+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow Dog Linux on PS3

Yellow Dog Linux on PS3

Does anyone have YDL or ubuntu installed on their PS3? I'm interested in doing that and a codec pack to free up my PS3 for movie playing a little bit... If so, is it easy to do?

Thanks

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    codec paks are not allowed on PS3, heres the playable movie files.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...filetypes.html

You're better off finding converters to get you within the right codec. I dont fuck with linux on PS3, waste of time imo if you have a computer.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Linux basically brings an OS to your PS3, which means it would be able to play other files with new codecs... It will take ages to convert every HD show I want to put on there. Hence the interest in the Linux. I have a ton of free time this week so I'll probably go get a USB wireless keyboard and give it a try.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRay11
    Linux basically brings an OS to your PS3, which means it would be able to play other files with new codecs... It will take ages to convert every HD show I want to put on there. Hence the interest in the Linux. I have a ton of free time this week so I'll probably go get a USB wireless keyboard and give it a try.
    The ps3 OS is nothing i'd care to have is my point in comparison to a pc or mac. As far as going through all that to play hd movie files? they take up alot of space in the first place, you're better off buying discs imo. But you seem set on doing the os conversion, so best of luck getting it done. Read up as much as possible so that your gaming end isnt affected. My only recommendation in doing it is maxing out your ps3 hard drive properly to avoid space issues.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Have you tried using the Playstation Media Server (PMS)?
    http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

I have it installed on my PC, and I can watch everything on my PS3 streamed wirelessly. If the PS3 won't play the file directly, it creates a folder called #TRANSCODED and lets your PC do all the work. I haven't had a single file not be able to play.

I have not, but I did successfully install Xubuntu on my PS3, it is pretty sweet using it on my 40" TV as a PC.

I'll have to check out the ps3mediaserver though, sounds pretty easy...

If you have Linux on your PS3, you won't any more on Thursday if you update your system:

Sony Computer Entertainment announced the April 1 v3.21 PS3 firmware update will disable the Other OS option altogether.

That's fine. I don't really use it any more, plus I'm going to be building or buying a media PC (not sure yet). Dual booting it with an Xbox Media Center type deal and also Linux or Windows 7 for web streaming and stuff. Networking it with my other computer(s) so I can download stuff right to it.

ftw

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    This strikes me as a Sony kind of move.

They come up with great hardware and some cool software ideas, then manage to fuck things up at every corner.

I feel glad I stuck with the PS3 Slim, rather than go for a 2nd generation "fat" PS3.

+ Reply to Thread