+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Greg Paulus to Michigan?

Greg Paulus to Michigan?

Sources: Paulus may play football at Michigan
    Jeff Goodman
    Fox Sports

The Green Bay Packers aren't the only ones who are interested in Greg Paulus.

According to sources close to the situation, the former Duke point guard was in Ann Arbor on Tuesday meeting with Michigan football coach Rich Rodriguez about the possibility of playing this season for the Wolverines.

The 6-foot-1 Paulus, who was the Gatorade National Player of the Year as a standout quarterback at Christian Brothers Academy in New York, has one year of eligibility left for football after playing four years of basketball at Duke.

He watched Michigan practice Tuesday afternoon and could fit in with Rodriguez's spread offense. The Wolverines don't have a clear-cut starting quarterback, and Paulus could come in and play immediately.

Two Michigan freshmen, Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson, will likely compete with Nick Sheridan for the starting spot. Sheridan, however, has a small fracture in his lower right leg. Rodriguez said that Sheridan's injury won't require surgery, but he should be out two to three more weeks.

Sources also told FOXSports.com that Paulus, who worked out last Thursday for the Packers in Durham, N.C., has been contacted by a half-dozen NFL teams and several other college programs.

Paulus, 22, started three seasons for Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski but came off the bench this season. Coming out of high school, he was recruited by numerous big-time football programs, and schools such as Notre Dame would have allowed him to play both sports.

Paulus, however, has not played football since graduating high school, when he threw for 11,763 yards and 152 touchdowns in 45 career games and led CBA to a 42-3 record in four seasons. His younger brother, Mike, is a reserve quarterback at North Carolina.

Paulus, according to one source, is still exploring the possibility of continuing his basketball career but was caught off-guard when a Packers scout contacted him a couple weeks ago after the Blue Devils' season ended with a loss to Villanova in the Sweet 16.
    There are a ton of eligibility questions with this. Also, if he already talked to the Packers that might rule him out too. But I'd take him. Competition is always a good thing.

There are actually no eligibility questions at all Wizzle. He is already set to go and has been cleared by a number of different colleges and is visiting the Packers will in no way harm his amateur status. Basically the decision will come down to whether he wants to go to college for a year and get a little experience or attempt to get drafted to the NFL. Sounds like there are at least 15 colleges that would like him and 5 or 6 NFL teams that would like to work him out.

Why did he pick basketball?
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Why did he pick basketball?
    I read an article where he said he just always wanted to be a college point guard. He has something like 5 older brothers and they were all D-1 QB's and I wonder if he just wanted to buck the trend and go his own way and make his own name. I'm really surprised he didn't try to play both in college and be more like the amazing Ronald Curry or the god-like Matt Trannon.

Blog Entries
    This kid is sure getting his 15 minutes out of this.
    Find a new slant.

Michigan has nothing to lose here. They have available scholarships so they could take on anyone. The fact that he only has one season is an added bonus because that means the scholarship would be available again next season.
    Best case scenario - he's amazing and has all the tools physically and mentally to not only lead the team but be a huge help to younger QB's.
    Worst case scenario - he doesn't play much, if at all, and was a wasted scholarship. From what I hear about the way he acted toward younger players at Duke, he would still be a great asset even if he didn't get the starting job.

He has a lot to lose, however. If an NFL team is willing to sign him and he turns it down, then ends up not playing and actually hurting his chances for next season, he'll be screwed. He could help himself by going this route, but he's putting a bit on the line as well.

All the attention would be good for UM - even though they don't really need it as much as some schools. This wouldn't be like Isiah Thomas coaching FIU - a school many people hadn't heard of.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Done deal.........Paulus to Michigan to backup Tate and Denard.

got a source? Everything I'm seeing says he is still gathering information and hasn't decided what to do yet.
    Last edited by Wizzle; 04-16-2009 at 03:33 PM.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizzle
    got a source? Everything I'm seeing says he is still gathering information and hasn't decided what to do yet.
    He was just on around the horn saying he had no idea still, maybe 10 minutes ago.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

I'm really excited to see bukdow's take on this.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

+ Reply to Thread