• C

3 15.79%
  • D

5 26.32%
  • F

2 10.53%
  • I'm not sure Joe knows how to get there from here

7 36.84%
  • Joe has a handle on things. In Joe we trust.

7 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: End of Season grade: Joe Dumars

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    Quote Originally Posted by micknugget
    I just don't see how anyone can give Joe D a grade higher than a C. The only things he did that could even be considered good was to get cap space (by giving away one of our best players for too cheap) and extending Rip (debateable). He deserves ZERO credit for getting Dice back because his dumb a$$ shouldn't have traded our best big man in the first place.

He did zip in the off-season other than Kwame.

He totally f&%ked up in the draft.

He overpaid Maxiell.

He picked the shittiest coach to ever sit on a bench in the NBA and then even worse, didn't fire him.

How is any of that an above average? How can anyone say "he's rebuilding" since we have almost the identical team as last season?

This is going to be an interesting off season and I hope that Joe can redeem himself.
    co signed

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    D-

trading Chauncey was a mistake, he was clearly our most important player, we lost more than a top 5 PG, his leadership can't be replaced easily, even if we get a better frontcourt this summer, this team has no leader....he was our 'star' player, he was the brain of the team, hit the clutch shots, but also was the guy who told the other guys what to do...

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Remember, our "top 5" PG wasn't better than Jason Williams, Boobie Gibson, and Rajon Rondo in the past 3 ECFs. PG was a matchup we should have won versus all those teams over the course of 6 games, and Chauncey played to a draw.

A draw is being nice.
    STEW BEEF!

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Quote Originally Posted by micknugget
    I just don't see how anyone can give Joe D a grade higher than a C. The only things he did that could even be considered good was to get cap space (by giving away one of our best players for too cheap) and extending Rip (debateable). He deserves ZERO credit for getting Dice back because his dumb a$$ shouldn't have traded our best big man in the first place.

He did zip in the off-season other than Kwame.

He totally f&%ked up in the draft.

He overpaid Maxiell.

He picked the shittiest coach to ever sit on a bench in the NBA and then even worse, didn't fire him.

How is any of that an above average? How can anyone say "he's rebuilding" since we have almost the identical team as last season?

This is going to be an interesting off season and I hope that Joe can redeem himself.
    ^ Good post. You've made me re-evaluate my opinion of Joe this year. Joe's gotten a lot of criticism lately for making "bad moves," but honestly my feeling is that he hasn't done much of anything at all, and the few things he has done were more bad than good.

I'm not sure this is the right way to look at things, but for the first time I'm starting to see how Joe Dumars could be perceived as being very reactive, instead of proactive. Repeatedly, over and over again, some situation with the team degrades to the point where it is simply unacceptable, and then Joe responds by making the crudest possible decision, based on convenience.

Need to trade Chauncey, and Denver won't go for it? Toss in McDyess.
    No coach available? The guys seem to like Michael Curry.
    Why do I need to obtain a 3? Tayshaun's doing alright.

And as time goes by, and the situation at 4-5 is looking worse and worse, Joe seems like he wants to wait until Rasheed is gone for good and then scramble to find himself another 3rd-rate big man. I hope I'm wrong.

McDyess was included in the trade to make the salaries match. Denver's decision to cut Dice was likely prearranged.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    It wasn't like Chauncey didn't have good games, but he should have had more good games against non-elite players than he did. When you can't crack 10 points against Rondo in half your games, when you let Boobie off the bench be the bigtime hero twice, when you let Jason Williams and his no-cartilage knees outwork you... I can see where Dumars was coming from in trading him.

As far as C goes, remember that our current starting C was an All-Star (in a weak conference) at that position as recently as last year. The Lakers and Nets are going ga-ga over young Cs who are getting 13/8, but Sheed is the suck for going 12/7. That's not an easy problem to solve. The PF situation, and in general the situation where we have oodles of natural SGs and PFs but only one PG/SF/C is a different story.
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 04-20-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Yeah, let's not pretend Billups played well in the ECF the last few seasons.

Besides, we weren't winning the title as currently constructed so Joe moved a piece. Does it suck that Billups was moved? Yeah, every now and then we're gnna think it's was the dumbest fucking move ever.

But (depending on free agency and draft) that deal could be the single best thing Joe has ever done. For all we know it could be the move that begins a sequence of events that leads to us winning 15 titles in a row!

Who the fuck knows what will happen?

As Van Halen once said "Right now, youth is king" and we were not getting any younger. The Billups trade opens up so many options for Joe. I'll wait until he has a chance to use those options before blasting him.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

It will be interesting to see if the "put a big defender on Chauncey and watch him disappear" weakness gets exploited with denver.

Chauncey was supposed to be the motivator here, perhaps they have enough clowns high on the playoffs there to motivate him.
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread