+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: All things ACORN

Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    You've been beating the ACORN drum all over this forum. Since you'd never just parrot a republican talking point, I'm sure you must have more than "lol" on the topic and can enlighten us on how you get from "bad registration" to "stolen election" right?

[/i]
    I really didn't think I've been beating the ACORN drum all over this board, but that is 5 posts about it or something.

You missed my sentence or 2 somewhere where I said they have NO quality control over the registrations they submit.

Anyway, the election is over, investigate it, fix it and be ready for the midterms.

I don't care who registration fraud helps, its wrong and should be stopped. On the ACORN situation, it's pretty clear to me that the Organization was fucking up and whether it was intentional or not remains to be seen and shit.

Also, I don't think I answered your post very good, but it wasnt really a question afaict.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    I really didn't think I've been beating the ACORN drum all over this board, but that is 5 posts about it or something.

You missed my sentence or 2 somewhere where I said they have NO quality control over the registrations they submit.

Anyway, the election is over, investigate it, fix it and be ready for the midterms.

I don't care who registration fraud helps, its wrong and should be stopped. On the ACORN situation, it's pretty clear to me that the Organization was fucking up and whether it was intentional or not remains to be seen and shit.

Also, I don't think I answered your post very good, but it wasnt really a question afaict.
    They do have quality control over the registrations they submit. A large number of fraudulant ones are flagged during the process. To say that they have 'NO' quality control is absolutely wrong. They might not have good quality control, but there is zero evidence that the fake registrants ever show up. Also, ACORN specifically has been investigated in the past. David Iglesias was fired because he wouldn't pursue a politically motivated case against them. Also, I would much rather a repub group register a bunch of fake names that never show up, then have them fraudulantly switch party affiliations by tricking dems or throwing out the registration applications of dems, like they've done in the past.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Blog Entries
    ...or have them order the Supreme Court to have ballot counting stopped prematurely while their guy was barely ahead.
    Find a new slant.

Can we name this the "Therapy Thread' for Dems? Or maybe the 'Lets try this rationale' to make us feel better thread? Y'all seem to be pretty defensive about it. I'd prolly give a shit if the election was close because it could make a difference, imo, but its not, it won't matter.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Wasn't that Al that appealed to the SC?
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Wasn't that Al that appealed to the SC?
    He did, but they didn't allow the recount to be finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki

Florida
    Main article: United States presidential election in Florida, 2000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._Florida,_2000

At approximately 7:50 p.m. EST on election day, 70 minutes before the polls closed in the largely-Republican Florida panhandle, which is in the Central time zone, some television news networks declared that Gore had carried Florida's 25 electoral votes. They based this prediction substantially on exit polls. However, in the actual vote tally Bush began to take a wide lead early in Florida, and by 10 p.m. EST those networks had retracted that prediction and placed Florida back into the "undecided" column. At approximately 2:30 am, with some 85% of the votes counted in Florida and Bush leading Gore by more than 100,000 votes, the networks declared that Bush had carried Florida and therefore had been elected President. However, most of the remaining votes to be counted in Florida were located in three heavily-Democratic counties - Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach - and as their votes were reported Gore began to gain on Bush. By 4:30 am, after all votes were counted, Gore had narrowed Bush's margin to just over 2,000 votes, and the networks retracted their predictions that Bush had won Florida and the presidency. Gore, who had privately conceded the election to Bush, now withdrew his concession and announced that he would wait for a recount in Florida before any further action. After the first recount by the morning of Wednesday, November 8 Bush's margin in Florida had dwindled to about 500 votes, narrow enough to trigger a mandatory recount in that state. In addition, Gore asked for hand recounts in four counties (Broward, Miami Dade, Palm Beach, and Volusia), as provided under Florida state law. This set into motion a series of recounts (portions by machine, and portions by hand), questions about portions of the Florida vote, and finally lawsuits.

These ultimately resulted in a December 12 7-2 United States Supreme Court decision stating that the Florida Supreme Court's plan for recounting ballots was unconstitutional, as well as a 5-4 United States Supreme Court decision that ended the Florida recounts and allowed Florida to certify its vote. The vote was certified according to Florida state election law by Katherine Harris, the Republican Secretary of State who had been the Florida co-chair of Bush's campaign.[33] Because Bush's younger brother, Jeb Bush, was the governor of Florida, there were allegations that Harris and Jeb Bush had manipulated the election to favor the governor's brother.
    Find a new slant.

Hey, if you play with fire...

Seriously, if you ask someone's opinion be prepared to deal with the consequences, imo.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    And these didn't help either, unless your name was George Bush or Pat Buchanan

Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    In most states, once a registration appears to be signed and done, they CAN'T have much in the way of quality control. They are required by law to submit the signed registration forms to the appropriate elections folks. They can flag what they think are fraudulent ones, but they must submit them nonetheless.

Can we name this the "Therapy Thread' for Dems? Or maybe the 'Lets try this rationale' to make us feel better thread? Y'all seem to be pretty defensive about it. I'd prolly give a shit if the election was close because it could make a difference, imo, but its not, it won't matter.
    well, considering the repub pres. candidate declared that ACORN threatened to destroy our democracy, it sure would be nice if repubs could provide a shred of proof. otherwise, we'll have to deal with 4 years of completely unsubstantiated rumors of obama's illegitimacy as pres.

IMO, the greatest tragedy of FL 2000 was the purge of disproportionately African American voters based on improper matching to a felon list. On the dem side, I think Gore made a huge mistake in targeting dem counties for a recount. First, the challenge seemed to manipulate the recount system. Second, I suspect that investigation of repub counties would have identified a much larger set of anomalies anyways. I think the 'felon' purge was totally unconstitutional and could have given bush the win. However, dems should not overlook the fact that gore provided a ton of ammunition for the repubs by centering the recount in dem counties. Nonetheless, there needs to be a far better recount system in the future, so that everyone can believe in election results.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

+ Reply to Thread