+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: June 9 MLB draft

I went to the hill and played on means stamping in 1984. Guys on our team that were drafted were Billy st. peter by the Cubs. Dan Snover by the braves. John McIntyre by the tigers. John Vanderwal by the pirates he was our pickup player and made it to the pros. Jeff bradley was also drafted by the tigers. This was off the team I played on. Steve Elmer would have been drafted but blew out his rotater cuff his during his last college game. Chris Sarmiento was drafted in the 2nd out of Mcarther high school but went to miami to be the closer and blew his arm out. Threw 92-94 with a nasty slider. Played with Schaffs dad also. He was and still is a great bowler.

I struck out a guy in JV ball who got drafted by the Astros.

My high school's field, which I never even watched a game on, was named after a guy who pitched for the Braves.
    STEW BEEF!

Strasburg is worth the $$$, that guy is lights out.
    Destiny

It sounds like the Tigers might get a chance to deal with Boras after all. I think the kids name is Turner maybe, but apparently he is the rumored pick at #9 and is a H.S. right hander that the Tigers really like.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    From BP:

9. Detroit Tigers: Nobody values velocity more than Detroit's scouting director, David Chadd, and nobody in this draft other than Stephen Strasburg throws as hard as Scheppers does. His medical history is cause for concern, but his price should be far more reasonable than the two best high school arms still on the board at this point, Matt Purke and Jacob Turner.
    Pick: Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul Saints
    Massive Helium Watch: Reymond Fuentes, OF. The top talent in Puerto Rico has been in the US this week, and his private workouts have been nothing short of stunning. He's a 70-plus runner with impressive bat speed and some power, and the teams that like him think he could develop into a true power/speed threat in center field. He wasn't even in my Top 50 on Saturday, but in the last 24 hours he's been attached to teams as high as Detroit at #9 (where his workout for them bordered on legendary), to plenty of teams picking in the 20s. Most likely to take a shot at him? The Astros at 21, the Angels with one of their picks at 24 and 25, or the Rays at 30.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Why not gun for that outfielder? The corner outfield spots are looking a little sketchy these days.

^^I am a big fan of the defense Anderson and Thomas bring out there. We also have Wilkin Ramirez and Brent Clevlen, who show promise from both sides of the plate.

I half expected us to take Matzek...

matzek wanted more than porcello got. Plus he wont be ready for 3 or 4 years. I would have took him though. Lefty at 95 2 different curves and a change. Poise is nowhere near porcello.

Tigers nab prep workhorse Turner
    Missouri right-hander has parallels to Porcello

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

The Tigers went back to the high school pitching ranks for their first pick in the First-Year Player Draft, selecting right-hander Jacob Turner out of Westminster Christian Academy in St. Louis with the ninth overall pick.

Turner, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound workhorse pitcher, fits the profile of the kind of pitcher Detroit covets. His power arm consistently fires fastballs in the mid- to upper-90s, while he has added a curveball and changeup to his arsenal in the last couple years.

That power arsenal produced an impressive round of statistics during his high school career, starting with a 23-5 record and a 1.24 ERA entering late May. That included a 7-1 record and 0.40 ERA at one point last month, scattering 19 hits over 52 innings with eight walks and 105 strikeouts. Among the individual games was a one-hit, 18-strikeout performance.

Turner caught the Tigers' attention in the spring and maintained it through much of the high school season. While Detroit scouted plenty of talent in preparation for the big pick, Turner always seemed to stay at or near the top of the list.

The biggest risk in the First-Year Player Draft used to be the high school right-hander, whether for risk of injury or for the uncertainty of development. The Tigers went against that trend by drafting Rick Porcello in the first round two years ago, a move that paid off big when he cracked the Tigers rotation this spring at age 20. Detroit is clearly hoping to repeat history.

Like Porcello two years ago, Turner has committed to pitch collegiately at North Carolina, and he has retained the services of super agent Scott Boras as his adviser. Whether he follows through on that remains to be seen. The Tigers will have until Aug. 17 to sign him or risk losing him.

+ Reply to Thread