3 23.08%
  • F

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grade the Lions Draft

Grade the Lions Draft

not sure if im stepping on motown's toes, but deserves a thread. how did the lions do, overall?

Not public?

we werent going to fix all our problems this draft no matter what. thats why i hate reading complaints about how we drafted the worng position here or there. lets start out with getting quality players and then fill in the holes. thats how i see it, anyway.

from my extensive research, i think the lions did a pretty good job of doing that. obviously, stafford makes or breaks this draft for us, but i think we may have landed some other guys who are either very talented or maybe atleast have a chance at being players for us (deep in the draft guys).

i gave us a B. i think only one or two picks didnt look like great value (really, just one). i would have built a crazy d, but i understand why they chose offense. i think its our best draft in a while, which is saying almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    Not public?
    huh?

The voting isn't public. Its just more fun to see who voted for what and then jump all over them for their vote.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    we werent going to fix all our problems this draft no matter what. thats why i hate reading complaints about how we drafted the worng position here or there. lets start out with getting quality players and then fill in the holes. thats how i see it, anyway.

from my extensive research, i think the lions did a pretty good job of doing that. obviously, stafford makes or breaks this draft for us, but i think we may have landed some other guys who are either very talented or maybe atleast have a chance at being players for us (deep in the draft guys).

i gave us a B. i think only one or two picks didnt look like great value (really, just one). i would have built a crazy d, but i understand why they chose offense. i think its our best draft in a while, which is saying almost nothing.
    I understand that thinking but disagree. I think that the Lion's Mgmt will make or break Stafford.

If we make sure the running game is poppin and the line can protect him and we have weapons (WRs), etc, Staff WILL succeed. Its up to the coaches now, to develop these young guys. They have to come with a scheme and put them in a position to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    not sure if im stepping on motown's toes, but deserves a thread. how did the lions do, overall?
    You're not stepping on my toes - I'm not even one of the NFL elite in here. I'm glad someone else created this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

I would have given it a higher grade, but the Lions didn't even stick with their plan. They stated that they wanted to take the best player available, and they did that with Stafford, Pettigrew and Delmas. When the second day rolled around, they started selecting a bunch of players that could have been selected later in the draft. It seemed like they were doing the old dart board technique.

I wasn't happy with any of the picks. If they would have picked 7 defensive players, I would have been fine with that. Also, the Lions realistically could have gotten 4 starters out of this draft, and they got maybe two. That's pathetic for an 0-16 team.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Not that I really care what Kiper thinks, but his grade:

Detroit Lions: GRADE: B-
    Matthew Stafford was what this team needed, but fellow first-rounder Brandon Pettigrew was a reach at No. 21. Third-round pick DeAndre Levy was a little bit of a reach, but a good pick. Selecting Derrick Williams in the third round was a good move. The best late-round pick for this team was seventh-rounder Zach Follett out of California. The Lions should've gotten a left tackle at some point since that is an obvious need right now, particularly with their current quarterback situation.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I gave it a C because it wasn't horrible but I really don't like it. Drafting the best player available because you have a lot of needs is nice and all, but you have to give some priority to needs. Picking a safety isn't going to protect other players. The trenches are the most important spot and they were ignored for far too much of the draft.

Then again, the last draft I hated produced the best player they have on defense.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

+ Reply to Thread