+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 87
FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Lions Offseason/Preseason News Thread

Blog Entries
    Can Gosder Cherilus play guard?

If we draft an OT, somebody needs to change positions, and the Killer wrote an article last week that said Backus would not move to guard (although I'm not sure why...)

I think Backus moving to guard would be not only be better for the team, but also make him a more effective player...

It depends on Linehan's offense. If he utilizes the o-line very aggresively (pulling guards and zone blocking), then Backus will need to remain at tackle.

Why? He's doing fine at RT.

EDIT: At least put up "edit" so I don't look like a doofus. Backus cannot play guard, too small and weak. Cherilus probably can, but if we draft an OT, just cut Backus. He's not all that great anyway, and you don't want to "demote" or discourage Cherilus after having a decent season.
    Last edited by DrRay11; 01-23-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Yeah, Backus cannot generate the power needed for inside push that a G requires.
    The more effective plan would be to move GC to G and JB to RT, with the drafted player taking over as LT.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Steal every good coach and player you can...especially from the Titans

Lions | Given permission to speak with Burke
    Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:52:19 -0800
    Jim Wyatt, of The Tennessean, reports the Detroit Lions have been granted permission to speak with Tennessee Titans defensive assistant/quality control coach Matt Burke. Burke is expected to be elevated to a higher position under new head coach Jim Schwartz.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Lions | Savage not interested in joining front office
    Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:23:36 -0800
    Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports former Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage is not interested in joining the Detroit Lions in a front office position.
    Cogent right there.
    Players meeting my ASS!

My free agent pruirity list goes like this:
    #1 - Haynesworth - clearly dominant, has ties to Schwartz, major position of need.
    #2 - Tank Johnson - backup plan for Haynesworth.
    #3 - Vilma - versatile ballhawk, another huge position of need.
    #4 - Khalif Barnes - big upgrade at LT. Allows some draft felxibility.
    #5 - Peppers - stud, but need isn't as strong at DE as it is for some of the other positions.
    #6 - Jon Runyan - RT, could give Cherilius the chance to move to G or LT, depending on draft.
    #7 - Takeo Spikes - backup plan for Vilma. We almost had him last season. Improved coaching personnel may help us this time. Showed he can still play.
    #8 - Amani Toomer - veteran, runs good routes, good enough to keep teams from triple teaming CJ.
    #9 - Bo Scaife - young and solid at TE.
    #10 - Ryan Fitzpatrick - young and smart. Didn't win in Cinci but a much better backup than anything else we have. Experienced for his age.
    #11 - Jarrad Page - probably not too expensive and a nice talent addition at safety.
    #12 - Dunta Robinson - another DB, only this time at corner, paired with Bodden is much better than last season.
    #13 - Angelo Crowell - OLB isn't the top need but this team has 40 needs.

Pair this with a nice draft and we're competitive next season. Emphasis on competitive.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

What about Atogwe as a ballhawking complement to Bullocks? I would love to get Scaife and Vilma as well. Then we'd be well on our way to righting this ship and fast... especially if we can get Alphonso Smith and Alex Mack with the second two of our top three picks.

Not bloody likely, but one can hope.

Blog Entries
    I love OJ Atogwe, dude is like a poor mans Ed Reed.

and I like Angelo Crowell, he missed all last season due to an injury so he could be a nice 'buy low' guy...

I guess the Lions had a meeting last night with all of the season ticket holders and the staff. I'm not sure what came out of it, but I know the topic of getting rid of their ridiculous uniforms was brought up and actually considered.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Adam Schefter said that the coaching staff said there is only 3 players that are "untouchable" this offseason...CLIFF AVRIL was on that list...

so the staff has penciled in Avril to start at right defensive end, which will allow Dewyane White to move to the left which is where he was best at...

So I think this is a hint that we're planning on staying with the 4-3, since Avril could never play end in a 3-4.

+ Reply to Thread