+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crabtree sitting out 09?

Blog Entries

Crabtree sitting out 09?

San Francisco 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree is prepared to sit out this season and re-enter the NFL draft in 2010, David Wells, Crabtree's cousin and adviser, said Thursday.

"We are prepared to do it," Wells said. "Michael just wants fair-market value. They took him with the 10th pick and you have Darrius Heyward-Bey [the seventh overall pick by the Oakland Raiders] getting $38 million? This week is crucial. Michael was one of the best players in the draft and he just wants to be paid like one of the best players. This week is very crucial."

However, Crabtree's agent told ESPN.com that no such threat has been made on his part.

Addressing the report, agent Eugene Parker told ESPN.com on Thursday afternoon: "You've known me a long time and I'm not a guy who makes threats. Nor am I a guy who negotiates in the public. I don't know where this came from but no such threat has been made."

Wells said he believes the Niners have made an offer but that it is not acceptable. Wells said Crabtree is ready to start practicing and was held out of OTAs this spring by coaches only for precautionary reasons.

Crabtree, who turns 22 next month, also missed the 49ers' offseason minicamps and their organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury but was a regular presence at team headquarters for rehabilitation and strengthening workouts.

Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns last year during his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his collegiate career with 231 receptions, 3,127 yards and 41 TDs.

Blog Entries
    It's either a bluff or stupidity, there is no other option.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Little bit of both, perhaps.

Wide receivers have been on my list of "least favorite kinds of people" for a couple years now.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    I highly doubt this is anything more than contract posturing. If he does sit out, he'll be lucky to go in the first, and probably even the second round. Next year's WR class is supposed to be strong, and he was considered a reach this year. Let's not forget that when the CBA talks go down, there's a strong lobby for a structured rookie salary. If that happens (and a CBA is signed at all lol) he would make less money as the #1 pick next year than he would sit out for this year... but he wouldn't get drafted in the first anyway.

Whether he's "negotiating" or serious, he is a pretty big tool for even going there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    I highly doubt this is anything more than contract posturing. If he does sit out, he'll be lucky to go in the first, and probably even the second round. Next year's WR class is supposed to be strong, and he was considered a reach this year. Let's not forget that when the CBA talks go down, there's a strong lobby for a structured rookie salary. If that happens (and a CBA is signed at all lol) he would make less money as the #1 pick next year than he would sit out for this year... but he wouldn't get drafted in the first anyway.

Whether he's "negotiating" or serious, he is a pretty big tool for even going there.
    s > agents

Blog Entries
    That was a good message board post right there, Ux
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    I sat here trying to find something in that post to disagree with, but I ended up kicking my cat out of frustration.

He was a reach? I thought Oakland passing on him was a big deal. He was supposed to be a top-3 talent without the injury and a top-10 with it.

Otherwise, yes, an extremely cogent post.

It's almost as if you have 2 degrees and subscribe to some very prestigious magazines, such as Harpers and Smithsonian. What color tent do you use when camping?
    _

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    When I'm camping I prefer a sniper rifle. A tent would only draw attention.

Blog Entries
    Looks like it might happen.

Maybe he'll slip far enough next year for the Ravens to draft him, lol.

Or maybe he'll just re-enter the 2011 draft (would he be able to do that?)

+ Reply to Thread