View Poll Results: What the fuck just happened?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • "You are kind of a self-hating white person, you know."

1 7.69%
  • "I think you are a self-hating white person, but I really don't see anything wrong with that."

1 7.69%
  • "See, what happened is you had a run-in with a flat out fucking racist."

5 38.46%
  • "You should have started some shit with that guy. Why didn't you call him out?"

3 23.08%
  • "You need to talk to the people who hosted this party, ask them 'what's up with your boy?'"

0 0%
  • Something else (post in thread)

3 23.08%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Need consensus advice

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    ^ Gotcha.

Thing is, there are plenty of Amyre Makupsons in the world - people born to black parents, but who look caucasian. I don't recall seeing any black people at the party, but what would have happened if one of us had been? Maybe same shit - just a lot of "wait, what the fuck just happened?" and not much else.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I was completely freaked out - first of all, that this guy did not have a problem just saying this out loud in a group of people with some people he didn't know well. Second of all, this is not the kind of talk you expect to hear from a middle-class guy in his mid-30s, which he was. Lastly, no one in this party said a damn thing to him about his remarks, everyone just acted like nothing happened.
    As a party-goer, I would've interpreted the invocation of "Stuff White People Like" as "oh geez, please let there not be an uncomfortable moment" and the following uncomfortable moment as something to just stay away from -- not fuel the trolls. It's not white guilt... I'd have about the same reaction to a party-goer who picks their nose in public.

I'm comfortable with most aspects of who I am, and (judging from a minor event a couple weeks ago) quite ready to stand up against racism when it's actively being engaged in my presence. But, that doesn't mean that I feel compelled to tell off to every racist smacktalking blowhard who passes gas in my general direction, especially if I've made the mistake of opening the door.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Never considered that. I guess it's true that bringing stuff like that up in a group of people is kind of like saying "hey, is there anyone with race issues in this room?"

I figure there are two routes to go on this. You could have a long, nuanced discussion with him about why what he said was racist. Or you could just say fuck it and let it slide.

For the most part I'm not going to bother with the first option unless it's someone I actually give a shit about. There's too much low-grade white privilege backlash douchebaggery in the world for me to personally crusade against it at the misdemeanor level.

labeling the dude a racist on that one line is beyond extreme. maybe he said it cuz he thought you needed to hear it?

not to play the 'poor white male' card, but some people act like we owe society an apology. ever notice how often the white male is portrayed as a helpless rube in commercials?

i get that you were just trying to keep the conversation light, but some people do get tired of it.

i voted 1 by the way. i dont actually know if you hate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    labeling the dude a racist on that one line is beyond extreme.
    Agreed. However, labeling what he said is another story.
    Last edited by geerussell; 09-10-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Oh noes! Sometimes white guys on tv are dumb! Can't wait for the antisemitism laced reply.
    STEW BEEF!

Who fucking cares.

Where's that option?

That should be an option. +1 new guy.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    Agreed. However, labeling what he said is another story.
    colored people do alot of annoying things.

alot of white people annoy me.

which is more offensive?

theres nothing wrong with saying 'alot of colored people annoy me'. i dont know if 'colored' is the most pc word choice, but poor word choice doesnt make you racist.

+ Reply to Thread