+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: HTPC Help

HTPC Help

Anyone want to give me a primer on HTPC's?

Famous Bill Walton quotes:

"Shaq's arrogance is an insult to people who think."

Bill: "What, Phoenix? Are they still paying you?"
    Jalen: "Yeah, under the table."
    Bill: "Yeah, just like at Michigan."

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up

The best place to start looking for info is avsforum.com, specifically this thread. It is the most comprehensive guide I know for all things HTPC. Here's my quick list of tips:

1. It's never been cheaper to set up an HTPC, and there are many options available. If you don't care about how it looks, you could obtain many parts (case, disc drives, even power supplies if you're feeling lucky) from garage sales or Craigslist. The other critical parts will be better purchased new.

2. Your choice of motherboard/CPU will depend on what you want out of the PC. (I am assuming here that you're interested in playing HD video.)
    a. If you are looking at a smaller budget and don't care that you can't get surround sound out of the HDMI port, a 780G board plus a 4850e CPU are the best choices. You could substitute a 790GX board if you need a little extra graphics power.
    b. If you want surround sound through HDMI, a G45/E5200 combo will prove sufficient.
    c. If you want to play games, the choice of mobo doesn't matter as much, since you'd want a discrete graphics card. Any of the ATI Radeon cards, 3000 series and up, are best for HTPCs.

3. These types of PCs don't tend to require much power, so unless you're going for an overclocked quad-core CPU and dual graphics cards (in which case, you're probably getting the wrong kind of system!), you are better off getting a quality power supply that's rated for less than 500W. Granted, good low-wattage PSUs are in short supply these days, but Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Antec (Earthwatts series) are all excellent companies. If you're going really low power, you could go with a picoPSU rated for 110/120W, but you'd need to work at getting a system so low powered and have it remain useful.

(Sidenote: I am currently building a small HTPC-style system that would work fine with HD content, and I am using a large encyclopedia as a computer case. If anyone is interested in purchasing said system, I'd be more than happy to discuss something.)

JohnE6

outback steakhouse coupons

Hey everyone! does anyone know where to find some nice outback steakhouse coupons because I'm really craving some outback steak right now haha!

JohnE6

Hi people, does anyone know where to find some free outback steakhouse coupons because I'm really craving some outback steak right now haha!

JohnE6

Hey people! does anyone know where to find some good outback steakhouse coupons because I'm really craving some outback steak right now haha!

I hope you get buried alive with fire ants poured on your nuts. Rot in hell you bastard.

JohnE6

Hey everyone! does anyone know where to find some easy outback steakhouse coupons because I'm really craving some outback steak right now haha!

JuliaH9

Hi everyone! does anyone know where to find some cheap outback steakhouse coupons because I'm really craving some outback steak right now haha!

JuliaH9

Hey people! does anyone know where to find some cheap outback steakhouse coupons because I'm really craving some outback steak right now haha!

+ Reply to Thread