+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: As of 3pm today, Joe Dumars is king (also, NBA teams in financial trouble)

I will sit and wait to see what he can get.

Through trades and free agency he's actually been very good over the years so it should be interesting.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Quote Originally Posted by Gl'enn
    I believe you, but do you have a link?

Could it be inferred that saying that means he's putting everything into '09 and saving nothing for '10?

That's how I'm interpreting your post.
    That's how dumars is wording it.

Joe Dumars: Pistons will make moves this summer
    by Greg Johnson | The Grand Rapids Press
    Thursday February 19, 2009, 9:00 PM

AUBURN HILLS -- Joe Dumars and the Detroit Pistons didn't make any deals before the trade deadline passed Thursday, but the president of basketball operations promised some action come summer.

"Given the fact we have to play a season next year, I think I need to use that money," Dumars said of the expected $20 million or more the Pistons are expected to have available under the NBA salary cap.

"If we weren't going to play next year I probably wouldn't do anything with it, but I think we're going to tip it off next year so I'm going to try and put a (good) team on the floor."

Dumars said options will be plenty in the summer, and that could mean a trade or trades. He laughed when asked if he might wait for the much-ballyhooed free-agent class of 2010.

"You can't wait," he said. "You can't sit here and two years down the road hope we get somebody. You have no idea what could happen. We're not going to shut down. We're going to keep going."

Dumars said he was on the phone a lot during the last 72 hours before the deadline, but nothing came close to tempting him.

He said he had given other general managers his parameters, which included not wanting to add any money to the current under-the-luxury tax position ($450,000). In addition, he didn't want to disrupt the expected cap space this summer.

"That alone will probably knock out some of the phone calls you are going to get because people know what they are going to present," he said. "You can see a lot of the deals (prior to the deadline) were where people were just getting off money."

Pistons coach Michael Curry said he never paid much attention to the trade deadline as a player, and didn't as a head coach this week.

"I try to deal with the things I can control," he said.

Rasheed Wallace, the subject of several trade rumors, listened as reporters filled him in on the trades that happened just before deadline. He said he had not paid attention, though his wife had reminded him of the deadline and a cousin called asking what he knew about the Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland rumors.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...ll_make_m.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that.

Let's see if his deeds match his words.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    He said he had given other general managers his parameters, which included not wanting to add any money to the current under-the-luxury tax position ($450,000). In addition, he didn't want to disrupt the expected cap space this summer.
    And that tells you all you need to know about how they feel about THIS season.

If someone called offering a star player at the deadline that would improve the chances of contending, Joe wasn't listening if it meant going over the tax line.
    Find a new slant.

Oh, and for the record it's threads like this that I missed.

I know I used to be the cap expert but I am now so out of the loop it's great to sit here and have someone answer all my stupid questions.

Thanks guys

And that tells you all you need to know about how they feel about THIS season.

I'd hope so.

Blog Entries
    There are some here that aren't getting the message though.

The white flag is, and has been, erected.

I don't know how they'll get more than 10,000 fans at the Palace the rest of the way.

I certainly wouldn't pay to watch this.
    Find a new slant.

I'm lucky - I can just download highlight packages!

There are some here that aren't getting the message though.

The white flag is, and has been, erected.

I don't know how they'll get more than 10,000 fans at the Palace the rest of the way.

I certainly wouldn't pay to watch this.
    I may still go to a couple (buying aftermarket tix of course). I still like nba ball.

Blog Entries
    I'm still watching on TV, but it's very painful.

It's hard to pull for a team that doesn't care and for an organization that has conceded the season.

They won't get my money until I see the changes.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread