+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Courage of Detroit

The Courage of Detroit

Not sure if this was posted anywhere else here... but I think this is something that everyone will enjoy reading. I will be the first to admit, I am not a big fan of Mitch... however this is an amazing article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...oit/index.html

...apologies if this was already posted somewhere, I didnt notice it in the off-topic forum.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I realize this is getting caught up in a minor nit and side-point relative to the tone and intent of the article, but this stuck out to me for some reason:

And yet I had an idea once for a sports column: Get the four biggest stars from Detroit's four major sports together in one place, for a night out. The consensus cast at the time (1990) was clear. Barry Sanders was the brightest light on the Lions. Steve Yzerman was Captain Heartthrob for the Red Wings. Joe Dumars was the most popular of the Pistons. And Cecil Fielder was the big bat for the Tigers.
    The other names seem right. But despite his dad's death and the Finals MVP, Joe Dumars wasn't "the most popular of the Pistons". I'd have placed him behind Isiah and Laimbeer, Salley (funny as hell), Vinnie (cool nickname, pumped as hell, sank THE shot), etc. Dumars was the quiet one.
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 01-09-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    he's not behind salley. In fact he's only behind Zeke and maybe Laimbeeer imo. Though i felt all were loved, Dumars was a bigger deal than salley easily imo.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Yeah, he was my/my father's/my buddies favorite player. Maybe I'm biased, but I'd have had him at 2/3.

Dumars grew on people, but back in 1990, he wasn't the most popular -- not even close. Isiah and the Microwave were more popular, and that's just the guards. Salley was the guy all the reporters would flock to for the interviews. He was hanging with Arsenio Hall at his peak, and partying in town all the time. Dumars was obviously a "bigger deal", but I'm talking "most popular" here. Let me put it another way -- Salley was the one who got the biggest in-depth personal interview on the SI with Joe Dumars and shrunken Michael Jordan on the cover.

Yeah, and to be fair I didn't live, or hear from for that matter, Detroit over on the other side of the state where we like our basketball players to be white or quiet. The article is about Detroit the city, so maybe there he wasn't flashy enough.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    I kind of fell like Laimbeer/Salley/Vinnie/etc may have gotten more national attention but locally I remember it being Isaiah and Joe first.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Joe was my favorite, but I grew up in Northern Michigan. He was the type of player I liked (my favorite 3 were Dan Majerle, Joe and Steve Smith).
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

He was liked/respected at the end of his carreer, but Zeke and Lambs were more liked early on. I'm not sure Zeke and Lambs were ever respected off the court, but JoeD sure was.

I'm trying to think how many years Zeke played before JoeD was even drafted???
    Players meeting my ASS!

Laimbeer is a special case, because his popularity was so tied to being the baddest of the Bad Boys, the Prince Of Darkness. If there's such a thing as negative popularity, Laimbeer had it, and fed off it like it was candy.

Rodman and Salley were the kids, with the childish personalities and youthful exuberance. Of course they were gonna be more popular than Buddha and Dumars, the quiet grown-ups.

+ Reply to Thread