View Poll Results: Who would you most like to see as the next coach of the Pistons?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avery Johnson

3 11.11%
  • Doug Collins

2 7.41%
  • Sam Mitchell

0 0%
  • Tom Izzo

1 3.70%
  • Bill Laimbeer

9 33.33%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

11 40.74%
  • Someone else

1 3.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 31
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Michael Curry Firing Thread

I would like Avery. He may have been overbearing, but he got a lot more out of the Mavs than anybody else did. And guys learn and get better. After all, Belichick was the HC in Cleveland before he got to New England, and he stunk there. Good thing for the Patriots they gave him a second chance. Could be the same with Avery. I think he's a good coach for a young team, and the Pistons will be.

best....offseason....ever.

Jeff VanGundy is the best fit for what this team needs currently and will likely need after free agency and trades: defense. I think we'll probably have more than enough scoring threats if we actually run an offense, and JVG would be respected by Rip.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

Blog Entries
    No to Mitchell.

Yeah, Mitchell wasn't any more of a player's coach.

Dave Cowens wouldn't surprise me. The best overall fit with our personnel would be Averry Johnson.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Guys, I want you all to know - no matter what happens, Michael Curry will not be the coach of the Detroit Pistons next season, and so you should punch me in the dick if you hear me complain about whatever happens.

I don't know why anyone would say that everyone was against JVG. I remember mentioning him and having quite a few people say it was a good idea a few months ago. He's a solid coach that stresses defense. He doesn't have much of an offensive side to his game planning, but he's a coach that can come in and command some respect while getting guys playing with intensity. He's kind of like a less abbrasive Carlisle.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    The best overall fit with our personnel would be Averry Johnson.
    Why?

Not disagreeing, just curious as to why you feel that way?
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    Why?

Not disagreeing, just curious as to why you feel that way?

Because Avery is the ISO-king. He maximizes chances for his best players to get 1-on-1 opportunities with an offense that emphasizes spacing, and compensates for the lack of a pure PG. His Dallas teams were damn near impossible to pressure, and they started Jason Terry at the 1.

If we do deal Rip and sign Gordon, it'd be a damn near perfect match.

Does Avery have a system he likes to run? offense or defense? I dont really recall. I think it's important for our next coach to be someone who has a clearly defined system, and is good at executing it. No more middle of the road jump shooting offenses. One reason I like JVG is he is very clearly a defensive-minded coach.

+ Reply to Thread