Tay – 1m
    Stuckey – 1m
    Daye, Summers, Jarebko, Washington ~ 1.5-2m total
    Total = ~ $6 million

Needs:
    Backup PG
    Starting C
    Backup C

That’s assuming Villa can play 30mpg at PF, Max proves he can be our backup PF and Summers/Jarebko can pick up the extra PF time.

Even if the cap doesn’t go down as expected, that leaves us with under $4 million to fill those 3 holes. Not a smart plan, gentlemen.

Big “What-If”s:
    Trade Rip for an expiring – we would need SG depth (unless Stuckey splits his time, in which case we’d need to get serious about our backup PG).

Trade Prince for an expiring – we would need a starting SF. It’s highly unlikely that one of these rookies is going to step in and be our starter next year.

We wouldn’t have to worry about the traded player’s $1m increase, but the $10-14m expiring deal probably only nets us $7-8m in cap space after the cap decrease. We’re getting a starting C, backup C, backup PG, plus a starting SF or backup SG with $8?

Best Case Scenario-this offseason:
    Pistons move Rip for a defensive-minded starting C that’s got a few years on his deal.

Other (Lesser) Scenarios-this offseason:
    We move Tay for a C, we’re either starting Rip at SF or we’re trying to sign a SF with whatever cap space we have left. We’re not getting anything worth starting for $3-4 million.

We move Kwame for a C, the C would have to make under $7.6m. We’re not going to have any depth at C unless we can sign someone for the vet minimum that can still play some D. Ratliff? We could sign someone for the rest of our cap space before the trade in which case the C would have to make under $5m.

We move Max for a C, he would have to make under $8.6m. We’re going to be very thin at PF. If we used our cap space first, the C would have to make under $3.125m.
    _

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Zekyl.

Kinda depressing, but impressive.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Also, I don't see us moving one of the two bigs we have left on the roster for a different big, that doesn't balance the roster.
    Find a new slant.

It all depends on what Joe does between now and, well, when? Obviously there will be at least one big man added, but how and who and what the length of their contract is all remains to be seen.

Stay tuned...

FWIW, I think Bynum should be resigned as the backup PG. Why not? He's impressive enough at times.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Some other scenarios that could be thrown out are 2010 offseason scenarios, assuming we go into it when the contracts that we have now. Prince would be an expiring, Rip would have less left on his contract, which could make him easier to move, etc. I don't have time for that at the moment though.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    FWIW, I think Bynum should be resigned as the backup PG. Why not? He's impressive enough at times.
    Agreed. If he proves himself this year, I think we'll keep him around unless Joe wants more of a distributor as a backup or he commands too much money.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    Also, I don't see us moving one of the two bigs we have left on the roster for a different big, that doesn't balance the roster.
    Moving a big worthy of 10-15 minutes per game for a big worthy of 25-35 mpg makes it somewhat ok. The team is still screwed in the case of injury or foul trouble, but there's at least one justifying quality to it.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    After seeing what Joe did with Sheed and AI's expirings, I'm not all that excited about seeing what he does with Tay's.
    Find a new slant.

With Sheed's expiring, Joe didn't do anything. He thought Sheed had enough in the tank for another title run, I guess.

Tay's will be a different situation. He's not planning on riding Tay to a championship in 2010-2011, so he'll either see Tay as a piece of the future and extend him, he'll trade his expiring contract for what he believes is a quality piece, or he'll just let him expire and part ways. I'd say it depends on what the new guys show this year.

It would be nice to have Tay around as a leader and a mentor for Daye (who said on multiple occasions that he loves Tay's game). Having Tayshaun around for Daye to compete with and learn from is not a bad thing by any means.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    The roster is pretty thin now. I would think our best bet is to move RIP for a big and a backup wing (using our small amount of cap space left to absorb that extra contract).
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread