+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird Science

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/a...ertU238Lab.htm

This was the most elaborate Atomic Energy educational set ever produced, but it was only only available from 1951 to 1952. Its relatively high price for the time ($50.00) and its sophistication were the explanation Gilbert gave for the set's short lifespan. Today, it is so highly prized by collectors that a complete set can go for more than 100 times the original price.
    The set came with four types of uranium ore, a beta-alpha source (Pb-210), a pure beta source (Ru-106), a gamma source (Zn-65?), a spinthariscope, a cloud chamber with its own short-lived alpha source (Po-210), an electroscope, a geiger counter, a manual, a comic book (Dagwood Splits the Atom) and a government manual "Prospecting for Uranium."
    Click the image to view the full version
    The image above has been resized. Click on it to see the full version.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I would be glowing in the dark today if I had that as a kid!

"Brain decline' begins at age 27"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7945569.stm

Blog Entries
    Not really "weird", but "pretty effing cool" science.

Veteran LA police detective charged with murder

By RAQUEL MARIA DILLON, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Jun 8, 11:33 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – A veteran detective was charged with murder Monday in the slaying of her ex-boyfriend's wife in 1986 — a crime that went unsolved for more than two decades as she rose through the Los Angeles Police Department ranks.

Detective Stephanie Lazarus, 49, could be sentenced to death if convicted of breaking into the victim's condominium on Feb. 24, 1986, and repeatedly biting, beating and shooting the woman.

Lazarus, who joined the force in 1983, was identified as a suspect through a recent DNA match of saliva taken from bite marks on Sherri Rasmussen's body, said Deputy Chief Charlie Beck.

Lazarus' husband, Scott Young, who works as a detective in the San Fernando Valley, knew nothing about the slaying, Beck said.

"None of us blames him. I don't know if he's been interviewed yet, but he will be, as will a lot of people," he said.

Lazarus was not a suspect at the time of Rasmussen's death because detectives believed that two robbers who had attacked another woman in the victim's Van Nuys neighborhood were to blame.

The case file mentioned Lazarus because she had once dated the victim's husband, John Ruetten, but investigators did not pursue her as a suspect until DNA tests recently showed the attacker was a woman.

Detectives obtained a DNA sample from their colleague in late May and arrested her Friday at police headquarters, where she worked across the hall from the homicide detectives.

Eric Rose, a spokesman for the Police Protective League, said he didn't know whether Lazarus had retained a lawyer.

Attempts to locate Lazarus' husband were not immediately successful.

Lazarus worked patrol duty in the San Fernando Valley when she joined the force. She eventually was promoted to detective and since 2006 has worked in a unit that tracks stolen art.

Lazarus was being held without bail and is scheduled for arraignment Tuesday.

Prosecutors have not decided whether to seek the death penalty, district attorney's spokeswoman Jane Robison said.
    Find a new slant.

Teenage girl discovers not simply a new supernova, but a new type of supernova!

http://www.areavoices.com/astrobob/?blog=37663

Fuck! My daughter better get her shit together.

Up damn it! Up!
    STEW BEEF!

An interesting read on why modern scientists are boring:

http://medicalhypotheses.blogspot.co...s-so-dull.html

Personally, I think it's missing talk about overspecialization, but I might have my chicken and egg mixed up.

And here's some research that I find troubling... I have a hard time thinking of "bitter" as some kind of mental _disease_:

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...,4544029.story

Blog Entries
    I haven't read this yet, but this headline makes me think it's going to be ridiculous.

Great white sharks stalk victims like human serial killers
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread