+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 72
FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 NBA Draft

please NO on austin daye. he's a lankier and suckier version of prince.

HW - Do you find it odd that our boy James Johnson climbed into the late Lotto and has now sunk back into the late teens?

I realise that this Draft is fairly even from 10-20 or so but I find it weird that a guy like him could rise and fall so quickly.

And what's your opinion on Ty Lawson? The guy is obviously lacking in the "measurements" but wasn't he one of the better college PG's? How can "experts" rate him so far behind the guys he out played this season?
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Honestly, is this draft that bad? It seems like there's a TON of interest in this draft, and doesnt seem too shitty imo.

2 or 3 potential all star players and decent role players.

Every single Draft that isn't top heavy is called shit by experts and fans alike...

Until the day starts to get closer and it becomes abundantly clear to all that there are many, many players who could fill a role on your team right now.

If we had 2 first round picks in the teens we could get 2 of the following:

Johnson, Lawson, Mullens, Blair, Earl Clark, Austin Daye, Terrence Williams, Hansbrough, Maynor, Teague and I'm sure there are plenty more.

I look at that group and am pretty sure we could grab a couple of quality players for our squad - guys that are gonna work hard and do their job.

If we came out of this Draft with 2 of those guys I would be pretty happy (assuming we don't miss the boat on an All-Star calibre player).

Anyone agree with that?

(NOTE: Highly unlikely we trade our seconds for a mid-first due to the cap hold)
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Quote Originally Posted by NBADraft.net

BJ Mullens Promise?

Two different sources have indicated to NBADraft.net on Friday that the Pistons have a promise in place to take BJ Mullens if he's available to the them at 15.

Mullens works well with the rebuilding Pistons as he's a player with significant upside but will take time to become a contributor. With the Pistons in the process of rebuilding their squad, Mullens offers them a potential center for the future.

We are so fucked.

I can only hope that this is a smokescreen to get someone to jump on him earlier.

P- i think johnson's fall is due to the wide range in opinions about this year's prospects. it doesn't take much for a guy to rise or fall a good bit because there are a bunch of guys where there isn't a general consensus on them. so they can be 'hot' one minute but then show up a bit overweight for a workout (as in johnson's case) and their stock can fall quickly.

i still love the kid and would draft him at #15 in a heartbeat. but i think given the uncertainty of a lot of these prospects, their stock is very prone to fluctuate fairly significantly.

as for lawson- i like the kid. but this draft literally has a bundle of pretty darn good PG prospects. most are 'undersized' but given the up tempo style of play that is becoming more fashionable and the transition to a lot of small, quick PGs, i think he has very good value. but put simply, i think there are a handful of guys who translate better to the nba than he does. he is very quick and strong but pretty limited athletically.

and while he improved his ability to hit the NCAA 3, he most definitely does not have an nba ready deep ball. lots of players coming into the nba don't. but his jump shot as a whole is pretty flat and will be even tougher for him to complete against bigger, longer, nba defenders. i wouldn't go as far as to compare him to mateen cleaves but.....there's genuine concern there.

and keep in mind-lawson thrived with a VERY talented team around him. not that he should be punished for that, but it has to be taken into consideration when you project his skills to the next level.

i think he can be a good backup PG. but i think given the depth of his position, he too is subject to being 'hot' one minute and then 'not' the next. given how close in talent that top group of PGs is, it comes down to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. and a guy who was ranked at or near the top of the half dozen or so top PGs, could easily slide to the bottom of that group, simply due to a 'numbers game'.

Some interesting first-hand impressions of Mullins....

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=47336

Many of you all have seem to have brushes with Pacers players, or just NBA players in general, and have been kind enough to post about it here. I always like reading those posts. Well, I happened to have had an opportunity myself tonight, and I thought you all might be interested in hearing about it.

I was in Manhattan for work today, and once I got to LaGuardia, spent a good bit of time ignoring my surroundings as I was talking to my wife on the cell phone. By the time I got off the phone, I was sitting in the transit bus taking us all to our plane. I look directly to the right of me, and I see these two massive femurs, and then I realize that I'm sitting next to one tall *******.

I happen to catch him look at his boarding pass, and I saw "Mullens" written on it, and realized I was sitting next to BJ Mullens. Turns out he's trying out for us tomorrow. We get off the bus, and start making our way to the plane. I was fortunate to be seated up on row 1, but his original seat was in the back of the regional jet (which some of you might know is really small and cramped). I call over to the flight attendant, noticing that the two seats on the opposite side of the row are empty, and coerce her to offer the seats to Mullens. Turns out that he took her up on the offer. I couldn't help but introduce myself by asking him whether he played ball for Ohio State. That turned into a pretty long discussion for a large portion of the flight. The flight ended at around 10:30pm, which doesn't seem like a great setup for a good night's sleep before a tryout. Given the amount of stuff we talked about, it's hard to recount all of the conversation, but here are some of the highlights:

He was surprisingly unengaged in the tryout / practice process: he mentioned how he just wrapped up a tryout with the Knicks today, and was in Detroit prior to that, but he couldn't recall who he practiced with, nor did he know who he was set to practice with tomorrow. He did know however, that he had 7 more cities to visit in the next seven days... pretty grueling, eh? Additionally, he didn't know who played at the 5 for the Pacers. When I mentioned Hibbert, Nesterovic, and Foster, he was familiar with Hibbert specifically, but didn't realize he came to the Pacers. "I haven't heard much about what happened to him, has he been any good?" That struck me as odd. My guess is that they would take the time to study the teams beforehand.

He grew up a big fan of Ohio State basketball, but really didn't follow the NBA very much. "I pretty much committed to Ohio State in the eighth grade" was a funny quote. He didn't have a dream place to play basketball for, and said he's only really followed the Cavaliers since Lebron James was brought in. He has a relationship with Greg Oden, thinks he's a hilarious guy to be around. Mentioned that Oden is at Ohio State now trying to work towards his degree. Personally seemed less driven to finish his own degree, but said "what else are you going to do over the summer?" Talked a lot about how most ball players in the public eye are limited in what they do with their spare time... which wasn't what I would have expected him to say. Also struck me funny that getting a degree was his way potentially of passing free time...

Didn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer, but someone you could hold a good conversation with. To me he seemed aloof and laid back, and not very driven, but a good guy to hang out with... a good ole midwestern boy.

Felt pretty resolute about deciding to enter into the draft: "definitely happy I'm going to play in the NBA". Seemed confident that he was going to be drafted first round. Mentioned a few times how tired he's getting of the traveling.

His favorite team he's tried out for so far was the Pistons, felt as if there might be a place in their plans for him.

When I asked him about players he'd like to emulate, he didn't have a concrete answer. He seemed to like McDyess a lot, and when I mentioned Kaman (only person that came to mind at the time), he agreed that he shared some similarities. He basically skated the question by saying there were lots of players that had features he'd like to emulate.

Has been to Indy many times before and likes the city.

I'm an above average height guy (6'4"), but he made me feel tiny. 7'0" up close is impressive. He's lean and not very bulky... not fantastic definition, but solid... I'd guess he's a good 240-50.

If he ended up emulating Kaman, and lived up to his potential of being a good post defender with above average offensive skills, he'd be worth a late first round pick for us. Not sure how he'd fit with Hibbert, but if we traded Foster around draft time, they might consider him a project @ the 5.

After meeting him tonight, that wouldn't disappoint me all that much, but my vision for a Hibbert complement would be someone more driven, angry, mean... a banger. His personality didn't seem to fit that mold. He's not an imposing presence.

Hope someone found this interesting...

I'd like us to take Austin Daye. It'd be nice to have a solid and unique guy at the 3, considering the shit luck we've had with backup 3s.

he's not unique IMO- he's a carbon copy of prince. except he's not as good a shooter or defender. and he's even more passive than prince. is THAT what you want in a backup SF...?

i think clark can play SF as can terrance williams. williams is a stud athlete and decent 3 point shooter. he can certainly improve that percentage but the point is he can shoot it. i'd take him, clark, johnson, teague, and a host of other players at #15 before i'd take daye. if we take daye we'll be getting a bust IMO.

BTW- just read something at nba.com that says we are very excited about deron washington's season in israel he had and with his development overall. apparently he could be a factor in the rotation next year.

+ Reply to Thread