+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Draft pick - Follett

Draft pick - Follett

Zack Follett to NFL teams who passed him over: 'They're gonna pay for it'

Posted by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com April 28, 2009 15:57PM

Zack Follett's used to STOPPING running backs, not emulating them.
    The linebacker sounds like Minnesota Vikings rusher Adrian Peterson, though, when talking about punishing teams that passed him up in the NFL draft.
    The Daily Californian, April 27: "They're gonna pay for it," says Follett. "I'm gonna go out there and hit their players and take them out of the game.
    "But I'm excited. They're going to give me a good shot over at the Lions. They're the ones who put their neck out and drafted me."
    It's good to have someone who wants to prove something. And furthermore embraces the opportunity as a challenge to overcome rather than a negative experience.
    "I try my best to keep my head up and stuff like that," he says. "But it's bred in me. You guys kinda see how I play. When I see somebody with the ball, if I get a chance to hit somebody as hard as I can, I'm gonna do it."

Things are a little different now in Detroit, though. Follett is going to be part of a massive rebuilding project after the Lions went 0-16 last season. As of Sunday evening, he hasn't spoken with anyone enough to get a clear sense of where he fits into Detroit's scheme right now. His master plan for making the Lions' roster is to "go out on kickoff and blow some guys up" -- let the pads do the talking, the same way he got himself noticed a few years ago as the new kid in the Cal program. "You've just got to be on the field to make a play," he says. "I'm gonna find a way to get on the field whether I'm starting or I'm on special teams. I'm gonna keep flying around trying to make a name for myself."
    Before Follett was taken by the Lions, though, other teams were showing interest.
    Cal Bears Examiner, April 27: "I had kinda settled for free agency because a lot of teams were calling me about signing with them as a free agent," Follett said. "I was on the phone with the Raiders when the Lions called. They didn't want me to take the call (from Detroit) but I did."
    And when Follett arrives in Detroit, there will be a familiar face to greet him. Lions punter Nick Harris went to Cal, and has worked with the linebacker in the offseason.
    "I've known Nick Harris since I was a little kid and I spend a lot of time with him in the offseason. He's a good Christian dude who's helped raise me in my faith. God's going to put me where he wants me and he put me there with Nick. I'm pretty excited about that."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    That's one ill-tempered Christian, right there.
    Find a new slant.

He's going to be like a missile on special teams out there. Even if the guy never plays a down on defense it's worth the pick if you get a great special teams player.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

"I had kinda settled for free agency because a lot of teams were calling me about signing with them as a free agent," Follett said. "I was on the phone with the Raiders when the Lions called. They didn't want me to take the call (from Detroit) but I did."
    it's like the Raiders are actually trying to make us feel better about the Lions

Blog Entries
    "No, don't take that call!!"

It's like the Raiders thought that the Lions needed to talk to him on the phone in order to draft him.
    Find a new slant.

^ Exactly. Its not recruiting here peeps. Its drafting.

I think Follett is gonna be in this league for awhile. He's a big hitter and I think if he dedicates himself to the weight room, he could make himself into a solid middle linebacker. I've seen him play quite a bit over the past few seasons and he's definitely a reason for guys to not want to run over the middle. He kinda reminds me of a linebacker version of Bernard Pollard.

He seems to fit in with Delmas and Levy. Pursue and hit. I guess Levy is more of a tackler though.

+ Reply to Thread