+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire GM Joe Dumars

^seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    I'm not crazy about diffusing blame or blind faith in Joe, but for those that want him fired, who would you rather have running the team, realistically?
    Find a new slant.

If Joe knew that Okafor was available, before he signed Ben Gordon then thats a huge mistake. I like Ben Gordon a lot, but we could have trotted out Stuckey Hamilton Prince CV Okafor.
    Destiny

Well, only one person has actually said we should fire him, with everyone else saying they're just disappointed. Joe's earned the patience to see where things go. He's definitely been one of the better GMs in the league, even the last few seasons. Look at the things we complain about with him, then look at the things some other teams have to complain about. We're sitting pretty nice by comparison.
    _

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darkobetterthanmelo
    If Joe knew that Okafor was available, before he signed Ben Gordon then thats a huge mistake. I like Ben Gordon a lot, but we could have trotted out Stuckey Hamilton Prince CV Okafor.
    but...but...Okafor doesn't shoot threes!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by darkobetterthanmelo
    IMO, everyone here would love that line-up.

Which leads me to believe that when we had all our cap space getting Okafor just wasn't do-able.

Okafor would have been Joe's new Ben.

There is no way Joe doesn't call Charlotte with all kinds of deals.

No Way!
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    but...but...Okafor doesn't shoot threes!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

imagine if that is why we didn't get him

What?

It is very clear that bargains were certainly out there this season. Odom for probably just more than the MLE, LEE and Nate at anything more than a 1 year deal, CV, BG at less, Earl Watson, Marvin Williams, J.Childress, Brandon Bass, Chandler, and yes Emeka Okafor. These are all guys that were available if we had been a little more patient. This was a shortcoming of Joe D this offseason, which is weird since he is usually pretty patient with his moves.

He has drafted poorly at the top. No question about it. This season could be good, but really should not receive any verdict for a season or two.

He has made a couple crippling extensions, namely Maxiell and Rip, when perhaps leveraging them this offseason may have been far cheaper, or better yet, moving their expiring contracts if the right deal came along. Billups certainly struggled against certain PGs, but without question the team looks lost without his leadership amongst multiple coaching changes and personalities.

I personally would have moved Rip before Chauncey, like everyone else not have extended Maxiell or Rip, and without question would have waited on free agency. We all talk about how Joe D rebuilt us so fast. He should have followed his own blueprint. Use the cap space to get decent players AND picks, target players like CV at the correct price (which he did), and hired someone established to help him draft.

In the end, his tenure has been littered with bad decisions.... and many good ones. His gambles paid off, his basketball instincts and knowledge of players made him choose the correct chemistry, and he had Hammond by his side. I think he should definitely be retained since no one better would come, and he hasn't been horrible with his gambles yet. If we can't move Rip by next season and have 20M+ plugged into SG, people will call for his dismissal. Personally, I would give him 2-3 more years before firing him.

+ Reply to Thread