+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20
FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: F.A. SIGNING: Pistons strike deal with Ben Gordon

P, That's many of the posters point. We were the ones setting the market, and it is highly unlikely that many of the players we expressed even remote interest in would have made deals until we used up our room. It would have been almost IMPOSSIBLE for us to get shut out on free agents this season. I don't have a problem with what Joe D did, but I can certainly understand why others may feel that we could have waited on BG and got him for less. We'll see whether S&Ts come out of Chicago and know whether they truly are willing to add more salary.

I agree with the wait and see approach to lower the players value, but you don't want to do that. Sure you might save a couple hundred thousand dollars, but Ben Gordon isn't taking a 5-10 mil pay cut. You don't want your new free agent already disgruntled about the franchise.
    Destiny

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    A couple years back when Ben Gordon was rejecting big money by Chicago, my thought was "gee, that sounds like a pretty fair price for a Ben Gordon -- anyone who offers him anything more is overpaying".

Nothing has changed. Maybe the deal will become more interesting with the AI S+T or whatnot, but as of right now, I'm not loving it. We'll need a tall ball handler paired up with him to do PG duties, because Stuckey ain't always gonna be there. I have this vision of Ben Gordon and Will Bynum (or other backup PG sort) on the court that just isn't pretty defensively.
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 07-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    A couple years back when Ben Gordon was rejecting big money by Chicago, my thought was "gee, that sounds like a pretty fair price for a Ben Gordon -- anyone who offers him anything more is overpaying".

Some people forgot about him until that 1st round series he lost.

BBF - I disagree that we were setting the market. Posters here (generally everywhere) are under the illusion that the team with the most cap space sets the tone.

I disagree because free agents are generally "owned" by teams, even if they're not restricted. Take Gordon for example. By sticking with the Bulls or doing a sign and trade he can get higher raises and an extra year than if he just "walks".

Many guys do walk, but it's not like we can wait for weeks before we act. Look how fast all these guys are signing for the MLE. We would have still had the money to spend but there was no way of knowing who was gonna be left.

Like I said elsewhere: Let's discuss why Joe "settled" on Gorodn and Powder in the first place. Obviously there are reasons for both of them.

And re: Overpaying Gordon.

I'm reserving my final opinion on that until I see what the numbers are, if we do a sign and trade and who else we may get or ship out.

And Hermy - you don't seem outraged. Let's here it
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Blog Entries
    Iverson to the Bulls a ridiculous thought

Posted by mikemcgraw on Fri, 07/03/2009 - 15:29

If anyone was alarmed by the Internet rumor posted Friday that the Bulls and Pistons are talking about turning the Ben Gordon free-agent signing into a sign-and-trade that would send Allen Iverson to the Bulls, don’t worry.

There is no chance of that happening. In fact, a team source confirmed that the Pistons have not even asked about doing a sign-and-trade for Gordon.

One reason teams might talk about such a thing is Gordon could get a sixth year on his contract if he re-signs with the Bulls and is traded to Detroit. Most people believe the approximately five-year, $55 million deal for Gordon is already above market value, so a sixth year hardly seems necessary.

The Bulls have no interest in Iverson because their backcourt is already full with Derrick Rose, Kirk Hinrich and John Salmons. They’re also close to the luxury-tax threshold and probably have less than $2 million to add another player. The salary cap and tax threshold for next season won’t be announced until July 8.

The Bulls aren’t likely to pursue another shooting guard. If they do, it would be a low-priced free agent such as Rodney Carney or ex-Bull Thomas Gardner.
    http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2238
    Find a new slant.

GD - how "plugged in" is that guy and his "team source"?

Many sites are reporting the rumour of sign and trade.

Due to the Bulls desire to get into the 2010 free agency situation and their tax issues isn't it possible that Kwame and Iverson (signed to a 1 year deal) could be heading to Chicago for Gordon and some other big?

That could free up big bucks for the 2010 free agent class and they'd have Rose, Deng and Noah on board. Throw in the fact they're in a large media market and it's pretty attractive for free agents.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Stupid week with no signings/trades and shit. Just let 'em get to it already.

yeah the trades can't officially kick into gear until the 8th either. so hopefully things will heat up then.

because after watching shaq, jefferson, and vinsanity traded within a couple of days, things are awfully boring right now.

Geez, I forgot Shaq was traded. I can't believe that he's reached a point where that wouldn't be primary in my memory.
    STEW BEEF!

Somewhere between LA, Miami, Phoenix and Cleveland I stopped caring about Shaq

+ Reply to Thread