+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: OGT: Michigan Vs Oklahoma 5:00 EDT Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    Oklahoma came out in the second half and just took control. Manny Harris was in foul trouble throughout, and Douglas/Novak were simply outmatched. What UM managed to do in that game, though, is still pretty incredible. They forced Oklahoma to play at UM's pace. One more good body in there, to either bang on Griffin or a true PG to take the pressure off the rest of the guys (who simply should not be ball handlers), and the outcome might very well have been different.
    At one point late in the game UM cut the lead from about a consistent 10-12 down to 58-53, but there was just no getting over "the hump". There was a pretty solid disparity in fouls called (23-13 overall in Oklahoma's favor--meaning they had the 13), but us Basketball Experts know that wehn you play aggressively and go inside and BANG, you get the benefit of the calls.
    Griffin got his ass kicked. He had a plug up his nose and a big bandage on his left elbow for much of the game, but the talent gap was huge, and the way the two teams played exploited it more. Oklahoma is just good at the "inside-outside" game. UM, as we all know, better rain down three pointers or it's lights out. I'll tells ya, Anthony Wright scored 12 inexplicable points in the first half when Harris went out with two fouls five minutes in, and that kept UM close.
    Detroit basketball fans are not familiar with basketball players who can actually dribble and attack the basket, instead of settling for jumpers. That's why on this board there is so much animosity towards Dwyane Wade and LeBron James; because Piston fans are stuck with generic, one-dimensional, jump-shooting, no defense guards such as Rip. Maybe when they get a guard who can actually dribble and attack the basket, then they may appreciate an occasional trip to the stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Thanatos
    Detroit basketball fans are not familiar with basketball players who can actually dribble and attack the basket, instead of settling for jumpers. That's why on this board there is so much animosity towards Dwyane Wade and LeBron James; because Piston fans are stuck with generic, one-dimensional, jump-shooting, no defense guards such as Rip. Maybe when they get a guard who can actually dribble and attack the basket, then they may appreciate an occasional trip to the stripe.
    Yeah, it's like that pull-up jumper dude they had in the 80's. What was his name? You know, big smile number 11 I think....

That guy never attacked the basket either.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTre11
    Not exactly.

Diddy gave MSU shit for losing to the Top 10 teams they played.

My response was that they won big games against similar talent and you shouldn't give a team shit for losing to more talented foes.

Diddy then attempts to give Michigan props for hanging with a Top 10 team and basically says see, b-line is hangin with inferior talent.

My point, so did Dantonio against Georgia yet you bagged on them for losing. But when UM hangs, you give credit.

Stupid argument to be having regardless I guess. I took the bait. Very impressed with Michigan in the tourney FWIW.
    Tre:
    UM not only hung (hung well?) with Oklahoma, but nearly caught them late at 58-53. Then the silly basketball fag rules took over, the ones where (unlike manly football where you lose yardage and get a replay of the down with a penalty), you get "free throws", a chance to get free gay points with nobody defending you, and the one where the basketball sissies have determined that after so many ticky tack fouly poos, you are kicked out like girls at the slumber party who wear the wrong color shoes. So, basketball-football comparison null and void because basketball is a fag sport.

Also, uh, UM DID beat two top-ten teams during the season, beat a better Clemson team in the tourney, beat a better Illinois and Purdue team during the season. In other words, they didn't get PANTSED by EVERY good team they played like DingDongtonio.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Foul Disparity

I'll be the first to admit that Oklahoma was the better team. I mean we had Novak who is 6'5" at the most playing as our PF and giving up 30 lbs and 2 or 3 inches easily. Sims was trying to guard Griffin who has 3 inches and 20 lbs on him as well as ridiculous athleticism for his size. Oklahoma was more aggressive and doubled our pts in the paint so they were bound to get more calls.

However, I'm not saying there were no questionable calls go against Michigan. 2 of Manny's offensive fouls were garbage. But the 3 foul calls I specifically remember being horse shit were 2 against CJ Lee and one on Sims.

Lee stood on the baseline twice near the rim and both times was stationary and there before Griffin was there. Both times Griffin went through his body and CJ Lee was called for blocking.

Now the worst call of the game/ probably the entire season was when Sims boxed out Griffin so far that Griffin was out of bounds. Sims didn't use his hands and used his ass and got lower than Griffin to box him out. Guess what they call a foul on Sims. How do you call a foul on that? They showed Beilein after that and you could read his lips when he told Sims "Do it again". Terrible calls, but hopefully next yr we can have some more size in the post.

BTW, Zach Gibson played 2 pretty good games for a backup Center/PF for us. He was hustling by getting rebounds, blocks and especially tipping rebounds he couldn't get to back to our guards. Wouldn't mind seeing him get 10-13 min./ game next yr next to Sims so that Sims can guard the PF.

+ Reply to Thread