+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: OGT: MSU vs. some community college team or something (9/5/09)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    Who said "UofM is BACK?
    Fans of the "omg we scored a TD, we are the best, watch out nation!!111" variety, also known as youtubers and mgobloggers.

Just curious Baker, how many MSU fans like that do you encounter on the web?
    Last edited by Timone; 09-07-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Majority of their fanbase seems to believe so according to everything I am hearing, reading, etc.
    Sort of reminds me of the Jolly Green Giant fans last year after they beat big brother.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by LDB
    Fans of the "omg we scored a TD, we are the best, watch out nation!!111" variety, also known as youtubers and mgobloggers.

Just curious Baker, how many MSU fans like that do you encounter on the web?
    Honestly, the majority of State fans that I talk to seem to be more level. Meaning not too high when things are good and not gloom and doom when things are bad. There are of course exceptions. That is what I like about the RCMB, the fans there (majority, not all) are intelligent fans. When someone posts 12-0, they typically get made fun of.

I don't mean for this to be a shot at UM fans at all, they just seem to be sky high one minute and the world is ending the next. More way high and way low. Lots of big bold statements in one direction or the other. I'm just basing that on my experiences.

Blog Entries
    You should've seen some of the UM fans in the MGoBlog live chat talking about being ranked after the game, lol.

Anyway, I'm done discussing UM in here. Whaddya think about next week's MSU game? I'd tell ya what I think, but I honestly don't know much about the Spartans' squad.

Quote Originally Posted by LDB
    You should've seen some of the UM fans in the MGoBlog live chat talking about being ranked after the game, lol.

Anyway, I'm done discussing UM in here. Whaddya think about next week's MSU game? I'd tell ya what I think, but I honestly don't know much about the Spartans' squad.
    I think CMU will be very good this year, but I expect an even better performance from MSU. One thing Dantonio is establishing is consistency. I expect to see an improvement in the ground game with one of the two freshmen hitting 70 yds after Ray hits 80. A good secondary will help greatly against CMU's mini Tebow (he has 1,000 more yds for his career than Tebow but against MAC comp).

I believe MSU will win by 3 tds.

Just looked it up, Michigan plays bottom of the barrel Eastern instead of Central. I really don't see your point at all.
    The Big 10 is weak this year, and loading up on a boatload of cupcakes doesn't help matters.

Penn State looked like shit. Iowa looked like shit. Ohio State looked like shit. If you want respect, you have to man up (cowboy up?) and play the toughies early on. If you win, you crack the top 25. Then, with an easy schedule (ooohhhhhh, MAC is scaaaaarrrrry), you nudge up to top 20, which places you in a great position for a major bowl.

And that SoS listing was garbage. Read the comments beneath it and most of the backlash is ABOUT MSU at #10.

I believe MSU will win by 3 tds.
    Instant Cursed!

Quote Originally Posted by DennyMcLain
    The Big 10 is weak this year, and loading up on a boatload of cupcakes doesn't help matters.

Penn State looked like shit. Iowa looked like shit. Ohio State looked like shit. If you want respect, you have to man up (cowboy up?) and play the toughies early on. If you win, you crack the top 25. Then, with an easy schedule (ooohhhhhh, MAC is scaaaaarrrrry), you nudge up to top 20, which places you in a great position for a major bowl.

And that SoS listing was garbage. Read the comments beneath it and most of the backlash is ABOUT MSU at #10.
    Scheduling Notre Dame is more than most do. Look at Florida. Sure they play in the SEC, but they haven't played a game outside of their state in the non-conference in a DECADE! Until we have a playoff that allows teams a loss or two...you won't see crazy scheduling

The Points of Baker

Baker is so much fun I've decided to take on his points in this thread. He reminds me of Hipdigit, who on the Detroit News Forums is Captain Morgan. Both hate Michigan so much it clouds every thought, thing, feeling, and probably even causes them some constipation.

With that in mind, let's discuss Baker's Points in this thread:

1) MSU's schedule: Montana State---Delaware State. Two directionals and Notre Dame. MSU gets the nod with Central. And they get a break with their Big Ten schedule, but hey, thems how the apples fall. MSU could very well go 4-0 non conference. We'll know more about Notre Dame after this week--but IIRC, this year's game is in Lansing.
    As for Game One--they played Montana State. I looked for one thing (same thing I looked for with Michigan): Did MSU show that teams like this don't belong on the same field with Sparty? Yes, yes they did. Game over by halftime. Good job.

2) "Majority" of UM's fan base believes Michigan is BAAAACK: From a message board guy standpoint, he's probably right. But it is a tepid, or dare I say, tenuous "We're Back"? After all the bullshit, the WMU was a deserved feel good moment. Dic Rod has been pummeled by the Detroit Media since Day One, the attacks have been amped up, and just to play a game and have it over by halftime was fun. But yeah, to a point our fanbase is now talking about thrashing Notre Dame and while not ready to polish up the crystal football just yet, it is hovering on the ledge where a very possibly convincing Notre Dame victory could cause a few to jump.

3) The MSU fan base is more level headed. UM fans are "sky high" one minute and way down the next: This one is interesting not just because it is true, but what it is rooted in. For one, MSU football has been The Poop for forty years. I count about six good seasons in there, but overall, The Poop. So expectations are not yet that high, and they are going to be more "wait and see"--But I do say that MSU football fans having any expectations are an improvement. Hey, that football team and coach are good. Dantonio has completely changed the culture and MSU gets talent now, and a coach who knows how to use it. I think he has a great staff as well. Narduzzi, the DC, is quality and just might get plucked by someone like a Western in the near future. MSU is going to be a good team as long as Dantonio is there. Even if DickRod turns this UM thing around, they do not recruit the same players on offense, even down to offensive linemen. That leaves a lot of talent for MSU. And with the Michigan Media raining down hard on Rodriguez, MSU just may be seen as the better place at least for Michigan kids, and possibly the Ohio Leftovers that both need. There is much reason for MSU fans to begin to polish off their "Smack Dictionaries"--only now they may be able to talk from the POV that they are good, instead the ankle biting chihuahuas like bukdow and Green Giant personify.

Michigan fans? Feast or famine; party or suicide watch. Depends on the game's outcome. And it depends on which play is being run during the game. Are now and always have been quick to toss player and coach under the bus. But it comes from forty years of being among the best in college football. For the years 1968-2008 (yes, including 3-9), UM is #3 in wins and winning percentage. And of course, the LONG history UM brings to the table. Michigan State had one solid run, from 1947-1966. Other than that, The Poop. Expectations are always high; national championships have been within reach multiple times; and there has ALWAYS (except for one year) been a one game letdown, a bowl loss, or Ohio State.
    Different angles for the fans lead to different expectations and reactions.

All in all, Baker's Points have been solid in this thread, and thus he avoids the of my foot up his ass.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Unfortunately the ND game is actually at ND this year, not lansing.

+ Reply to Thread