+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: TIGERS RELEASE SHEFFIELD - Mets to sign him

I'm surprised but not shocked. They must have thought he was going to have another year batting closer to .250 than .300.

I'm not sure it has a big impact on the season anyway. yes, we went through stretches of bad offense, but the Tiger's success this year will be based on the pitching. They have a good enough offense (Sheff or no Sheff) to win if the pitching is good.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I have a random question........

If we "hypothetically" signed Barry Bonds would you bat him in front of Cabrera or behind Cabrera and why?

Towards the bottom of the order because he's not that good anymore.

Is he really any better than Thames at this point?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Sheffield might have trouble finding work
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry
    You would assume that someone who has a baseball card that looks like Gary Sheffield's would have more job opportunities. The slugger has 499 career homers, 2,615 hits and 1,633 RBIs, and even in what was an off year for him in 2008, he mashed 19 homers in 418 at-bats.
    And when Sheffield was asked by a reporter in Lakeland, Fla., on Tuesday morning about whether he intended to retire, he responded: "It ain't close." As in, he is sure he can play.
    But even after he clears waivers, as expected, and even though any interested suitor would have to pay him only a minimum salary of $400,000, he might have few offers -- if any.
    "He has definitely lost bat speed," said one talent evaluator who saw him this spring. "He's missing pitches that he would've crushed just a couple of years ago."
    It hurts Sheffield, too, that he is now perceived to be best-suited as a designated hitter. "He has to be an AL guy now," a general manager said on Tuesday morning. "He can't play in the outfield on a regular basis anymore."
    Sheffield indicated to reporters that his preference would be to play with the Rays, but Tampa Bay already has invested in a right-handed-hitting DH type, in Pat Burrell.
    The Red Sox are locked in at DH and left field with David Ortiz and Jason Bay. The Yankees will have no interest, after the acrimonious split between the team and Sheffield a couple of years ago. Billy Butler might get a lot of DH at-bats for the Royals, and he's having a great spring. The Mariners already have a DH/corner outfield veteran in Ken Griffey Jr. The Indians are committed to Travis Hafner at DH, and the White Sox have Jim Thome, at a time when they're trying to get younger. Sources indicate that the Jays and the Rangers and the Athletics will likely pass. The Twins are already coping with a glut of outfielders and designated hitters, as are the Angels, who will have difficulty finding enough playing time for Gary Matthews Jr. at designated hitter or in the outfield.
    The Orioles might conceivably have some at-bats for Sheffield, but keep in mind that this is a team that is trying to get younger and decided to not bring back Kevin Millar.
    Sheffield's reputation as a tempestuous clubhouse entity is not going to help him in his job search, either. The perception of the slugger is that if he's not happy -- about his playing time, about how he's being handled -- he will become intent on being a distraction.
    He is not in a position to do that anymore if he wants to continue his career. At age 40, Sheffield is no longer an elite player, and his next team will not feel obligated to try to make it work with him because of his contract.
    The fact that he's one home run away from 500 might make him a draw for some team. Some team could sign him, creating an opportunity for him to reach that benchmark, generating interest at a time when a lot of teams are struggling to sell tickets.
    But there is another slugger close to Sheffield in age and accomplishment, someone who might be able to hammer left-handed pitching. But that player -- Frank Thomas -- is still without a job. Numbers on the back of a baseball card don't always translate into employment.

Blog Entries
    He might have to sit and wait for one of those guys to get hurt.
    Find a new slant.

re: Bonds

We should have enough 'affense' on the team without adding a total douche nozzle like Bonds.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    re: Bonds

We should have enough 'affense' on the team without adding a total douche nozzle like Bonds.
    LOVE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Is he really any better than Thames at this point?
    From a pure power stand point, probably not.

What makes Barry Bonds, Adam Dunn, and even Gary Sheffield for that matter, a better player than Thames is that those three guys can draw walks and will have an .OBP near or over 400. (Bonds OBP was almost .500 his last season)

Marcus Thames will be lucky to have an OBP over 300. In 2006 he had a .333 OBP while playing some-what fulltime DH, but we'll see...

But all those guys hit in the 3-5 spots, right?

Thames was hitting 7th or 8th with crappy hitters behind him. Wouldn't his numbers be better if he had protection like Bonds, Sheff and Dunn have had?

+ Reply to Thread