+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 72
FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Gl'enn
    Most mocks have moved him up to the #17-20 range, fwiw.

I think this has to do with the derth of big men vs. the demand.

Blog Entries
    Probably. I think a lot is being read into his measurables being better than expected, too.
    Find a new slant.

Welcome to Detroit...Oregon. Home to Detroit Lake and nothing else.
    I can't figure out what Dumars could possibly be doing with three second-rounders (36, 39, 44). All three picks could probably net a decent role player, but this gives Dumars a little flexibility. He could, conceivably, trade up with the first two into, say 29 and grab something like a backup PG for Stuckey. There've been rumors flying about trading Amir; that could be done to get higher into the first round and snag BJ Mullens.

Dumars has some options to work with, but a serious lack of quality bigs in this draft really hurts the Pistons, and by so deeply committing to the cap space plan Dumars isn't exactly operating in a position of strength.

Perhaps I'm seeing this too narrowly--what do y'all think?
    [img]i17.tinypic.com/5z1kqq8.gif[/img]

If we consider all options Joe could actually be the King on Draft Day.

How many teams aren't happy with their pick slots? Plenty!

How many teams want to trade out of the first round? Plenty!

And yet some other teams want to get into the first round!

Joe could be the go between for all teams - we'll just have to wait until we actually have the cap space before any deals are finalised, since we can't trade Amir + #15 for Haywood + #5 or our seconds for a player and a 1st rounder on Draft Day cause we don't have the space at the time.

It should be the most interesting Draft Day (rumour-wise) in a long, long time for Piston fans though. I for one am hoping I'm not left disappointed again.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

well then i'd get prepared P. because while i agree with what you're saying, everything i hear makes it seem like we will NOT be looking to be aggressive like that.

something i would try to do, would be to see if there's someone on the board a team wants early in the 2nd. then trade that 2nd for a future #1.

but yeah it seems we're among those teams who are also trying to move out of the 1st. or at least it seems we would avoid acquiring a 2nd #1 as it would take away from our cap space.

cap space, schmap space. we will have plenty anyway and while i agree this draft is trash overall....there ARE guys in the top 20 who i really like and could be a big part of our future. having another pick or 2 in that range can only be a good things. unless of course you only think of the guaranteed contract and the cap space the pick would take up.

we'll see. i guess i'll have to see what joe does in FA/trade market too before i pass final judgment on his draft day moves. once the full picture is seen, maybe his draft day moves- whatever they may be- will make more sense.

but i'd prepared for disappointment now just in case. last year certainly was that way so i can definitely see this year being similar, with a 'WTF?' move or 2. (

Joe Dumars is king!
    STEW BEEF!

love dumars- always have and always will. but he has his work cut out for him this offseason. this is probably a more difficult offseason than when we lost hill. will have to see what he does with the assets he's got. i'm curious to see how it plays out.

Well, I am always prepared to be disappointed on Draft Day (it's almost an annual event).

But why couldn't Joe do this:

First Deal Announced on Draft Day:

Detroit trade all 3 of their second rounders to Washington for #5 (Jordan Hill)

The Wizards really don't wanna pony up $3.5 mil for their pick (or so the rumours go). So, they make the trade - grabbing 3 role playing rookies that Flipper can develop around his core of Arenas, Jamison and Butler.

The fact that they save almost $3 mil is a major thing, since it's more like $6 mil cause they're over the tax.

Second Deal on Draft Day:

Detroit trade Amir Johnson to New York for #8 (Stephen Curry?)

Knicks do it cause there is really no star available at #8 and they don't wanna have money tied up in lesser players right now - they wanna clear as much cap room as humanly possible for 2010.

Amir gives them an expiring contract - so BOOM! They love it. Amir's addition could also turn out to be pretty good for the Knicks, if "Super Coach" can help Amir realise his "potential"

We then Draft at #15 and you can pick whoever you want.

Point of this is:

We only use $3.5 mil of our cap space and that's to add Hill. We might even use less than that because I don't think the cap hold on the #8 pick is as much as Amir's salary.

So, we'd have 3 young players (Hill, Curry, Daye) that have potential, Prince, Rip, Stuckey, Kwame, Maxiell, AA, Bynum and approx $15 mil to spend.

That nets us:

Jordan Hill - I stated in this thread or a different one that his measurements were slightly better than Griffin's. I haven't checked his "athletic" measurements, which are up now.

Apparently he is capable of playing some C in today's NBA.

At #8 we could go for Curry and get a shooter (and we now all know how much Joe loves 3 point shooters lol) or grab James Johnson if we think he's gonna be a quality combo F. Right now I'll say we take Curry.

His shooting automatically helps and apparently he's capable of initiating the offense, which is something else Joe has mentioned (2 ball handlers). With Stuckey we have the luxury of picking a smaller SG because on D Stuck can guard the normal SG's while Curry guards the PG.

At #15 we can go for the BPA or take BJ Mullens if he's there and get a big that could help us down the road.

So, those 3 deals net us some young talent and satisfies those fans that are dying for fresh blood on the roster.

With the cap space we can still sign Boozer or another big for $10 mil and then reward Dice for his loyalty and give him the rest of our space.

Team:

C: Dice/Kwame/Mullens
    F: Boozer/Hill/Maxiell
    F: Prince/**
    G: Rip/AA/Curry
    G: Stuckey/Bynum

** With Curry and Bynum on board we can expect Stuckey to play SG more than ever before, which shift some of Rip's minutes (and AA's) to backing up Prince.

So, this is Joe hedging his bets. He grabs a "stud" to make us contenders now (Boozer) while getting the youth the team really needs to contend for the long haul.

With Kwame, Dice and Bynum expiring we also free up money for next off-season to re-sign Willy and grab another piece

I don't see NY being that desperate to shed a few million bucks. They'd have to hope they get a star at #8 so Lebron doesn't think the cupboard is bare.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread