dontrelle Willis ($12M)- $2M pay raise from '09
    Nate Robertson ($10M)- $3M pay raise from '09
    Brandon Inge ($6.6M)- $300K pay raise from '09
    Curtis Granderson ($5.5M)- $2M pay raise from '09

Total Committed = $97.6M

OTHERS WHO ARE NOT YET ARB. ELIG

most of these guys are making south of $500K and are hardly a blip on the payroll...

Zach Miner
    Fu-Te Ni
    Ryan Raburn
    Armando Galarraga
    Alex Avila
    Ryan Perry
    Eddie Bonine
    Clete Thomas
    Jeff Larish
    Wilkin Ramirez
    Freddy Dolsi
    Alfredo Figaro

DFA CANDIDATES (free up 40 man roster spots)

Don Kelly
    Clay Rapada

2010 POSITION BY POSITION

Catcher: For everything Gerald Laird was defensively this year, he was equally as poor offensively. His 0-6 performance yesterday was an appropriate way for him to end his season. How many times this year did we have to see him popout in the infield or in foul territory? He wasn't nearly this poor of a hitter in Texas. All that being said, he's still a dead lock to be back next year, and Leyland loves him. Let's hope his poor hitting was just a fluke. I'll even take a .250 avg next yr and be pleased. Alex Avila might be the back-up, but I could also see the team wanting him to get reguar AB's in AAA for the first few months. If that's the case, they might have Dusty Ryan start the year as Larid's backup, not that he did anything to deserve it.

First Base: Miguel Cabrera. Our best player. I thought he became a very underrated defensive player this season. I don't think we've seen his best baseball yet.

Second Base: There are some people in this town (Lynn Henning) who don't think Placido Polanco will be back next year. I find it hard to believe Leyland won't be begging Dombrowski to re-sign his favorite player, but it's entirely possible he could get a lucrative 3-4 yr deal elsewhere at a price the Tigs just can't afford to pay him. If he turns down arbitration, it will kill his FA value since half the league won't want to give up their 1st Rd Pick to sign him. It might be the Tigs best chance at getting him back next year. He's a plus defender, and he's still more than capable of hitting above .300. He even drove in 70+ RBI this past year. If he does leave, the Tigs could look to replace him from within (Scott Sizemore) or move Ramon Santiago to second.

Shortstop: The duo of Adam Everett and Ramon Santiago drove in over 70+ RBI this season combined. Couple that with the plus defense and all the sac. bunts they each had, not to mention the fact they made less than $2M combined, and I'd say this duo was great this season. Adam Everett will probably be back, perhaps earning a slight raise from the $1M he made this past year.

3rd Base: Brandon Inge. Remember when we couldn't give him away just two years ago? Suddenly the $6.6M he's due to earn in a contract year could be a mega bargain. He made some strides at the plate but started to revert back to the "Old Brandon" (the one that hits under .200) after his 0-for in the HR Derby. I guess we can only hope that was due to his knee injury, so at least we have an excuse to convince ourselves that the Inge who hit .270 was indeed, legit.

Left Field: It will be interesting to see what the Tigs decide to do for LF next year. Most people seem to think that Carlos Guillen will move to full-time DH, leaving the position void. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan Raburn get a chance to win the job. The guy had a great season at the plate (.288, 16 HR in just 257 AB). He has his moments in the OF, but he's overall a solid athlete. I'm just not sure Dombrowski would feel comfortable taking him out of that 'utility' role and finding a FA to plug there instead. Wilkin Ramirez probably isn't a possiblity. Could they seek a trade for Carl Crawford, who the Rays will probably make available?

Centerfield: Curtis Granderson may have had one of the oddest seasons in recent memory. He hit a whopping 30 HR, stole over 20 bags, made some special defensive plays, but also took a huge step back hitting vs. lefties, struck out a ton, and hit under .250. On one hand it's impressive to see how much the guy is capable of doing, but consistency is needed when he's hitting leadoff, and he couldn't give us that this year. Regardless, I don't think the Tigs will try and trade him like some rumor mills have suggested this summer. He's still relatively young and a fan favorite.

Right Field: I know I've said it more than once on here, but I'll say it again. Before this year started, didn't we all expect Magglio Ordonez to be on the team in 2010? None of us could've actually forecasted this production dropoff. Not after a year in which he knocked in over 100 RBI and was second to Joe Mauer in batting avg. I think the Magglio we saw in the 2nd half of this year is what we're going to see next year. He didn't have an injury to suggest he was washed up at the plate, and I think part of the reason his RBI numbers were so bad was because both Granderson & Polanco played absolutely brutal for the first 2 months of the season. The guy had nobody to drive in! Remember, he was hitting a modest .280 when Leyland decided to bench him back in the summer. Of course he'll be overpaid, but there isn't a team in this league that isn't paying someone more than he's worth. If Maggs can hit .315 with 15-18 HR and 85 RBI next year (a contract year, no less), I say we'll be fine. And no, Clete Thomas isn't starter material.

DH: As mentioned earlier, it seems Carlos Guillen will be given the DH job next year. He finished this past year with 11 HR despite not hitting his first one until late July. Don't read too much into his .245 avg. The first 3 1/2 months of the year were a total write-off for Carlos, so his percentage figures are a bit skewed this year.

I'll do the pitching staff and a list of potential FA/trade targets tomorrow ...
    Last edited by Wilfredo Ledezma; 10-07-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Also tomorrow I will hit on the rest of the AL Central and their personnel situations (impending FA's, spending $$$, team direction etc.)...

How will playing outdoors affect "Minnesota Twins" baseball?? Will they lock up Joe Mauer? Will they be able to afford to re-sign Orlando Cabrera, Jon Rauch and/or Carl Pavano?

Are the Indians done selling off their assets? Or will Hafner, Wood & Peralta be the next to go this winter?

Given the lack of talent in the minors and at the pro level, would KC trade Greinke for a kings ransom?

How much do the additions of Peavy & Rios hamper the ChiSox offseason flexibility?

Stay tuned!! =)
    Last edited by Wilfredo Ledezma; 10-07-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Informative Post but I have a few disagreements...

1.) I hate when people combine the stats of Everett and Santiago into one player and than say we got solid production from the SS position. They had damn near 700 plate appearance combined because Santiago played other positions as well. And we're supposed to be happy with an OBP under .300 and 75 or so RBI's?

2.) Inge is in now way a bargain at 6 million +. He is no where near a .270 hitter. Baseball has a funny way on balancing out on a player over the course of a long period of time.(a season) He batted .270 early on and than .180 the rest of the way. Poof, he is what he is and ended up to be. a .230 hitter with some pop that plays good defense.

Individually I have no problem with Laird at catcher, Inge at 3rd, or a Santiago/Everrett duo at SS. It's the fact that collectively we are not going to win if they all return unless we sign an in his prime Barry Bonds to play LF.

I expect Granderson and Guillen to be better but they still need to upgrade one of those positions severly.

Looking forward to your targets tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I do so love a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    People love train wrecks.

agree with traiwreck.

i think everett is gone. with atleast sizemore coming up' we wont have room.

mags has lost speed and power. he hit like 370 down the stretch for us and yet we played our worst ball. i dont see why next year is better.

sign verl long, use atleast one of jackson's arb years.

demote inge if possible. good d and power, but most 3rd baseman play good defense. i dont see his 6m contract as a bargain at all.

i like rodney but wouldnt outbid for him.

Blog Entries
    sorry guys, I have a few corrections to make, I didn't really proofread my post...

at the top, I meant 2009 salaries in '( )', not 2008.

Zach Miner is arb. eligible this year...

and I don't mean to come off as an elitist or anything, so sorry if it seems like I'm coming off as one...all of it is opinion based/stating the obvious

However, Adam Everett will certainly be back next yr, that you can write in stone...

ill do the pitch staff/R5 eligibles/etc. tonite...gotta get back to work..

With that payroll, they won't fix more than 1-2 spots. I think they'll try to get another OF and move Carlos to DH exclusively (with Rayburn backing up when Maggs DH's). I bet they keep Laird (I didn't see great alternatives out there BTW). I doubt they sign a 3B and move Inge to SS like I want, but they should. There are a lot better options out there for bats at 3B. If Everett stays as a backup that's fine.

If they could replace Thames and Everett in the lineup with two bigger bats (LF and 3B) it could make a huge difference.

+ Reply to Thread