I'm questioning the idea of us trying to get Max in on a big trade just to dump him, which is what's been tossed around quite a bit this offseason. Hear me out:

Max didn't have a defined role last year, got yanked in and out of lineups, and never seemed to get settled.

This year, Amir, Sheed and potentially McDyess and Kwame are gone. Max is the primary backup at PF and knows he isn't going to be starting, so he has a set role and will hopefully get consistent minutes. Maybe this gives him a chance to start playing like he did when he earned the big contract we all want moved. Give him a consistent 18-20mpg and see what he can do. He's a high energy guy, a hard worker and he always gives his best effort. Those are the kind of guys you want coing off your bench as the 7th/8th man.

He got his fg% up to 57.5% last year and he hits the offensive boards hard (more offensive than defensive boards last year). His per36 numbers all got slightly worse last year, but that could be attributed to his confidence levels and inconsistent playing time. I think that if we consistently gave him 18-20 minutes a game, he could give us 8 points, 6 boards, and a block and his FT% would get back above 60%. Once he sets himself with consistent play, he can earn the 20-23 minutes a game that we'd need and we'd have a solid backup PF.

He's still young, he has a chance at consistent playing time without the Amir project around, and he's a solid character guy that doesn't complain and brings a 'wont back down' attitude that we lack.

Is it worth giving him a shot at that role?