+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Devin Gardner

Devin Gardner

Apparently was the most impressive QB at the elite 11 camp.

The final bell has rung on the 11th edition of the Elite 11. Tyler Bray ended up winning the overall Golden Gun Award over Thursday's co-winners Nick Montana and Blake Bell.

Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Barry Every ranks the quarterbacks based on all four days of intense competition and coaching by experts in the field of developing quarterbacks, taking into account their long-term potential and ability to win football games at the highest level. These are Every's subjective opinions that will be taken into consideration for future rankings.

Ranking the Elite 11 Quarterbacks
    1. Devin Gardner
    6-4/195, Detroit Inkster
    Big, tall, strong-armed quarterback that is willing to put in the time to be the best. Gardner will eventually have the ability to take over a college game by himself using his arm and his legs, similar to guys like Jason Campbell, Vince Young and Terrelle Pryor. His potential and learning curve are just starting to increase exponentially. We could be looking at a future first-round draft pick in five years. And yes, I strongly believe he is a top100 player.

3. Robert Bolden
    6-4/195, Orchard Park (Mich.) St. Mary's
    Bolden is the other tall athlete that has the potential to one day take over a game by land or air. He does need to work on some of the finer points, like not over throwing, and putting more touch and air under his fade passes. We cannot overlook his superior arm strength and quick release that will catch defenses with their backs turned. I think he could thread a needle with the pigskin. Like Gardner, Bolden is Rivals100 worthy.

12. Joe Boisture
    6-6/202, Saline (Mich.)
    Height and accuracy are Bositure's two biggest assets at this time. It may take slightly longer for him to develop into a starter because of a slow, mechanical, wind-up delivery. He must also improve foot speed on his drops and roll outs. That being said, he definitely did one of the best jobs reading the coverages thrown at him in the camp. If his arm strength continues to improve with maturity he will be able to get by with his delivery and he could end up being the Matt Ryan of the group. Boisture's potential also makes him a Rivals250 quarterback.

I don't know why there are 12 QB's at the elite 11 camp, but MSU's was 12.

Interesting to see Rivals differing from Scout (duh), but here's what Scout reported as the awards given by the counselors. It hardly looks like Gardner was the most impressive based on these awards, since there were 5 MVP's and he wasn't one of them. Looks from the write-up that Every, who you said takes into account long-term potential, did just that and mostly that with Gardner. Apparently he thinks Gardner will improve more than the other 5 who were MVP's. Not sure how he can predict that, but that's my read.

Here were the awards given:

Golden Gun Accuracy Award: Tyler Bray
    Best Feet: Devin Gardner
    Most Likely To Play Early: Jake Heaps
    Most Upside: Tyler Bray
    Best Leader By Example: Nick Montana
    Best Leader Vocally: Jake Heaps
    Highest Football IQ: Jake Heaps
    Best In The Classroom: Devin Gardner
    Best Arm: Robert Bolden
    Most Accuracy: Chandler Whitmer
    Best In Any System: Nick Montana
    Quickest Release: Robert Bolden
    Most Improved: Nick Montana
    National Championship Winner: Jesse Scroggins

Overall MVP - Jake Heaps
    MVP Second - Tyler Bray
    MVP Third - Chandler Whitmer
    MVP Fourth - Nick Montana
    MVP Fifth - Robert Bolden
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    Best In The Classroom: Devin Gardner
    general studies

Yep, he can ace the hell out of 100 and 200 level classes.

It's a good thing he'll only be around for 3 years, because there are only so many basket weaving and golf courses available.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I think Gardner will do well. The knock against him has always been his mechanics. If he gets/has those ironed out he will be a very good QB for UM. From what I understand, he is tough as hell and has great leadership qualities. I think he comes in next year and prison rapes (he is from Inkster, you know) that little pussy-boy Taint and takes the starting QB spot from day one. However, Taint will then transfer and UM will again have QB troubles (as far as numbers).

Boisture is a different story. He and MSU have time. He will definitely redshirt next year and won`t be needed to play for probably 2-3 years. That will give him time to develop physically and benefit from good coaching. The kid has a lot of upside, but just isn`t ready yet.
    www.university.com

yea, he sounds great. slow delivery, slow feet. but he's TALL!

Much like Jethro said, it is funny how different the info is that comes out of the Elite 11. I read that Gardner finished last in the accuracy competition?

Diddy can make his comments, but the truth is...MSU will have 3 Elite 11 QBs on their roster next year. I'll put that up against any program. Its cool when your kid is one of the best at the camp like Maxwell last year, but I don't care if my kid is 1st or 12th if we are continually bringing in Elite 11 qbs.

Buk also made a fantastic point, Boisture is going to be groomed. MSU has the luxury of working with this kid for 3 years before they have to put him on the field as a junior. I'll take it.

All the luck to Gardiner, especially if he is a good kid. I'm so satisfied with the MSU situation I can wish him all the luck in the world.

+ Reply to Thread