+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do we still want to deal Max?

Do we still want to deal Max?

I'm questioning the idea of us trying to get Max in on a big trade just to dump him, which is what's been tossed around quite a bit this offseason. Hear me out:

Max didn't have a defined role last year, got yanked in and out of lineups, and never seemed to get settled.

This year, Amir, Sheed and potentially McDyess and Kwame are gone. Max is the primary backup at PF and knows he isn't going to be starting, so he has a set role and will hopefully get consistent minutes. Maybe this gives him a chance to start playing like he did when he earned the big contract we all want moved. Give him a consistent 18-20mpg and see what he can do. He's a high energy guy, a hard worker and he always gives his best effort. Those are the kind of guys you want coing off your bench as the 7th/8th man.

He got his fg% up to 57.5% last year and he hits the offensive boards hard (more offensive than defensive boards last year). His per36 numbers all got slightly worse last year, but that could be attributed to his confidence levels and inconsistent playing time. I think that if we consistently gave him 18-20 minutes a game, he could give us 8 points, 6 boards, and a block and his FT% would get back above 60%. Once he sets himself with consistent play, he can earn the 20-23 minutes a game that we'd need and we'd have a solid backup PF.

He's still young, he has a chance at consistent playing time without the Amir project around, and he's a solid character guy that doesn't complain and brings a 'wont back down' attitude that we lack.

Is it worth giving him a shot at that role?
    _

I would never want to dump Max. he has real value as a 6th man. However, if we can get trade value for him, then go for it.

I like Max but I am afraid that he simply won't get any better. He's solid right now but I'd rather use the money on another player with more upside. I guess that I would be willing to dump him for very little when I consider that there are a ton of players that I would rather have for $5 mil a year. Birdman, Bass, CV, all come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I would never want to dump Max. he has real value as a 6th man. However, if we can get trade value for him, then go for it.
    I agree. He's not a guy you simply want to jettison. But if keeping his contract prevents us from getting a better option there I will move him.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I thought he played shitty last year, I'd dump his deal if I could.

Who DIDNT play shitty last year?

Well, Ok, then he played super shitty.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Max before the All-Star break was crap, and I was really disappointed. Max after the All-Star break was "ok" -- roughly as good as he was in 2008, but certainly not any better. I'm not sure if he's worth the full-MLE contract we have him signed to if he doesn't improve over 2008. I wonder what the fuck he's been doing for the past two months to improve his game.

Petitioning for a new coach?
    _

According to hoopshype, Maxy is signed at 5 mill per with no raises. In spite of the length of the contract, I wouldn't really say that is bad at all considering what PFs go for. I wonder what the average salary is for a backup PF. I would think he is at least comparable. With no raises, that seems to be a pretty decent salary.

+ Reply to Thread