+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18
FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that are "Dad type"

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    One thing I can absolutely hi-five Zip on is this: passionate love is not the solution, it's the problem. I think that's a very wise lesson.

And you know what? That's the short course on Buddha. There's got to be more to life than constantly being in that tug of war between passion and satisfaction. People in general just seem to be constantly wanting something and always being at least partially unsatisfied with what they get...shit, even when they get exactly what they want, it doesn't last, or doesn't completely satisfy them.

Most people just go through life expecting to be cheerful consumers of every socially acceptable pleasure, and enthusiastic bearers of children who are likely to grow up the same way. It never works out. They end up miserable at the end of it all.

If all you want is a hot girl, and then you get a hot girl, you end up happy. Well, as long as it's exactly the girl you wanted. And as long as having a hot girl is exactly what you expected it would be. And as long as you don't have to work at it it. And as long as she doesn't cost you too much money. And as long as the hot girl lasts forever, which of course she won't. And as long as she never cheats on you. It's all conditional. Even when you get what you want, you're just setting yourself up for later disappointment. If you want to be happy, you gotta figure out some way to be happy even if you don't get what you want.

If you're happy for no goddamn reason at all, no one can ever take that away from you. Thrills are way overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Swami
    One thing I can absolutely hi-five Zip on is this: passionate love is not the solution, it's the problem. I think that's a very wise lesson.

And you know what? That's the short course on Buddha. There's got to be more to life than constantly being in that tug of war between passion and satisfaction. People in general just seem to be constantly wanting something and always being at least partially unsatisfied with what they get...shit, even when they get exactly what they want, it doesn't last, or doesn't completely satisfy them.

Most people just go through life expecting to be cheerful consumers of every socially acceptable pleasure, and enthusiastic bearers of children who are likely to grow up the same way. It never works out. They end up miserable at the end of it all.

If all you want is a hot girl, and then you get a hot girl, you end up happy. Well, as long as it's exactly the girl you wanted. And as long as having a hot girl is exactly what you expected it would be. And as long as you don't have to work at it it. And as long as she doesn't cost you too much money. And as long as the hot girl lasts forever, which of course she won't. And as long as she never cheats on you. It's all conditional. Even when you get what you want, you're just setting yourself up for later disappointment. If you want to be happy, you gotta figure out some way to be happy even if you don't get what you want.

If you're happy for no goddamn reason at all, no one can ever take that away from you. Thrills are way overrated.
    I approve of this message. The REAL problem is that we try to mix thrill with reality. Your youth (until you're again, at least 30) is for thrills (and hopefully they won't kill or maim you, but if they do--well, at least you won't leave behind a couple kids and a wife)---and then when you are old enough to kind of get it, go ahead and start up the boring life cycle of mating to provreate and buying mini vans and overpriced junk to put on your coffee table and having your boring ass relatives over all the time.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Does Shawn Kemp count as a "dad-type"?

Quote Originally Posted by DennyMcLain
    Does Shawn Kemp count as a "dad-type"?
    By today's standards, definitely. Especially if he has anything to do with even half his kids.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Tahoe... going back to your zoning question. It would probably be a downright bad idea to zone off 1 small area of the house like that. You're probably running around a 5 ton condenser. If you shut off the rest of your house, 2000+ CFM would be pushing into your bedroom. You would have a pressure relief damper routing air in a loop to the furnace blower to alleviate some of that 2000 CFM, but that would cause your coil to freeze. You would have rediculous short-cycling too.

A mini-split installed in the bedroom would probably be your best, most energy efficient solution. And yes, I was thinkin about you long after the fact man :P

4 ton, 14 seer. Its a lil under 2500 sq ft, but 10' ceilings. I'm prolly pushing the 4 ton. I've used this HVAC guy on several houses I've built. Most of them have, like you said, been zone by other units...much bigger houses. He says it will work. I'm not sure how the savings happens.

To go to 2 zone its $1265 and $1840 to go to 3 zones, which I don't need for this size house(the 1200 and 1800 are just for the circuit board, btw). If the condenser runs at 100% and you are just returning the unused cold air to the blower, how are my bills going to be lower? I thought they used to have condensers that would run at 60% or something.

Oh well, thanks. I usually don't pay this much attention to these things but times are hard. Money is tight in the construction industry. Its only 1500 bucks, but if you can eliminate 15hun here and 35hun there, pretty soon you are talking about real money.

Thanks again, Ux.
    Players meeting my ASS!

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    As far as the air returning to the blower... it's to prevent a situation like 1600 CFM (400 CFM per ton, so 2000 in my last post, 1600 with 4 ton) flying into one zone. There's a damper installed that closes off the rest of the house (the zoning) so only your bedroom gets the cooling, but the pressure relief damper is needed so that 1600 CFM isn't blowing you out of bed when the AC kicks on.

In a scenario where you want to only cool such a small section of the house at night, a large portion of the air will be routed back over the evaporator coil (through the blower) that could cause it to freeze if you zone off such a large area of the house.

The '60%' condenser... they do make 2-stage condensers. At this point it's mostly the larger ones, 5 ton... but they're hitting the market in all sizes now. That might be a good fit for your situation. It would only fire the first stage at night, but use both stages during the day.

If you're getting charged 13-1800 dollars by your HVAC guy just for the circuit board... shit, I could get you a 26 SEER mini-split for the bedroom and a plane ticket for myself out there to install it for not much more than that lol. Just tryin to help though, I don't get anything from sales :P

Well I guarantee I'd give you a beer...unlike Gl'enn.

Well what if I cooled half the house? Its 4 bedrooms and maybe the office or something.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Last night I had a dream in which my mortgage payment was reduced. I shit you not.

Fucking dad type.
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread