+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 70
FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistons free agency rumors/media speculation (Offseason 2009)

I could give you a list of a dozen different backup centers/PFs that played their asses off over a 2-month playoff run during a contract year and were never heard from again after getting that big payday.

Jerome James, Jim McIlvane, Ronny Turiaf, Jon Koncak, Brian Williams, Austin Croshere and Nazr Mohammed, just to name a handful.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-04-2009 at 12:51 PM.

LOL KStat, that's how our championship team was built. Ben Wallace and especially Billups, who was a classic playoff performer.

In the end, it is at least a decent gamble to have a big making the MLE even if they suck, since they at least have some value. Dallas paying the MLE for someone we know is at least a decent backup C is not a bad gamble.

Bigs just cost more. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a good big off their rookie contract who isn't paid more than the MLE, especially a C.

really? We signed Ben Wallace because of a 2-month playoff performance in a backup role?

Billups was a "classic playoff performer" before we signed him? Where do you get this shit?

In the end, it is at least a decent gamble to have a big making the MLE even if they suck, since they at least have some value. Dallas paying the MLE for someone we know is at least a decent backup C is not a bad gamble.
    Yeah, because we all look back on the Nazr Mohammed signing with such fond memories....

yeah, Dumars signed him to a long-term contract and handed him the keys to the team because of 6 career playoff games. It had nothing at all to do with the fact he started 54 games that year and had a very solid season.

Billups wasn't some backup role player that came out of nowhere.

1. I was talking about backups.
    2. I was talking about bigs.

Try fitting into the parameters of the discussion, please.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Jerome James never EVER played his ass off -- his big ass is evidence of that. He got bucks because Isiah was stupid. He thought that Jerome James putting up good numbers in a playoff series against a Brad Miller who was hopping on one toenail was an MLE gamble. The only thing Jerome James is good at is winning the opening tap.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nt-little-nate

Glen Davis: Big Baby would likely be gone from Boston should they sign Rasheed. The Pistons are a likely replacement.
    Again, I would be happy to have him for what little cap space we have left. I just don't want to risk a lot of cash on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    Jerome James never EVER played his ass off -- his big ass is evidence of that. He got bucks because Isiah was stupid. He thought that Jerome James putting up good numbers in a playoff series against a Brad Miller who was hopping on one toenail was an MLE gamble. The only thing Jerome James is good at is winning the opening tap.

Jerome James followed that up by lighting up tim duncan a couple times in the next round. Hard to argue that wasn't the best month of basketball in his lifetime.

i'd take big baby in a heartbeat. i think the kid has 'it' and can be a very good player. at the least, he's a very solid capable player who brings a physicality we could really use. and he's a skilled player too- not just a big brute.

we'd be very lucky to get him IMO. he's ripe for a breakout in the right situation.

Of course, signing him would mean Maxiell is probably gone. No room on the bench for both of them.

sign Davis, and trade Max/Kwame for Chandler, and I think you've got the makings of a solid frontline, maybe one more cheap big. You wouldn't even have to deal rip.

+ Reply to Thread