+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 MSU/UM recruiting class by major

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Michigan State is the 2nd largest university in the country. They approach education in a different way. They could also take in just their top 5% and claim eliteness.

What is funny is fans pounding their chests about their academics when in reality, their athletes are being pushed through hush hush.
    Considering that michigan is also one of the largest universities in the country, i doubt that the number of students is a major factor in the difference between universities. I bet that an examination of post-career income for non pro athletes would show that michigan players fare better than msu players after graduation. If the question is whether athletes take easier classes than the general population at u-m, the answer is unequivocally yes. However, that hardly makes them worse off than if u-m did not accept them via athletic scholarship in the first place.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Blog Entries
    THERE IS NO ROOM FOR COMMON SENSE IN THESE HERE THREADS
    Find a new slant.

Diddy, you don't think its shady that they push their kids into two majors? Who cares if you think majors are meaningless...pushing kids into classes they will "pass" and pushing them toward a shady professor for "independent studies" is wrong.

Ask Memphis about academic fraud.
    its like youve completely ignored what ive said. if we were talking about the class of 2006, you would atleast have a point. you have zilch for 2008.

the % of kids after frosh year who a) know what they want to do, b) follow through with that for 3 more years , and c) have actually taken the step of going to the registrar's office and declared is very small.

i would stop being so quick to judge these teenagers. during your frosh year, being pre-med and pre-philosophy can be identical. so one isnt more impressive than the other yet. alot of kids take a year or two to figure things out. or in your case, decades.

Michigan State is the 2nd largest university in the country. They approach education in a different way. They could also take in just their top 5% and claim eliteness.

What is funny is fans pounding their chests about their academics when in reality, their athletes are being pushed through hush hush.
    My wife's cousin was the biggest U of M fan I've ever met. He has wanted to go there as long as I have known him. His grades were not good enough to get in, so he went to MSU.

MSU is a good school also (don't think I'm saying otherwise). I'm just saying I don't think you know what you are talking about here.

If you want to say athletes are held to a different standard, sure. But they pound their chest on academic standards because it's true.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

It just blows my mind...why do you guys keep arguing a common sense point? He doesn't get it...never has, never will.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    the % of kids after frosh year who a) know what they want to do, b) follow through with that for 3 more years , and c) have actually taken the step of going to the registrar's office and declared is very small.

i would stop being so quick to judge these teenagers. during your frosh year, being pre-med and pre-philosophy can be identical. so one isnt more impressive than the other yet. alot of kids take a year or two to figure things out. or in your case, decades.
    He just doesn't get it.

I took 2 classes for my major prior to my junior year. that is it. everything else was pre-reqs.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

BTW, where is he getting the 2nd largest university from anyway?

Ignore the formatting, but MSU isn't even the largest in the big ten:

Ranking University Location Enrollment
    1 The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio 53,715
    2 Arizona State University Tempe, Arizona 52,734
    3 University of Florida Gainesville, Florida 51,413
    4 University of Minnesota Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota 51,141
    5 University of Central Florida at Orlando, Florida 50,254
    6 University of Texas at Austin at Austin, Texas 50,006
    7 Texas A&M University at College Station, Texas 48,029
    8 Michigan State University East Lansing, Michigan 46,648
    9 University of South Florida at Tampa, Florida 46,174
    10 Pennsylvania State University University Park, Pennsylvania 44,406
    11 University of Washington at Seattle, Washington 42,113
    12 University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, Wisconsin 42,041
    13 University of Illinois Champaign, Illinois 42,025
    14 University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan 41,028
    15 Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana 40,485
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_enrollment

WTFChris, they were the 2nd largest last time I checked. That's why I said that.

But hey, I can admit when I'm wrong. If Michigan is close in kids to MSU, then props to them academically. I got away from the point with my 5% comment. I've never wore a "Michigan State Academics" shirt, I root for their sports teams.

It is the same thing Buk always says, people that didn't go there point out how great Michigan is academically (which is funny) and their athletes are held to a completely different standard. Well known fact.

If you went to Michigan and you have that degree, thump your chest and be proud cuz you should be. But the athletes, different story.
    Last edited by Baker; 08-24-2009 at 12:51 PM.

It must have been a while since Baker last checked.

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclope...-by-enrollment

Quote Originally Posted by CindyKate
    It must have been a while since Baker last checked.

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclope...-by-enrollment
    Must have been 2nd in BT at one time.

But hey, I can admit when I'm wrong.

+ Reply to Thread