+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Livonia Walmart-- the sequel

Livonia Walmart-- the sequel

As I read this article I couldn't help but notice how the bitter, racially charged fight over the first walmart in livonia has fallen down the memory hole, at least in this particular bit of coverage. I guess maybe the economic downturn has made some people a little more pragmatic.

Livonia has landed a second Wal-Mart supercenter as plans to develop the former Livonia Mall into the Livonia Marketplace move ahead.

Wal-Mart has signed on to build a 180,000-square-foot store at the Seven Mile and Middlebelt center, said developer Daniel Stern. Wal-Mart opened a supercenter at Middlebelt and Plymouth roads in 2007.

"We were actually talking with a couple of different groups. Wal-Mart became the most logical player," Stern said. "For them, it made a lot of sense after their recent success in southern Livonia at Wonderland."

Wal-Mart plans to break ground on the store this fall with an opening planned in fall 2010, said company spokesman Nick Infante. The store will employ 300, he added.

"We are very pleased with how the community has reacted to the store," Infante said. "They have been coming out and supporting it."

Livonia officials are thrilled to have two outdated malls rejuvenated just three years and three miles apart.

"We are excited about it," said Livonia Mayor Jack Kirksey. "There are obviously mixed emotions about another big box."

And like the Wonderland Wal-Mart, the new one at the marketplace will operate 18 hours a day because of resident concerns about a 24-hour center in a residential area.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    That's right near my dad's house. That mall was a depressing ghost town, they needed to do something with it.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    I spent a lot of time at Livonia Mall as a teenager. Back then, the best places to see a movie were in the malls. The last time I went there, there was a Value City, a dollar store, and a check cashing place inside, and it was just miserable. I don't know what went wrong, but the place fell into serious disrepair over the years. I remember as a kid thinking how shiny and nice everything seemed in there.

Blog Entries
    I'm excited about this- a new place to get UM gear!
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    ^ about time

Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    I'm excited about this- a new place to get UM gear!
    CAN ALSO PURCHASE AUTHENTIC UM GEAR HERE:

+ Reply to Thread