+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks Joe Dumars.....

It was certainly possible. Stupid, but possible.

Sheed was a $19 million expiring contract. he made almost as much in 2004 as Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun and Ben combined. Memo was a restricted free agent (that we could not go over the cap to re-sign).

Had we cut sheed loose, we would have easily been able to match Utah's offer sheet for Memo and retain him. Joe actually cut Memo loose knowing he would not let go of Sheed, as a favor, allowing him to join Utah immediately.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Note that we wouldn't have had the MLE had we signed Memo. So, we probably wouldn't have been able to sign Dice. We would have likely kept Corliss as 6th man instead of trading him (which would've actually worked out owing to new rules, but no one could've known that). Not signing Sheed (at least as part of a S+T) would've been a big-time hit to the team, even if Memo were as good as Sheed.

I'm sure we're all happy we kept Sheed.

I believe people assumed Chris was wring. He was right!

Let's all move on and focus on our stellar team.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

In fairness, this would probably be a lot different discussion if we hadn't choked against the Spurs. We should have won another title, which I am sure Joe knows as well. I can't put the fact that we blew a couple more chances on Dumars.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    I believe people assumed Chris was wring. He was right!
    At any time Joe could buy out the entire team. So it's always POSSIBLE to sign ANYONE.

Doesn't make Chris right.
    STEW BEEF!

a buyout wouldnt have been necessary in that instance. Sheed's contract had expired, but he still had a $19 million cap hold on the Pistons because they had his bird rights. All Joe would have to do would be renounce Sheed's rights and he would have had the cap space to re-sign memo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    Hermy: WTF? You can't be serious?

Out of that entire post you're bitching about me throwing out $9 million as a figure?

Would you be happier if I said $10 mil?

I'm under no obligation to educate people. I type what I type and if you, Fool or someone else don't like it then that's awesome.

If you felt that the signings of Nova and BG would ruin the franchise then you had every right to express that at the time.

You also have every right to express that feeling now, and if you so desire you also have the right to post any alternative options Joe should or could have looked into.

You also have the right to ignore any post or poster you deem "unworthy".

As for the "contribute better" line: I contributed some of my hard earned for the site. Not many people have. So I feel I have contributed "better" than most.

If you don't agree with that I don't give a fuck

BTW, since you are not a NBA GM, not a NBA Coach, (likely) not an NBA player how are you qualified to comment on the signings of Nova and BG?
    I state my opinions as opinions. Others state theirs as fact.

Yes, I agree with that Kstat (and we've touched on it multiple times in the discussion).

My point was that the argument was never what was "possible" for Dumars to do because in the end any GM can theoretically buy out any contract and reduce the debt burden on the team's salary cap.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    It was certainly possible. Stupid, but possible.

Sheed was a $19 million expiring contract. he made almost as much in 2004 as Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun and Ben combined. Memo was a restricted free agent (that we could not go over the cap to re-sign).

Had we cut sheed loose, we would have easily been able to match Utah's offer sheet for Memo and retain him. Joe actually cut Memo loose knowing he would not let go of Sheed, as a favor, allowing him to join Utah immediately.
    If I remember correctly, letting Sheed go would have left us with around 8 Million in caproom. It was gonna be really close as to whether we'd have enough to match an offer for Memo.(Especially since Utah had loads of caproom and could have conceivably upped their offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I do so love a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    People love train wrecks.

Memo wasn't getting off the pines cause LB didn't like his defense

+ Reply to Thread