+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC/MMA Thread

She was in Playboy at least once, giffy.

Surely you can find the pics?
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

UFC 101 is Florian vs. Penn. Should be a decent card. Anderson Silva fights Forrest Griffin.

It's not worth 45 bucks though. Maybe 25-30.

anyone catch it? fuck it was on tv but i was out

Any new developments in MMA or does the entire game revolve around it's #1 heel, the "Next Big Thing" Brock Lesnar?

I read a blog by Paul Heyman that explained the whole MMA heel thing much better than I did. I just lost the link...

Search google for Heyman blog or something.

History Lesson: MMA is the father of pro wrestling! Back in the very early 1900's dudes used to "shoot" fight aka have real fights. 2 smart dudes eventually realised that fans wanted to see a "real" rivalry and they got together and "worked" the crowd.

The 2 smart shooters ended up having a 3 match series and naturally they got paid big money because plenty of people turned up to see the Final Showdown.

And this is why pro wrestling exists today. The smart guys realised you could "work" the crowd without killing yourself and still make big bucks.

I bet some MMA guys wish their sport was a work. I've seen some freaky fucking injuries on youtube.

The funny thing is that within the MMA community, most of the hardcore fans couldn't give s shit about Brock Lesnar. He may be the UFC champion but nobody cares lol. People love watching the exciting fighters like Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, GSP, etc. Lesnar can keep playing his little heel role all he wants because all it's gonna do is get wrestling fans to watch MMA.

UFC 102 is a ppv worth seeing. It's legend vs. legend.Couture vs. Nogueira. To analogize it, it's kinda like HBK vs. Flair. Two of the GREAT fighters of the last decade facing off. Although, I would honestly rather see Couture at light heavyweight. He would be a very good test for Anderson Silva I think because he's got the same basic style as Henderson but with better gameplans, better submissions, and more technical striking.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Finally caught the Silva / Griffin fight. Wow. Silva was literally toying with him. He had his hands down, stuck his chin out, and Grif still could not hit him. That was some Ali shit right there.

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg32086
    The funny thing is that within the MMA community, most of the hardcore fans couldn't give a shit about Brock Lesnar. He may be the UFC champion but nobody cares lol. People love watching the exciting fighters like Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, GSP, etc. Lesnar can keep playing his little heel role all he wants because all it's gonna do is get wrestling fans to watch MMA.
    Hardcore fans are not who UFC is trying to reach. They've already reached those guys and converted them. For the UFC it's all about the casual fans.

The casual fans that push UFC over 1 million PPV buys so often are not watching for sportsmanship, bland presentation or bland interviews.

The casual fan is watching to see some fucking carnage. Brock Lesnar gives it to them and then cuts a killing promo after the fact. He is the Man in MMA and he has the crowd wanting to see him get his head kicked in. He's the premier attraction in the UFC even if Silva, Machida, Penn and GSP are "better".

It doesn't really matter who is the "better" fighter - it's about making money! Brock wants to make a lot of coin and so does Dana White. Right now WWE is losing fans left and right and all their financial reports point to a massive downturn. But the UFC keeps rolling right along, as if the economy is thriving.

Like it or not Brock Lesnar as UFC Champion gets UFC a lot of publicity. The fact he's a former WWE Champ helps. His college resume helps. The way he works helps.

In short - Brock Lesnar is THE attraction in MMA right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other fighters started to cut heel promos on their opponents. It's the way to go. People will pay money hoping to see you get your ass kicked.

Actually, the whole MMA world thinks Lesnar is a fucking joke. All Brock Lesnar has done for MMA has brought the wrestling world's biggest douche bags to bars, MMA events, and MMA gyms. These are the fans Dana White and the UFC didn't want to attract. MMA companies like the UFC don't want aren't trying to attract the occasional wrestling fan who expects to see a stone cold stunner or a people's elbow inside the cage. They want to be as unassociated with "professional wrestling" as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by espn.com
    "I try not to schedule fights the week I'll be on my period. Making weight is hard enough and during our period, we may retain around seven pounds of water weight. Plus bruises hurt more, you're bloated and cramping and emotionally, it's tougher to battle through the training." -- Gina Carano to lucky ESPN The Magazine journalist Ryan Hockensmith.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...me=mma#red_ink

LOL.

+ Reply to Thread