+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 87
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Lions Offseason/Preseason News Thread

And Tahoe is right, damn it!
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    Bodden will depend on what system the new coach brings in. He seems like he just doesn't fit the Cover 2 in the slightest but he was much better in man-to-man.

They might ask Bodden to re-structure his contract.

Culpepper too.

If they won't then it's safe to say both will be gone.

If this is true, I agree with him. I'm not a fan of taking an OT and cutting Backus to eat his dead money.

Just go all defense (and WR/OG in the 3rd/4th maybe) and replace Backus next year if he stinks.

Tom Kowalski on WDFN: Jeff Backus not powerful enough to play guard

by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com Thursday January 15, 2009, 9:54 AM

Some are speculating that the Detroit Lions will target an offensive tackle with their first overall pick in April's NFL draft.
    The mindset is that if the team gets a strong left tackle to replace Jeff Backus, the eight-year veteran can slide over to guard, giving the team two picks for the price of one.
    But, assuming the Lions' selection is strong enough to start right away, can Backus make the transition to guard? Don't bet on it, says MLive Insider Tom "Killer" Kowalski.
    "No, I don't think he can," Kowalski tells WDFN-AM's Sean Baligian on It Is What It Is. "And I base that on talking to other people who know that position a lot better than I do. I don't think – at least what I've heard – is that they don't think he's powerful enough to be good in that spot.
    "That's why, if it's not a quarterback in the first spot, I think it's going to be a defensive player. I think it'll be a linebacker or defensive lineman. Because as much as you may not like Backus, or think that (the position) needs to be upgraded, I think that's a position they're (not) going to deal with right now. The money just doesn't make any sense; they've already paid him a ton of money.
    "Again, I'm not ruling anything out. But my guess is that they're going to go toward defense, if not quarterback."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Yep, that's the ticket. Backus isn't a strong enough guard. Take LeVitre for a G and replace Backus next year.

I would consider Percy Harvin at 20 if he were there, the man has Hester type ability and could actually play in the slot as well.

But all else I would go defense. We were just shit last year at it and there's no QB truly worthy of being taken number 1, so defense first and a G in the third, that's my philosophy. I am all for replacing Backus next year.

The 20th pick will prolly be easier to move than the 1st. There isn't a clear cut #1 this year so I'm thinking no team will give a ton to get it.

The 20th is a different story.

Yeah, but I want to keep the 20th. We can get a very good or great player there and not tie up a shitload of cap in them (which is my concern at no. 1).

I wouldn't trade far from 20 but if we rec'd the 24th and a 3rd or 4th rounder and we thought we could still get our guy at 24....I'd do something.

Well outside of Hanson who deserves the respect to be brought back (sadly for him), I see no one on the free agent list that should be brought back. I assume most will be unemployed next season since they, for the most part, are not NFL-caliber anyhow.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    I would bring back Moran Norris. To his credit, he did a damn good job as the lead blocker for Kevin Smith in the final 8 games of the season (which is when Smith was most effective).

I'd cut Jerome Felton.

But yeah, I suppose you could make a case to re-sign Paris Lenon and put him at OLB, since he won't find another starting MLB job anywhere else.

Other than that, there's not much else to re-sign.

+ Reply to Thread